Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thick as Thieves suits... late '50s, early '60s styling

Jovan

Suspended
Just thought I'd give you guys who are into "mod" or Ivy League style that my friend from the Style Forum just opened his own suiting business called Thick as Thieves. (He is the shorter guy in the Showroom section of the website.)

The jackets are available in one button peaked lapel (with two sleeve buttons) and three button notched lapel (with four). The jackets feature narrow lapels, ticket pockets, and dual vents. Trousers feature frog mouth pockets, no pleats, and one back pocket. Hand made, floating canvas, English fabrics. Sizes 36-42 even.

He has a pretty modest price since it's a small business, $450 per suit. The sleeves and inseam are also unfinished to 26" and 38" respectively ready for alterations, but they can be done to fit you and with working buttonholes on the sleeves for an extra $50.

Check it out! Be sure to contact him should you have any questions. www.thickasthievesla.com

Tumbleweed

New in Town
Don't mistake no posts for little interest, this place isn't quite as busy as Styleforum.

I'm a fan of the mod look, but the fabrics on display seem a bit dull. Do they have any others? I picked up a fantastic suit (3-piece, unpadded rope shoulders) on ebay a while back, dark blue with electric blue pinstripes/flecks. Just waiting for the vest and trousers to be let out, since it seems to have been made for an emaciated heroin addict.

Anachronist

New in Town
I just received my suit from him, and it's fantastic. It's probably the nicest suit I've seen in person.

He will work with you via email to get exactly what you want, but a word to the wise: contrary to what Jovan said, unless you specify otherwise, he will finish the hems and sleeves to your provided measurements - INCLUDING working buttonholes. This is a nice touch if you know your measurements are correct, but if you don't want it, make sure you say so.

Additionally, Jovan, from what I understand he is intentionally not publishing prices and wishes people to contact him for a quote. It's been a year and business has really been taking off for him, so I'm not sure the price you mentioned is still accurate.

I'm going to be posting some pics of my new duds on SF soon, so if you want I'll put them up in this thread, too.

Regards,
Alexander

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
CharlesB said:
I'm def checking this out as I'm a smaller guy and my style is Mod/IVYLeague early60s/late50s

Custom is cool, but as a smaller guy, eve n thirties is more common in your size. But the commonality of sixties stuff in your size means you can have your pick of great stuff for cheap. Lucky you.

I have gotten to the point that when I find stuff, if it is nto twenty bucks or less in a small size, i don't even pick it up. Not enough demand. But I do dig the stuff.

Ying Ko

New in Town
SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC...BUT STILL MOD

Wondering what the Fifties-Sixties era of suits is called. The "Golden Era" of suits covers the approximate time period of 1930 to 1950. Maybe the Fifties-Sixties era could be called "the Silver Age", you know like they do in the comics? Or maybe "the Post-Modern Era", as reflected in art and music of the Fifties and Sixties?

That "Thick as Thieves" stuff looks great. I wonder if my stocky, horse-like legs would look good in peg leg trousers. Maybe not. Maybe they could make a looser-fitting trouser for me.

Jovan

Suspended
They can. The standard is about a 14" opening if I understand right, but I've asked Jason and he said he can widen them if needed. I like 16" myself... just tapered enough.

I've only heard this period being called the "atomic age" before.

Fu Manchu

One of the Regulars
One Button

I really dig the one button suit that TaT offers. It's really sleek looking, and the samples that they have posted on their site look really sharp. You can bet that I'll be saving my pennies for one of those.

Feraud

Bartender
Fu Manchu said:
I really dig the one button suit that TaT offers. It's really sleek looking, and the samples that they have posted on their site look really sharp. You can bet that I'll be saving my pennies for one of those.
The great thing about a one button jacket is to avoid all the "which button to button" drama some people stress over. :)

Fu Manchu

One of the Regulars
Meh

Thanks Charles, but I think that my attraction to the TaT suits is their excellent tailoring. They really do a great job - it will be worth the wait, methinks.

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou