Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Vintage Twinkie

Zig2k143

Practically Family
Tommy Fedora said:
My brother was a Twinkie fanatic but it never really caught on with me. I was more of a Ring Ding (the BIG original) man with an occasional Turkish Taffy for diversion. He also liked those marshmallow covered Hostess cup cakes that I thought were gross.

MmMMm Ring Ding.....

Funny Bonez was good too.. I just can't get enough of Peanut Butter.

Classydame

One of the Regulars
Adelaidey said:
I had heard that Twinkies were banana flavored back then. Hmm, I'd like to try the new banana Twinkie, but I hate the taste of artificial banana flavoring... I'm sure I'd have loved them back before the war, when they probably used real bananas somewhere in the process, but nowadays, I doubt it. :rolleyes:

My sentiments exactly! The artificial banana flavoring is not the same as the real thing. I am sure that the 1930's version would of tasted better than the current version.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Who knows? Nobody leaves them lying around! :p

Twinkies have meat products in them, so I'm unlikely to ever try them. I think originally they had lard and now they have "beef byproducts" which - yeah, I'll pass.

lagunie

New in Town
Coast Guard twinkies

One of the stranger (and amusing) memories of my Coast Guard basic training was the 10am 'twinkie' break. Really, we would be in the middle of doing something that would make us men and defenders of our country and in the middle of whatever the 'twinkie' cart pulled up exactly at 10am. I kid you not.

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
Viola said:
Who knows? Nobody leaves them lying around! :p

Twinkies have meat products in them, so I'm unlikely to ever try them. I think originally they had lard and now they have "beef byproducts" which - yeah, I'll pass.

*barf* I don't think I've had a Twinkie in over 10 years, and this is a good reaffirmation why.

:eek:fftopic: I was making a vegetarian pot pie for supper the other night and because I am lazy I did not feel like going through the hassle of making my own pie crust, I used the refrigerated Pillsbury stuff. Only when I got the thing in the oven did it notice that the dough had lard in it :eusa_doh: Oh well, it tasted good!

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
I read about twinkies in comic books back when I was a kid but had no idea what they actually were. When I was down in the States in my early 20's I saw some in a grocery store and had to try one. What a disappointment that was. While not really bad, it sure wasn't good. I remember it was much like eating wet toilet paper wrapped in drier lint - it had pretty much no taste at all, except for a cloying oily feel that was left on the back of my tongue (more a texture than a taste). I have eaten much worse, but usually under duress or in the name of "politeness" in other countries.:p Still, I see no reason to eat food that isn't really good, particularly if I have to pay money for it.

Fortunately we don't all like the same things but I really don't see what the fuss over these things is all about.[huh]

de Stokesay

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mom was started her career as secretary in the paleontology lab for one of the major oil companies. The lab building was truly vintage - probably built 1910 or so. The big plus for Mom was it was close to home, and since it was an old building in a really dusty area, she didn't have to invest in the wardrobe she'd need to work at the head office (where she ended up decades later). Mom started working there in her mid-20's and cashed out at 38 years.

One of the guys in the lab (who went on to be VP of the company) accidentally knocked his afternoon Twinkie over the back of a bank of file cabinets in the office. Ten plus years later (in the mid 60's), the property was donated to become part of Cal-State Dominguez. Movers came to move the a lot of things, including the loaded file cabinets to storage, before everything was bulldozed (five drawer high, about the same vintage as the building - really heavy in other words).

When they got the file cabinets pulled out, among the assorted debris found behind, there laid Rod's Twinkie, covered with some dust, but still soft, no decay...but more telling, completely untouched by various bugs & such that inhabited the building. He bottled it up as a memento and all reports are he kept it on his desk at various posts around the country after that - Alaska, Illinois, Texas, etc. I'll have to give hime a call & see if he still has it one of these days. I know his kids (my age) all thought it was hilarious but disgusting.

And there is also the theory that all of the preservatives & stuff in modern processed food is why people these days don't look nearly as old as similarly aged people in the 20s-40s.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
de Stokesay said:
Fortunately we don't all like the same things but I really don't see what the fuss over these things is all about.[huh]

Call it "lunch box nostalgia." For a lot of us, the school day wasn't complete without opening the dinner pail to find a boloney sandwich on white bread, a bruised apple, and a pack of Twinkies. After a while the lunch box itself took on a permanent smell of these items, and now, at their very mention, we turn into third graders again.

Me, I never especially cared for Twinkies. I preferred the individual-sized Table Talk Lemon Pies, which I don't think were distributed outside of New England. Picture an actual round pie, with full top and bottom crust, but only four inches in diameter, in its own tiny little pan. Much better than the Hostess so-called "Fruit Pies," although I would eat those too if I was desperate.

Flivver

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
Me, I never especially cared for Twinkies. I preferred the individual-sized Table Talk Lemon Pies, which I don't think were distributed outside of New England. Picture an actual round pie, with full top and bottom crust, but only four inches in diameter, in its own tiny little pan. Much better than the Hostess so-called "Fruit Pies," although I would eat those too if I was desperate.

Those Table Talk Junior pies were made here in Worcester Mass. When I was a kid, we used to go to the Table Talk Bakery on Green Street in Worcester to buy slightly damaged pies at a huge discount. Their apple pies are still my favorite.

Table Talk Junior pies are still sold in markets and discount stores here in Central Mass. Can you still get them in Maine?

BlancheDubois

Familiar Face
When I was growing up it was always Little Debbies around our house for lunch bags and after school snacks.

Subvet642

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine said:
Oh yes, you can still find them in any grocery store, sometimes on special at four for a dollar.

It's funny, I grew up with Table Talk jr's, but when I moved to Boston after I got out of the Navy (I grew up in Billerica, Mass.), I saw them packaged as Frisbie Pies. Otherwise, the same package design, just different name. [huh]

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I've seen Table Talks in NYC and Westchester.

What's the brand name of mini fruit pies sold in eastern Canada, eg at Loblaws? Those are awfully good. We always make sure and take a couple for the train ride back from Montreal, along with beaucoups d'autres nomnoms.

der schneider

One of the Regulars
I dont believe every thing I read. but I have a few twinkie tales

moms dogs would get one for their birthday every year.

also a favorite treat in the lunch box.

I was on a 18th century outing with friends who take there time warp very seriously. the leader specifically said no twinkie's or modern stuff.

after a few days on the river and the woods eating off the land and living like savages as we prepared to go our seperate ways while fueling our vehicles for the ride home the leader produced a box of twinkies and gave us each a pair. he said we all earned them.

every since, we have refered to them as gold bars of goodness.
The captain always pays in gold:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner