Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thedi Leathers Shawl Collared A-1 Cossack

I've been a fan of Theodoros' work for a couple of years now. I love flipping through his FB and site to see the unique designs and finishes he creates. Problem is that we see very few in the wild, and only the cafe racers are available through Thurston.
Last year Epaulet sold 2 models of Thedi jackets: a cafe racer...and this shawl collared A-1 Cossack style.
6N6mdEf.jpg

A bit of back-story:
I've wanted/ hunted for a Himel Heron for a long time, but they always eluded me. Then at Inspiration I tried one on, and the cut just didn't look right on me.
I've owned an LVC Menlo which I wasn't happy with (even though I got the color to look better), so I sold it. The Bretronaut and MF Campus jacket look great on others, but they each have their own issues for me. After my custom GW I've become very picky about the fit of my leather jackets.
When this Thedi A-1 came up, I couldn't resist! Sure the seller had 0 feedback, and the measurements were initially off (he later sent me photos with the tape), but it looked to be a perfect fit.
So I dove in.
On to the jacket: First off, I love the color- dark brown chocolate with no artificial aging. Contrast stitching, horn buttons, leather facings, and tan liner.
gIXcV7m.jpg

6MejAYo.jpg

kJcwVgu.jpg

ZqQzD7I.jpg

Dqw4LYP.jpg

S9sWVwc.jpg

QNx9us4.jpg

The Italian horsehide is different than I've felt before. It's spongier if that makes sense. More like broken in Steerhide or maybe Deerskin. I think the overall jacket weight is lighter than my Shinki one, but the hide is slightly thicker. There is no rigidity at all! This is a bit of a surprise as even vintage horsehide has that bit of stiffness to it. I think PN nailed the feel as "luxurious". Wearing the jacket is more like wearing a blanket rather than a cardboard box. (you guys know what I mean ;) )
The fit:
Y6CkZdX.jpg

3GegdXE.jpg

I like slim sleeves because I'm not a big guy, and at 5'10 I like a 25" back length. BA-BING!
The sleeves are a touch long, but please keep in mind that this is an off the rack Medium. I would call it a 38 or maybe "vintage" 40. My peeve is always the front length on jackets. I like the look of a 2" drop, and this one delivers!
I'm trying to figure out the collar. This one has been pressed flat/open to the second button, but I like these to have a bit more of a roll so I'm gonna HWT it to shape it a little differently.
U9VQEwp.jpg

Hx9aQh2.jpg

OX48Vov.jpg

All in all, I think I lucked out! Only issue is a button coming off, but it's still there and an easy fix. Thedi gives you an extra backer and button- nice touch.
Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

Cooperson

One Too Many
Stunning jacket handymike, I really like it and the fit looks great. I've never even considered shawl collared jackets but this I could definitely wear. Sounds like it's heavy but quite soft, my kudu has a similar feel, I bet you'll wear it a lot. Definite keeper!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
That is one sharp looking Thedi jacket and great pictures as well. The only big question mark to me is your avatar that makes me wonder if you might be assessing for possible microwave invasion from aliens? :eek:

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
Lovley Jacket .. some really nice touches like the inside pocket finishing and the under collar zig-zag stitching ..... sweet :)

pawineguy

One Too Many
Beautiful jacket! - when these first hit the Epaulet website there was rightly a large buzz about them. I think you really nailed the description of the Italian HH, it's the softest, while still being substantial, leather I've ever handled. The fit is fantastic, the sleeves are about where I would like them, but that's up to the individual. I notice that he's pretty generous with his sleeve length on his standard sizes. Very nice proportions on the collar, pockets, bottom band, etc...

I believe that Carrie is trying to work out how to handle orders for other Thedi jackets so that we can start seeing more of them around here. Theodoros is designing some of the nicest jackets right now, and his hides are high quality also. He's taken a bit of a different path, emphasizing design without using the usual (and pricey) famous tanneries, which seems to keep his pricing at a reasonable level.

Congratulations on a great jacket, wear it in good health.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
It appears that Thedi is getting some well deserved traction on this forum. Unfortunately, I was out of the country when @pawineguy's decided to sell his black XL Thedi CR that went to Australia. :( @handymike you really hit a home run with this one that really looks great!

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
A truly beautiful jacket, I really like it and for an off rack jacket it fits you very well.

You have a winner here, congrats!

Handymike, that's as good as it gets. Beautiful, unique cut, perfect fit, first in class craftsmanship. Damn brother. That's a winner if there ever was one and you wear it very, very well! Congrats!

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just echoing what everyone else has said. Outstanding looking jacket and awesome fit!

I know the A1 is a very early design but something about it still looks modern and just plain "cool".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner