Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things that make you smile

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
B4238F4B-F896-471A-8C64-6662FFA679BE.jpeg

The wife of a couple who are friends of ours called us late Thursday night to see if we could watch their dog Friday (we've never done that for them) as she needed to have, all but, emergency surgery Friday morning for a post-op infection that isn't healing. So, yesterday, they dropped him off at 5am with us on their way to the 5:30am hospital appointment.

The really good news is that the infection wasn't as deep or bad as feared and they sent her home yesterday (after she came out of recovery). That really made us smile (had it been deeper, it would have not been good). But this also had us smiling - their English Springer Spaniel, Nicky, sitting next to me as I worked, watching the perimeter for us (pic 1) and, then, giving the all-is-okay sign and taking a snooze (pic 2).

For a dog not familiar with the city, he did really well.

IMG_5568.JPG IMG_5569.JPG

Woodtroll

One Too Many
The wife of a couple who are friends of ours called us late Thursday night to see if we could watch their dog Friday (we've never done that for them) as she needed to have, all but, emergency surgery Friday morning for a post-op infection that isn't healing. So, yesterday, they dropped him off at 5am with us on their way to the 5:30am hospital appointment.

The really good news is that the infection wasn't as deep or bad as feared and they sent her home yesterday (after she came out of recovery). That really made us smile (had it been deeper, it would have not been good). But this also had us smiling - their English Springer Spaniel, Nicky, sitting next to me as I worked, watching the perimeter for us (pic 1) and, then, giving the all-is-okay sign and taking a snooze (pic 2).

For a dog not familiar with the city, he did really well.

View attachment 151862 View attachment 151863

Good friends and good dogs are both important. I hope your friend has a fast and complete recovery!

Dm101

A-List Customer
At the church that our daycare is hosted in, there is an older gentleman who volunteers and has been there for years before we opened our daycare. My wife spoke to him yesterday while walking through the church because he seemed so down and out.

She asked him if anything was wrong and he apologized to her for looking so down. He told her that he's just a bit lonely and that he never had any children and his wife died recently. He said that on slow days when the church doesn't have that much going on and it's quiet and empty, it magnifies the loneliness.Told her he's in his 80's and he's scared that his time is coming soon too...and that he misses his wife...his best friend.

She sat with him for a few minutes and talked with him and got him to laugh when another worker came through the sanctuary and they joked together. When she told me about him and his situation we immediately wanted to bless him and try to lift his spirits. We thought about what kind of gift we could give him and when we could pick it up with our ultra busy schedules. Earliest time would be saturday...
My wife immediately said "What!? that won't work...he's in his 80's...he could be gone tomorrow!".
I laughed and realized that she was right. So I thought...what do I have at the house that an 80 year old man would use and actually understand.
Hand tools were out...Computer components were out...weapons were out...

AH HA!!! I know what he can use....

The one thing that I possessed that is from his era...the only vintage 1950s hat I ever won on ebay!!

So I got it out...got out the Ronsonol, Ethyl Alcohol and a white terrycloth and got to cleaning.
The hat was originally gray, but had been stained slightly pink through the years somehow...I don't have a clue, previous owners did it.
The chemical salvo knocked out all the shading in the hat and brought it back to it's bright gray.
I left it out overnight with a fan on it to knock out the chemical smell and this morning, it was beautiful! I didn't have time to take pics, but I boxed it up all pretty like and put a nice note inside.

The wife will deliver it today...I hope to hear good news when I swing by the daycare to check on things at lunch. ;):D

Dm101

A-List Customer
We no longer have a War Department. What we have instead is the kinder, gentler Department of Defense. So remember that when you're obliterated by a drone strike, we're doing it defensively, and with sincere regret.

Love the term "Dept of Defense", but I would much rather be able to say "I work for the WAR DEPARTMENT!!" when I'm out and about.
:p:D:p:D:p:D:cool:

Hercule

Practically Family
At the church that our daycare is hosted in, there is an older gentleman who volunteers and has been there for years before we opened our daycare. My wife spoke to him yesterday while walking through the church because he seemed so down and out.

The wife will deliver it today...I hope to hear good news when I swing by the daycare to check on things at lunch. ;):D

That's so sweet! Please keep us updated.

Dm101

A-List Customer
My neighborhood.
View attachment 131859
Been riding my bicycle on Sunday mornings for years.
View attachment 131860
This neighbor has a water drinking spigot in front of his yard for whoever needs a drink. It's been there for years and I thought it was worth mentioning here.:)

That's beautiful.
Over in Kuwait, one of the symbols of wealth and kindness is having a drinking fountain out in front of your house. The bigger the fountain, the richer the owner, the more people given water in the hot hot HOT desert.

By Kuwait standards, your neighbor is a wealthy and kind man.
:D

Dm101

A-List Customer
Because of a bad gum infection in 1933, Clark Gable had to have most of his teeth removed and replaced by dentures, which caused him to suffer from halitosis. During the filming of Gone with the Wind, Vivien Leigh complained about how foul the stench was... but they got along really well other than that.
So the myth that Gable's preference for "doggy style" wasn't a myth at all. Halitosis is a right passion killer.

Woooow.....I had no idea that was the reason behind this photo!
gone_with_the_wind.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
At rehab, my wife slept on the floor.
As much as I wanted her with me,
I could not sleep with her like that.
I told her to go home, rest and have
a good night's sleep.
I told her that the love we have for each
other is great that I don't feel alone especially in the night.
I also text on Fedora Lounge until I get
sleepy. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112