Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Thirty Things that Need to Stage a Comeback"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
As I've said before, I've never had a complaint with the USPS. Being able to mail a letter coast to coast and have it arrive in three days for less than half a dollar is the best deal going -- try to get that same level of service at the same price from any private carrier.

These days most shipment of films to theatres has been taken over by UPS, and god help you if you aren't in the office when they show up. There's one deliveryman I've come to an understanding with who'll leave the film at the bakery next door if I'm not around, but it's "against regulations" to do this, and if it's anyone but him they won't do it. If they can't catch you, they'll hold it at the depot -- which is only open from 4 to 6 in the afternoon -- or they'll send it back altogether if they really want to be jerks about it. It's a constant battle with them, and the last thing I want is to do is have to depend on them for every kind of delivery.

If we bring anything back, it should be the pre-1971 U. S. Post Office Department.

I have the opposite experience. Perhaps service out here is different than over there. If USPS can break it, lose it or send it to the wrong place then they have done it to me. They are working on my last nerve.:eusa_doh::mad:

That was the old answer to what to do with nuclear waste! Send it via the post office a few times and they'll lose it.
And when they lose it, the loss is permanent.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I have the opposite experience. Perhaps service out here is different than over there. If USPS can break it, lose it or send it to the wrong place then they have done it to me. They are working on my last nerve.:eusa_doh::mad:

Been there myself a few times. Sadly, seems a normal letter normally gets along just "ducky", but when it comes to packages, it gets to be a "hit and miss" affair.

No to sound too awfully revengeful, but I have often wanted to have someone send something really smelly nasty like "Pooh" in a package with hopes some greedy Mail Man would desire to "sneek" it home and open it for a big surprise! WHEW! lol!

vitanola

I'll Lock Up

For a period of about nine years I was selling quite a bit on eBay, radios, phonographs, records and art glass, generally making between forty and fifty shipments a week. In those days I used USPS, UPS, Fed-EX, DHL and any number of air freight forwarders. Although I would ship to meet my customer's preferences, I found that I had more problems with items shipped via UPS and Fed-X than with the Postal Service. More misdeliveries with UPS espeically. I hever had the Postal Service leave a package behind a neighbor's bush, for example. I always packed very well, but of course the occasaional damaged item was to be expected. never had any problem with the USPS insurance claims. UPS and Fed-X were different matters entirely. They never seem to want to pay up, even for obvious shipping damage (a wooden crate with a hole running through both it and its contents). Note that record collectors, who ship betwene one another quantities of fragile 78's generally tend to prefer USPS, as do I. I've never yet ahd a properly packed record broken by the Postal Service. Cannot say the same for UPS.

Been there myself a few times. Sadly, seems a normal letter normally gets along just "ducky", but when it comes to packages, it gets to be a "hit and miss" affair.

No to sound too awfully revengeful, but I have often wanted to have someone send something really smelly nasty like "Pooh" in a package with hopes some greedy Mail Man would desire to "sneek" it home and open it for a big surprise! WHEW! lol!

Letters usually get to me fine too but I once even had a magazine plastic cover delivered to me without the magazine in it! The thieving postal workers stole my Cigar Aficionado magazine! Some of my other magazines have also gone missing over the years. The nerve it takes to deliver and empty plastic cover without the magazine....:mad::rolleyes:

St. Louis

Practically Family
I miss the smell of burning leaves in autumn. It's against the law in St. Louis.

I also miss the days when grown men didn't feel the need (or the sense of entitlement) to make off-color remarks around their female coworkers. I believe at one time gentlemen refrained from making suggestive remarks to respectable women. (When did that go out of style, anyway?)

For a period of about nine years I was selling quite a bit on eBay, radios, phonographs, records and art glass, generally making between forty and fifty shipments a week. In those days I used USPS, UPS, Fed-EX, DHL and any number of air freight forwarders. Although I would ship to meet my customer's preferences, I found that I had more problems with items shipped via UPS and Fed-X than with the Postal Service. More misdeliveries with UPS espeically. I hever had the Postal Service leave a package behind a neighbor's bush, for example. I always packed very well, but of course the occasaional damaged item was to be expected. never had any problem with the USPS insurance claims. UPS and Fed-X were different matters entirely. They never seem to want to pay up, even for obvious shipping damage (a wooden crate with a hole running through both it and its contents). Note that record collectors, who ship betwene one another quantities of fragile 78's generally tend to prefer USPS, as do I. I've never yet ahd a properly packed record broken by the Postal Service. Cannot say the same for UPS.

I wish I could say the same for some of the breweriana that I have collected over the years. Some lighted signs came in like a pile of sand after USPS got done with it. You start with a white box and get a brown box on the other side out here. lol lol

Feraud

Bartender
I also miss the days when grown men didn't feel the need (or the sense of entitlement) to make off-color remarks around their female coworkers. I believe at one time gentlemen refrained from making suggestive remarks to respectable women. (When did that go out of style, anyway?)
To expand on this point that I strongly agree with, I really miss when women didn't feel the need to be equally crass to try and prove how hip and empowered they are.

Nowadays if you ask someone to watch their language in the presence of women and children, the woman will pipe up with, "oh it's o.k.!" Is it really acceptable? How sad..

To expand on this point that I strongly agree with, I really miss when women didn't feel the need to be equally crass to try and prove how hip and empowered they are.

Nowadays if you ask someone to watch their language in the presence of women and children, the woman will pipe up with, "oh it's o.k.!" Is it really acceptable? How sad..

I have noticed that too. My response is usually: "Don't speak for me, thank you.":mad:

LizzieMaine

Bartender

Swearing, as such, doesn't bother me -- I grew up in a gas station. But stupid swearing of the F this and F that sort is distasteful to me not because I'm a woman, but because it's stupid. If you're going to swear, swear creatively. Impugn the legitimacy of your target. Cast aspersions on his parentage. Blaspheme, even. But if all you can say is F, F, F, just shut up already. You're wasting everybody's time.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
More often than not, I've had great service from the post office. Now, my current Fed Ex guy is working my last nerve.

Hi

I wear a lot of clothes from Cabelas, read a lot of books from Amazon, and buy a lot of stuff for my hobby over the net. UPS has been the best for YEARS until I moved into THIS apartment. They won't leave anything, they won't let me order it to be held at the UPS center, and sometimes I can't choose to pick it up after they've tried once. Fedex has a center about 3 miles from the apartment, and they'll let me have things sent there. USPS is their normal slower selves, delivering primarily junk mail (not THEIR fault) and occasionally a book or so. UPS is now a problem, USPS hasn't changed, but I'm starting to like Fedex.

Just my $0.02 and worth every penny.

St. Louis

Practically Family
I agree with all of the above. I'm originally from New Jersey, for what it's worth. But I was actually referring less to swearing and more to suggestive remarks in inappropriate settings, such as the work place. Point taken, regarding crass / loud women who want to prove they're as hip as their male nincompoop counterparts. Those folks probably deserve each other.

I just wish we could bring back the times when it wasn't considered a "free speech" entitlement, that's all. I know people have sworn a blue streak throughout history, but I do miss the days when they confined it to a time and place.

it has to do with the femenist movement. men felt that they were being told that women can do anything a man could and should be treated the same as men. You have to recall it was an in your face thing for a lot of guys. Fine you want to be treated like a man, you put up with what men do was the general feeling.

Men feel that women get away with so much BS, it's like this no matter what a woman says it's not fair or equal, it is not a two way street. Women can sue to be admitted to a men's club but men can't sue to be in a female only type situation. It doesn't happen. in general woman don't have a man's body strength so female applying ofr Fire Department duty don't have to pass the same physical abilities as their male conterparts. She can't carry her male conterpart out of a burning building 90% of the time. (Sure there are some very strong women but they still changes the lift capabilities. Woman have overies men have testicles it's the reason men can be king and women are queens B^lls.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
in general woman don't have a man's body strength so female applying ofr Fire Department duty don't have to pass the same physical abilities as their male conterparts. She can't carry her male conterpart out of a burning building 90% of the time. (Sure there are some very strong women but they still changes the lift capabilities. Woman have overies men have testicles it's the reason men can be king and women are queens B^lls.

And some male firefighter should sue for the above reason. Women are now often given the same physical responsibilities/chores as men, but the former don't have to score the same on physical tests as men, and that is pure discrimination (and stupidity). What an outcry there would be if the situation were reversed. As you noted, this partly stems from the so-called feminist movement, the false notion that women can do anything a man can do ("and better!"), which is just not the case. This is why placing women in combat units is insane, and reflective of people's desire to be viewed as "egalitarian." What is really ironic is that in the long run this all actually hurts women, as they are fooled into believing a false equality, one which they can never attain without government supports. It needs to be challenged by men (and women) and ended.

All women units for combat only. Synchronize the period and send them into combat when their raging hormones make 'em viscious.

No women could invent a weapon like the atomic bomb but they would invent a bomb that would make you FEEL really bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner