Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things I'm Sick of Hearing at Job Interviews...

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
That's also #1 on my list of "Things I'm Sick of Hearing in Job Discussions."
I've always suspected folks who say this are secretly proud of all the crap jobs they put up with over the years, and eversoslightly disdainful of anyone who didn't do the same.
But I don't wanna judge or nuthin'.

lindylady

A-List Customer
Here's one: "You'll be hearing from us within a few weeks."

What does that mean? 2 weeks? 3? 4? Never? The employer either doesn't call or sends you a rejection letter in the mail. :rage:

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
A few years ago I was being interviewed by a dry, stern looking manager, and one of the first questions she asked me was to say five words that described me. Its harder than you would think under pressure because you don't want to come off as a superman, or as being too humble either. I really wasn't in the mood for her or the job at the time and I thought to myself " its going to be one of THOSE interviews ". Consequently, I told her that I was hard-working and to count that as two words even though it was hyphenated.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
lindylady said:
Here's one: "You'll be hearing from us within a few weeks."

What does that mean? 2 weeks? 3? 4? Never? The employer either doesn't call or sends you a rejection letter in the mail. :rage:

It's things like this that make me feel like a little dog being made to jump up for a biscuit being dangled just out of reach -- keep jumping, and maybe he'll toss you the treat.

I called the company where I interviewed twice this week to check in, per their instructions, and neither time got a call back. Instead, I got a short email telling me to call again next week. Jump little doggie, jump!

Fletch said:
That's also #1 on my list of "Things I'm Sick of Hearing in Job Discussions."
I've always suspected folks who say this are secretly proud of all the crap jobs they put up with over the years, and eversoslightly disdainful of anyone who didn't do the same.
People are always proud of getting thru tough times and difficult things. I have friends with jobs where they don't have to produce they just have to be there and it is blindingly boring easy work. County jobs with seniority.

I have always been under the gun and had to be very productive as well as had to fix others mistakes. So do I have disdain when others have it easy, of course I do. Would it be great to be able to draw a fine paycheck and get to coast thru work? I don't know it has never happened to me. I am too busy trying to make bad systems work well to coast. Time and again I wind up having to be the responsible one while others have their feet up on the desk reading newspapers. (Nepotism!)

Rich families, please read "The Good Earth" before you install your children at work.

panamag8or

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
2. "We just have whoever's handy write the copy. We think it's the visual element that's really more important."

Hmm... maybe that is why local TV spots are so bad.lol

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
J in C, yes, I think everybody ought to pull their weight. I just question how many pointless dead-end jobs must a man hold down before you call him a man. Maybe instead of The Good Earth, the privileged ought to read Charles Bukowski.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Senator Jack said:
Something I've always wanted to do:

1. Go to an interview for a job I really didn't want.
2. Be spectacular at the interview.
3. Nab the job.
4. Go to my first day of work dressed in a full admiral's uniform complete with medals and a bicorne hat just to see how they would go about firing me.

Capital idea Jack! I like it! But how about adding an extra dimension to the whole scenario by getting completely drunk first?! lol

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Capital idea Jack! I like it! But how about adding an extra dimension to the whole scenario by getting completely drunk first?! lol

Which brings to mind "spud's" interview scene from trainspotting.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I despise interviews.

Les Gillis said:
I hate the job interviews that they act like they love you and your resume and say things like "We will have a place for you", "when can you start" or "everything looks great" and then you never hear back from them.

Those are the worst! I'd much rather they just be honest with me up front.

When I was in my early 20s I interviewed for a job as an office assistant in a law office. I was dressed very professionally - skirt, heels etc. As soon as I walked into the office, the secretary (wearing one of those horrid 1980s two-piece sets consisting of a t-shirt and matching pants with some appliqued sequined design) gave me the once-over, then scribbled something on a post-it note and slapped it to my resume before handing it off to her boss. This all transpired within less than a minute of me entering said office. A little while later as I was talking to the boss/interviewer, I happened to catch a glance of the note she had written - "Has the personality of a rock." How she deduced that within 15 seconds of seeing me - without even speaking to me - I'll never know... but I'm fairly certain it had something to with my appearance. I was so irate I just got up and walked out.

Senator Jack said:
Something I've always wanted to do:

1. Go to an interview for a job I really didn't want.
2. Be spectacular at the interview.
3. Nab the job.
4. Go to my first day of work dressed in a full admiral's uniform complete with medals and a bicorne hat just to see how they would go about firing me.

Spectacular! :eusa_clap

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
I called the company where I interviewed twice this week to check in, per their instructions, and neither time got a call back. Instead, I got a short email telling me to call again next week. Jump little doggie, jump!

They've saved you all the heartburn of going to work there, finding it miserable, and looking for another job.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
Would it be great to be able to draw a fine paycheck and get to coast thru work? I don't know it has never happened to me.

It's happened to me, and I was absolutely miserable. I was a control systems engineer at Raytheon and I've never been more bored in my life. I'd rather dig ditches.

Ms. Parriss

New in Town
Les Gillis said:
I hate the job interviews that they act like they love you and your resume and say things like "We will have a place for you", "when can you start" or "everything looks great" and then you never hear back from them. Instead of the bush off I'm much rather hear "You're goofy, you're hair style is out of date and your mother dresses you funny, thanks for stopping by..."
hear hear!:eusa_clap
I too am looking for job and I wish they paid you to go on interviews cause then I'd be making some money. Constantly being told "you'll fit in just nicely" but then never do I hear from them again. Then there are the dumb interview questions, "What would your friends say about you?" or "Tell us about yourself in five words." I don't know, I've never given it much thought until now. That's what I want to say, but that won't get me the job now, will it?:mad:

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Ask and ye shall receive

Was contacted by my school's career advisor about a couple of part-time positions a tech recruiting company was trying to fill. I contacted the recruiter and was scheduled for an interview Thursday morning. I was feeling very stressed/nervous about it. Before going in to the actual interview (which was being conducted by a guy from the company looking, not the recruiting company) a recruiter talked with me for a few minutes to prep me, starting with "I'm sure you've been through this a number of times..."

The look on her face when I told her it was my first was priceless, but she recovered nicely.

Anyway, one I was introduced to the interviewer and we started talking it went fairly well. It wasn't a long affair, maybe about 1/2 an hour. A fairly low-threat intro to the interview process. The job won't pay much, but will give me something I need more-a chance to use the tech skills I've been learning since June to go with my management skills. And if I don't get it, well, it's already given me something I needed in the opportunity to get over the hurdle of my first interview. :)

Cheers,
Tom

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
I've realised, I like job interviews. I just loathe application forms and all that stuff. At least they can't outright ignore you in an interview (well.. it's slightly less likely), and in an interview I can charm them better than on a CV/form. Heehee.

On that note, I got a job again! Within 5 minutes of meeting me they decided to employ me. :D

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
TheKitschGoth said:
I've realised, I like job interviews. I just loathe application forms and all that stuff. At least they can't outright ignore you in an interview (well.. it's slightly less likely), and in an interview I can charm them better than on a CV/form. Heehee.

On that note, I got a job again! Within 5 minutes of meeting me they decided to employ me. :D

Congrats!

Are you by chance a sales or customer service type person? I find interviews not so bad because I can treat it like a normal sales call. In this case the "over-priced product with some hidden drawbacks" I'm trying to sell is me, but the mechanics are the same.

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
carebear said:
Congrats!

Are you by chance a sales or customer service type person? I find interviews not so bad because I can treat it like a normal sales call. In this case the "over-priced product with some hidden drawbacks" I'm trying to sell is me, but the mechanics are the same.

I think the love of Drama might have more to do with it :) But yeah, I've done sales oriented jobs.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran