1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Things that make you smile

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by BlueTrain, Aug 21, 2016.

1. 2jakes

2jakes I'll Lock Up

B4238F4B-F896-471A-8C64-6662FFA679BE.jpeg

2. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

The wife of a couple who are friends of ours called us late Thursday night to see if we could watch their dog Friday (we've never done that for them) as she needed to have, all but, emergency surgery Friday morning for a post-op infection that isn't healing. So, yesterday, they dropped him off at 5am with us on their way to the 5:30am hospital appointment.

The really good news is that the infection wasn't as deep or bad as feared and they sent her home yesterday (after she came out of recovery). That really made us smile (had it been deeper, it would have not been good). But this also had us smiling - their English Springer Spaniel, Nicky, sitting next to me as I worked, watching the perimeter for us (pic 1) and, then, giving the all-is-okay sign and taking a snooze (pic 2).

For a dog not familiar with the city, he did really well.

IMG_5568.JPG IMG_5569.JPG

3. 2jakes

2jakes I'll Lock Up

I hope your friend has a speedy recovery!

4. Woodtroll

Woodtroll Practically Family

Good friends and good dogs are both important. I hope your friend has a fast and complete recovery!

5. 2jakes

2jakes I'll Lock Up

Best dryer in the world!
    88DEC9A3-84A9-45F7-8C12-AD847F1295DD.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Zombie_61, Tukwila and BobHufford like this.
  6. Dm101

Dm101 A-List Customer

At the church that our daycare is hosted in, there is an older gentleman who volunteers and has been there for years before we opened our daycare. My wife spoke to him yesterday while walking through the church because he seemed so down and out.

She asked him if anything was wrong and he apologized to her for looking so down. He told her that he's just a bit lonely and that he never had any children and his wife died recently. He said that on slow days when the church doesn't have that much going on and it's quiet and empty, it magnifies the loneliness.Told her he's in his 80's and he's scared that his time is coming soon too...and that he misses his wife...his best friend.

She sat with him for a few minutes and talked with him and got him to laugh when another worker came through the sanctuary and they joked together. When she told me about him and his situation we immediately wanted to bless him and try to lift his spirits. We thought about what kind of gift we could give him and when we could pick it up with our ultra busy schedules. Earliest time would be saturday...
    My wife immediately said "What!? that won't work...he's in his 80's...he could be gone tomorrow!".
    I laughed and realized that she was right. So I thought...what do I have at the house that an 80 year old man would use and actually understand.
    Hand tools were out...Computer components were out...weapons were out...

AH HA!!! I know what he can use....

The one thing that I possessed that is from his era...the only vintage 1950s hat I ever won on ebay!!

So I got it out...got out the Ronsonol, Ethyl Alcohol and a white terrycloth and got to cleaning.
    The hat was originally gray, but had been stained slightly pink through the years somehow...I don't have a clue, previous owners did it.
    The chemical salvo knocked out all the shading in the hat and brought it back to it's bright gray.
    I left it out overnight with a fan on it to knock out the chemical smell and this morning, it was beautiful! I didn't have time to take pics, but I boxed it up all pretty like and put a nice note inside.

The wife will deliver it today...I hope to hear good news when I swing by the daycare to check on things at lunch. ;):D

7. Dm101

Dm101 A-List Customer

Love the term "Dept of Defense", but I would much rather be able to say "I work for the WAR DEPARTMENT!!" when I'm out and about.
    :p:D:p:D:p:D:cool:

vitanola and Tukwila like this.
  8. Hercule

Hercule Practically Family

That's so sweet! Please keep us updated.

Touchofevil, Zombie_61 and Dm101 like this.
  9. Dm101

Dm101 A-List Customer

That's beautiful.
    Over in Kuwait, one of the symbols of wealth and kindness is having a drinking fountain out in front of your house. The bigger the fountain, the richer the owner, the more people given water in the hot hot HOT desert.

By Kuwait standards, your neighbor is a wealthy and kind man.
    :D

Zombie_61 likes this.
  10. Dm101

Dm101 A-List Customer

Woooow.....I had no idea that was the reason behind this photo!
    [​IMG]

11. 2jakes

2jakes I'll Lock Up

Best news today! :)

The doc said that I getting better and I get to go home soon.

12. That's great news 2jakes!

13. Touchofevil

Touchofevil

Garlic! Fresh garlic whether it be garlic toast, garlic fries, garlic country potatoes, garlic dip...

Zombie_61, 2jakes and BobHufford like this.
  14. Touchofevil

Touchofevil

Second night stew during cold winter days.

Zombie_61, 2jakes and BobHufford like this.
  15. 2jakes

2jakes I'll Lock Up

Second night Thanksgiving turkey sandwich

·Shrimp Paesano at Paesano's.
    Blend of lemon juice, garlic and a copious amount of butter with plump sauteed shrimp,
    pasta, garlic bread and white wine.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    vitanola, BobHufford and Zombie_61 like this.
  16. 2jakes

2jakes I'll Lock Up

"I wuv you"---////"I wuv you too!"
    B82F8C20-7E50-49D7-B597-739562E5F78D.jpeg

vitanola and Zombie_61 like this.
  17. My parents’ love for each other.

Dad’s Alzheimer’s has progressed to the point that they moved out of their home into assisted living today. Tough...but they have each other and all the family to lean on.

98F8F2EA-4B49-4877-943A-13678E803E39.jpeg

18. 2jakes

2jakes I'll Lock Up

At rehab, my wife slept on the floor.
    As much as I wanted her with me,
    I could not sleep with her like that.
    I told her to go home, rest and have
    a good night's sleep.
    I told her that the love we have for each
    other is great that I don't feel alone especially in the night.
    I also text on Fedora Lounge until I get
    sleepy. :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  19. Are you married 2Jakes?..and have you really been in rehab? I did not know. I do wish you the best.
    HD

vitanola, Zombie_61 and Tukwila like this.