Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Vintage Camera Club Thread

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Lechner Pre-WW1 Austrian Focal Plane Shutter Outfit

Forgot I had this...I'll have to pull it out again.
5253382082_e091d02883_b.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I like having a few vintage cameras around for decor purposes. Sort of gives the 'film noir private eye' or 'hardboiled newspaper reporter' vibe to the ol' office environment.

But you guys who actually know how to use that old gear really knock me out!

martinsantos

Practically Family
Hi all.

Very impressives cameras in this thread! Congratulations!

I can't say that i collect cameras, as I really use all them. Leica III, IIIf (and some lenses), Zeiss Contax II, Zeiss Contessa, Zeiss Super Ikonta III, Voigtlander Bessa.

And still crazy to develop and enlarge all this (of course all in black and white. Color is too difficult), with the proper formulary and raw chemicals.

These cameras proved me that can give outstanding results, ever those without coating. I'm showing here one I took with Leica IIIF with Elmar 3,5cm (from 1932). Film Tri-X Pan.

Regards,

Martin

MemorialDoImigrante

rlk

I'll Lock Up
I like the idea of having an old style Press Photographer camera with B&W Polaroid type film to take pictures of some of the Fedora Lounge Events out this way.

Unfortunately only 1 size of Polaroid Pack Film(Fuji) remains available and you need the appropriate back and holder.

martinsantos

Practically Family
I think that maybe can be easier to use a press camera (like a Graflex or Speed Graphic) with the regular black and white 4x5". Then is easy and quick to make copies (not enlargements) from the negatives. In a press routine was possible to get dry copies in 15 minutes after the photographer arrived the laboratory.

Some of my cameras drift into the seventies but I hope you will accept this group from my collection of film cameras. All were used in their day, though today I shoot with mostly with a Leica M8.

cameras.jpg

From the left, a Leica M3 with single stroke wind lever, early Leicaflex SLR, Rolleiflex 2.8 Planar, Zeiss Contarex Bullseye mounted with a wonderful 85 f2 Zeiss lens. In the foreground, light meters for the Leica M3 and for a Minox 16mm spy camera, which was hiding somewhere when I went to collect it for this photo.

You can look a little closer here:
http://www.avertedimagination.com/hats/cameras.jpg

martinsantos

Practically Family
Beautiful collection! Great cameras!! Rollei and M3 are always a pleasure to shoot.

After started with rangefinders I never more looked about reflex cameras - except to the Contarex. I borrowed one once from a friend; just falled in love.

The meters are working accurate? It's hard to find one OK! (I had luck to find one Weston Master II, still boxed and is OK, on a flea market).

Martin

Some of my cameras drift into the seventies but I hope you will accept this group from my collection of film cameras. All were used in their day, though today I shoot with mostly with a Leica M8.

cameras.jpg

From the left, a Leica M3 with single stroke wind lever, early Leicaflex SLR, Rolleiflex 2.8 Planar, Zeiss Contarex Bullseye mounted with a wonderful 85 f2 Zeiss lens. In the foreground, light meters for the Leica M3 and for a Minox 16mm spy camera, which was hiding somewhere when I went to collect it for this photo.

You can look a little closer here:
http://www.avertedimagination.com/hats/cameras.jpg

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Pedantic correction: There's no such thing as a 16mm Minox camera. They use 9.5mm film, producing an 8x11mm negative.

I've owned several Minoxes since I was a kid in the 60s. They produce amazingly good, unique looking results from those teeny negatives. This 1956 model IIIs has been my daily carry-everywhere camera for over 15 years:

minox.jpg

Beautiful collection! Great cameras!! Rollei and M3 are always a pleasure to shoot.

After started with rangefinders I never more looked about reflex cameras - except to the Contarex. I borrowed one once from a friend; just falled in love.

The meters are working accurate? It's hard to find one OK! (I had luck to find one Weston Master II, still boxed and is OK, on a flea market).

Martin

Thanks! Yes, the meters still work, including the one built into the Rollei...though I have to admit that most of my film work was done using more recent Leica M and R cameras with built-in meters.

Pedantic correction: There's no such thing as a 16mm Minox camera. They use 9.5mm film, producing an 8x11mm negative.

I've owned several Minoxes since I was a kid in the 60s. They produce amazingly good, unique looking results from those teeny negatives. This 1956 model IIIs has been my daily carry-everywhere camera for over 15 years:

minox.jpg

Thank you for that correction! The Minox is the one camera I never used - it came from an uncle who knew I'd enjoy having it. I was thinking that it used the same film size used in the Minolta mini cameras that my mother brought back from Hong Kong in the 1960s... but I guessed wrong. Now I have to go find where I stashed that Minox to have a closer look!

martinsantos

Practically Family
Thanks! Yes, the meters still work, including the one built into the Rollei...though I have to admit that most of my film work was done using more recent Leica M and R cameras with built-in meters.

I saw your site and photos, very very good.

I never had much luck about selenium meters - and i had a few cameras with them. Rollei, Contessa, Contax III, Contaflex Super. All meters never worked (with me, of course). Just my first camera - Praktica Super TL - had built-in a CdS meter, but not uncommon to have it fooled.

I exanged the Contax III for a II, I preferred it a lot. As I like to photograph people, usually I use sunny-16 rule at streets (in fact a variation I learned at the Leica Manual, and works very well, ever to slides!). And in interiors I prefer my old friend, a Lunasix 3.

Martin

Giftmacher

One Too Many
In my town I recently found a shop, which is able to order 127 roll film for my Zeiss Ikon Tengor II. box camera from 1931.

DSCN2331.jpg

Last edited:

Randy

Familiar Face
I have one of those too (Zorki 1)- really fun to use and takes surprisingly good pictures. It's my walk-around camera much of the time.

- Randy

(p.s. I like your choice of platform for that picture)

Dreispitz

One Too Many
I have one of those too (Zorki 1)- really fun to use and takes surprisingly good pictures. It's my walk-around camera much of the time.

- Randy

(p.s. I like your choice of platform for that picture)

Well, there is not that much of a choice of printing paper these days :(

I also do like this Zorky! It is so great to use and especially the finder is bright as hell! The rangefinder is acurate but usually I shoot hypofocally.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran