Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thinking about a tattoo, but is it what good girls did in the 1940's?

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
When I go get my tattoo on Tuesday I'm making an appointment for yet another one:

katy_postcard.jpg

I like this design so much I actually don't want to change anything about it. I've always loved Katy Keene, but could never find a good, tattoo-able picture of her. This modern rendition will have to do.

Lenore

Practically Family
That's so cute!

I've been a little obsessive about this topic since revisiting it. I've got a wishlist a mile long now.

1. My stars - Orion Constellation as seen previously.
2. A phoenix back piece
3. A compass
4. An ouroboros

The trouble is finding places for all these things that will be completely hidden by clothing if need be. :shrug:

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
This is the picture I sent my artist. Because my skin is so pale, colors show up really bright on me. I have to have the red and blue! The only problem is that she's in the process of setting up her own shop and won't be ready for new appointments until next month. I've been waiting all summer.
6136410406_1096d7983a_o.jpg

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I'm getting so excited about my new ink!! Hurry up TWO DAYS! lol

I have more planned, too. I haven't had a tattoo in about 2 years so this will rock.

Edward

Bartender
This is the picture I sent my artist. Because my skin is so pale, colors show up really bright on me. I have to have the red and blue! The only problem is that she's in the process of setting up her own shop and won't be ready for new appointments until next month. I've been waiting all summer.
6136410406_1096d7983a_o.jpg

I don't have any tats yet myself, but I have been advised that the cooler weather can be a better time to have them done than the height of Summer. Something to do with being less likely to sweat and therefore itch while it heals.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I don't have any tats yet myself, but I have been advised that the cooler weather can be a better time to have them done than the height of Summer. Something to do with being less likely to sweat and therefore itch while it heals.

Not necessarily. It's harder to have your tat breathe or let Vitamin E gel soak in properly when you have to wear heavy clothing over them. Showers and baths are hotter in cold weather, which is also not good for healing. The best time is definitely spring - Not as much clothing or harsh sunlight, and little chance of sweating.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
The best time for me to get a tat (in my opinion)?

Why, when I get the money, of course lol ;)

But my artist gives me and my husband "mates rates" which is awesome of him. He doesn't get to do very many tattoos like ours and he LOVES getting the chance to do them. He works in a small town in NJ where most people want dolphins and Tinkerbell and their kids' names. He's a misplaced rockabilly dude. When we make appointments you should see him beam. lol

And, yes, I drive 1.5 hours to get a tattoo in my hometown because his work is wonk-free and crap-free.

Last edited:

Lenore

Practically Family
In doing my research, I've come across a shop that may be #1 on my list of places and it's on the other side of Houston, a good hour or so drive. I would drive longer to find someone who I trusted their work and knew they weren't going to screw up my vision.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
In doing my research, I've come across a shop that may be #1 on my list of places and it's on the other side of Houston, a good hour or so drive. I would drive longer to find someone who I trusted their work and knew they weren't going to screw up my vision.

I have a great place in my neighbourhood, but if they did move a good long drive away, I would do it. If I'm going to have this tattoo for the rest of my life, it had better be perfect!

KittyAnneMalloo

Familiar Face
I am working with my tattooist at the moment to do a portrait of my grandfather who was an aircraft mechanic in the war. He is working up a design that incorprates my grandad in his dress uniform and the lockheed ventura's the planes he worked on It will be on my right forearm. I shall post a pic when its done.

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
Different tattooers recommend different ways of healing. Some say to avoid aloe vera and lotions with vitamin E. Some say no Vaseline AT ALL. I have nine tattoos, some of which are pretty large and mostly on my arms. I've used a touch of welfare brand Vaseline to heal most of them. This works great.
The key is to NEVER cake the stuff on.
Your skin NEEDS to breathe.
If your tattooer tries to pawn off the latest healing goo for your tattoo. Take a pass. It's a waste of money. That stuff is typically really perfumey too which will irritate your skin more than it already is. Not sure why this caught on.
I usually don't even switch to lotion after the first few days of fresh ink, which some will tell you to do.
The Petroleum jelly will do a better job of keeping the area lubed than a lotion which isn't as thick and dries out.
If you use the Jelly proper you shouldn't have to worry about it getting on your clothes cause you used a small enough amount.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Stardust, that looks fantastic! I love the colouring!

Different tattooers recommend different ways of healing. Some say to avoid aloe vera and lotions with vitamin E. Some say no Vaseline AT ALL. I have nine tattoos, some of which are pretty large and mostly on my arms. I've used a touch of welfare brand Vaseline to heal most of them. This works great.
The key is to NEVER cake the stuff on.
Your skin NEEDS to breathe.
If your tattooer tries to pawn off the latest healing goo for your tattoo. Take a pass. It's a waste of money. That stuff is typically really perfumey too which will irritate your skin more than it already is. Not sure why this caught on.
I usually don't even switch to lotion after the first few days of fresh ink, which some will tell you to do.
The Petroleum jelly will do a better job of keeping the area lubed than a lotion which isn't as thick and dries out.
If you use the Jelly proper you shouldn't have to worry about it getting on your clothes cause you used a small enough amount.

Yeah, I had my first tattoo done when I was 17 at a "reputable" place, and they sold me Tattoo Goo (they also overcharged me for a crooked tattoo.) It wasn't until I went to my now favourite place for my second that they told me the Goo is a cash grab, and may even be bad for healing. They recommended Vitamin E, but said petroleum jelly would do in a pinch. All the rest of mine healed well with Vitamin E, and I didn't switch to lotion until the 5th day, but I did find even a thin layer of the stuff sticky. The cupcake on my ankle stuck to my leggings in winter (though those are very tight), and I didn't have the problem with Betty Boop on the other ankle in spring - I just wore skirts. It didn't heal as well because it kept drying out in windy spells, though.

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
When I used lotion it dried out right away. Then my tattoo felt tight and would burn constantly then later the intense itching. P J never did that.

When I got this tiger a few years ago, it left a color imprint on my bed sheet which never came out of the sheet. The ink will do more damage than the Jelly.
003-2.jpg

There's too many people out there in black t-shirts messin people up and have no respect or knowledge of tattooing.
My guy never does apprenticeships cause of this.

TheSwingingBee

One of the Regulars
I've always been told A & D ointment which is a diaper rash ointment and all of my tats have healed great, so have the hubby's, and his are larger than mine. I find it doesn't dry out and it really doesn't tend to get sticky.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Wow -- Tattoo Goo is the ONLY thing that doesn't make me break out. It's the only stuff I use. It's not a scam -- depends on your skin. My tats have healed PERFECTLY with it, with no irritation to my skin. What doesn't work for you may work for someone else depending on skin type.

A&D ointment, Aquaphor, petroleum jelly -- I stay away from. They have given me acne and rashes in the past. Even just a tiny bit.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy