Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thin Man on TCM New Year's Eve 2009

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Beginning at 8 pm eastern, 5 pm Pacific on New Year's Eve, TCM will be showing all of the Thin Man movies in sequence, concluding at 6:45 am eastern, 3:45 Pacific on New Year's Day. Could there be a better way to ring out 2009 and ring in 2010?

Levallois

Practically Family
These are amongst my favorite movies of all time - the banter between Nick and Nora is the best. The first movie (and the best of the series) "The Thin Man" was nominated for four Academy Awards including best picture and best actor for William Powell. Some people are put off by the constant drinking but they need to get over it. Happy New Year!

John

Levallois

Practically Family
AmateisGal said:
Drat! If only I got TCM...but alas, I have no cable and no channels whatsoever!

You can always buy the box set including all the Thin Man movies and a documentary about William Powel and Myrna Loy . . . . . .

The3RDMan

New in Town
The Thin Man series, love them all!

Watching them invariably gets me thirsty;) ....curse you, Mr. Charles!

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
I bought the whole series through Amazon .com. I bought them a disc at a time. The nice thing about that was that a seller (forgot who) sent me an episode for free. It was a Thank You for doing business with them .

Christy

One of the Regulars
This was the first time I have seen The Thin Man. It was excellent! It was so funny. I missed some parts because I had to keep pausing it while I was making dinner and I ran out of time for pausing it (TIVO).

I'm watching After the Thin Man now and it's just as funny as the first so far. I'll end up missing some of it also because I need to go set my hair. These movies are definitely worth purchasing, I could watch them over and over again!

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Sadly I no longer have TCM.:(
Luckily I own those DVDs. :)
Since the first movie ends with New Year's Eve and the next picks up at the party at the Charles' in San Francisco the programming is perfect for tonight.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Naphtali

Practically Family
"The Thin Man" is an example of movie being significantly different from - and more entertaining than - the novel on which is is [loosely] based. Hammett's Nick and Nora have names in common with MGM's. The novel is bereft of the humor and repartee of the movie. I wonder whether Hammett's politics were the reason for their lack. I have difficulty understanding how MGM selected the novel as a basis for the screenplay and movie it spawned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ