Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thinking about a tattoo, but is it what good girls did in the 1940's?

Dani California

Familiar Face
Miss Neecerie said:
Maybe she is the instrument.

Good point:) I was just wondering since I always liked that picture and thought about getting that as well. I play the upright bass and always thought it would be cool to have the f-holes for a tattoo. But, it would throw off what i already have on my back.

Finnatic

New in Town
Grandma had Tattoos in the 1930's

I happen to fall upon this webite while attempting reasearch on tattoos on women in the mid 1930's. My grandmother had two tattoos....one on each of her shoulder regions. A beautiful butterfly with a 2" wing span on one arm and the other arm had a banner with my grandfather's first name. According to my mother who was born in 1935....she remembers grandma having these when she was a very young girl. I guess I'm asking if anyone has ever heard of this before.....I have not been able to find out if it was a fad or if there were other reasons a woman would have a tattoo during this period......I do know one thing.....She was not a "bad girl"......and she did also have pierced ears. My mother's ears were also pierced as a very young girl....so were mine and my 5 sisters. If anyone has any insight into this family mystery....(my Mother is no help)....it would be appreciated.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
*merged threads*

This thread has a wealth of info about proper women with tattoos in the Golden Era. :)

**shakes head** I knew I saw double!
LD

GWD

One Too Many
Miss Dottie said:
Hmmm... I'm actually considering getting another tattoo in a month. But I've been thinking about this tattoo for a few years and still think its a wonderful beautiful tattoo.

I want this:
man_ray_le_violon_dingres-thumb.jpg

But I'm a tad nervous that I'm too curvy for it to look the way I think it should look. I think it is just wonderful and says so much about the beauty of a woman's body.

Any thoughts?

That's a great tat! I'm new here so I won't make the "F" Hole joke.;)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thats not a tat, thats an altered photograph taken by artist Surrealist Man Ray called Ingres' Violin.

Still, it would be a great tattoo :)

**edit**
You prolly meant that WOuld be a great tat. My bad.

LD

GWD

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
Thats not a tat, thats an altered photograph taken by artist Surrealist Man Ray called Ingres' Violin.

Still, it would be a great tattoo :)

**edit**
You prolly meant that WOuld be a great tat. My bad.

LD

I was commenting on the other comments, yes that WOULD be a great tat, I still won't make the "F" Hole joke though.

Finnatic

New in Town
Tattoos in the 1930's

I fell upon this site while attempting reasearch on tattoos on women in the mid 1930's. My grandmother had two tattoos....one on each of her shoulder regions. A beautiful butterfly in blue ink with a 2" wing span on one arm and the other arm had a banner with my Grandfather's first name. According to my mother who was born in 1935....she remembers grandma having these when she was a very young girl. Has anyone heard of this before? I have not been able to find out if it was a "fad" or if there were other reasons why she would have the tatts.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
I had the same dilemma when I had the second and third holes of my ear pierced. I seem to be very much a purist at heart, and sometimes the look of three holes in each ear is not very vintage!

But, at least they can be taken out (Once the holes heal), unlike a tattoo, which is not at easy as taking an earring out.

I'd never get a tattoo personally, I just dont really like them that much - and my vanity always makes me wonder what happens when you get older, and the skin starts to sag a little bit - do the tattoos look worse?

Naama

Practically Family
RitaHayworth said:
I'd never get a tattoo personally, I just dont really like them that much - and my vanity always makes me wonder what happens when you get older, and the skin starts to sag a little bit - do the tattoos look worse?

Then you're old anyway..... I think it doesn't matter if you have some ink under youre skin, it won't look that good wrinkeld as it does not wrinkeld....

Naama

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
RitaHayworth said:
I had the same dilemma when I had the second and third holes of my ear pierced. I seem to be very much a purist at heart, and sometimes the look of three holes in each ear is not very vintage!

But, at least they can be taken out (Once the holes heal), unlike a tattoo, which is not at easy as taking an earring out.

If a wrinkled tattoo is my worst problem when i'm 80, I'll be happy :)

The Dame

One of the Regulars
:eek:fftopic: For the record, GWD, you probably should have avoided making a reference to any "F" hole joke in the first place. :mad: That you did it twice smacks of an extreme lack of taste, IMHO. :rage:

Back on topic: I have three tattoos so far. Two out of three I do not regret. I don't regret the motif/meaning of the third - it is a Celtic design representing life, death and rebirth - but what I do regret is its location. (It's not only in real estate that location is key!) My mistake was getting tattooed in response to being dumped - I wanted to change my body, to reclaim it for myself and from my previous *ahem* lover, as it were, and instead of doing the usual girl thing and making a radical change to my hair, I got tattooed. I put the tattoo on the fleshy area just under my collar bone on the right side - which effectively spoiled the look of any strapless, off-the-shoulder or spaghetti strap dress, particularly if it was an especially dressy occasion such as a wedding. At the time, I was unconcerned about anyone seeing it if I wore a dress that exposed my shoulders and collarbones. But I was 23 at the time. I am now older, and wiser, and wish I hadn't put it there. I want to have it removed but that is a huge expense in terms of time and money, neither of which I can spare at the moment. As to the question of removability, it is my understanding that all black-work tats are easier to remove than the more colorful ones (I have this from a plastic surgeon I consulted about removing said tattoo with a laser). I do wonder how I will feel about my tattoos when I'm in my 80s. But at the same time, I'd like to get the undersides of my wrists tattooed, too. I'm waiting to do that, though, to see if the ideal still appeals in a year or so. Plus it's kind of a reward to myself for finishing writing a novel I started work on about 18 mos. ago.

pin_up_pixie

New in Town
About tattoo removal. I have 4, and one got ruined when I was pregnant, so I was thinking of having it removed, but the expense, and the pain was just too much. Then I found this http://www.wreckingbalm.com/. If you have something you want removed, I'd try it. I haven't used it yet, but I have a friend who has and she says that so far its working pretty well.

Figured it might help some of you.

Julie

The Dame

One of the Regulars

I found this promo pic of LA Ink (on TLC). Kat Von D is the owner/star of the tattoo parlor cum TV show about tattooing. She and her fellow artists did a pretty good job dressing up in 1940s-style stuff - and the tattoos don't mar the effect at all, IMO. What do you think, Miss 1940's? (Providing, of course, that I manage to successfully upload the darn thing ...)

alexandra

Practically Family
I wouldn't get a tattoo because acting is what I do and I already have enough limits on me for being a fat chick, I don't need to have to find roles for "fat chicks with tattoos". What a nightmare!

Plus I like to be able to be a chameleon. That's also why I started keeping my hair brown.

pin_up_pixie said:
About tattoo removal. I have 4, and one got ruined when I was pregnant, so I was thinking of having it removed, but the expense, and the pain was just too much. Then I found this http://www.wreckingbalm.com/. If you have something you want removed, I'd try it. I haven't used it yet, but I have a friend who has and she says that so far its working pretty well.

Figured it might help some of you.

Julie

It can't be real can it???

Edit; haha! Apparently not! It doesn't have very many good reviews.

dani

Familiar Face
think about it a lot before you get one, i have 3 of them, the first 2 i got i got in places that are easy to show off, and cover up, the top of my foot, and between my shoulders. the last one i got i had done on the side of my neck, not easily covered, the guy that done it, messed up, the in did stay, and it looks awful. can't afford to get it removed, so i will just have to get it covered up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21