Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Thirty Things that Need to Stage a Comeback"

Link

One of the Regulars
How about being able to choose between 2 door and 4 door bodies on a single model of car?

I think I'd be in automotive heaven if the domestic manufacturers would offer a mid size car with a V8, manual transmission, rear wheel drive, 2 or 4 door, and no power accessories or talking rearview mirrors for under $20,000.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
MEH.

Re: Posture -- I guess she's never seen a 1920s or 1930s yearbook with all the slumpy teenagers in their often ill-fitting dresses. I guess if it's not in a Hollywood movie it's not "right."

Hobbies -- Yea, I was unaware that they went away, too.

Supper Clubs -- I'm certain that my people didn't go to these EVER and probably wouldn't have been allowed entry anyway.

Steveb1

Familiar Face
Smoking in Bars
Hat check girls (or boys)
A Hollywood that makes movies designed to inspires Americans to stand behind their country

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Smoking in Bars
Hat check girls (or boys)
A Hollywood that makes movies designed to inspires Americans to stand behind their country
Hi

I'm not in favor of bringing back Hat checkers. I understand that giving someone $0.50 or a $1 every time you ate out to watch a $10.00 hat was another reason that hat wearing went away. No, I don't have any documentation or experience being born too late. The last time I checked a coat was in StL at The Pageant, and it cost $5 a coat I think.

Later

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
I'd like to see:

Blue Laws come back...folks, if you didn't get that special someone a Christmas gift by 5:55pm on the Eve, maybe they just aren't that "special" and deserving of a gift. Same goes for Sundays...if it wasn't a priority to purchase Friday or Saturday, odds are good you won't die without it if you have to wait for Monday to roll around.

Lizzie...Amen to the lunch counter! If Woolworths or McCrory's were open, the pattimelts would be on me!

Perhaps a little modern and escapist, but I wish they'd bring back NBC's Mystery Movie (Columbo, McMillan and Wife, McCloud). It would give me something to look forward to besides all this reality stuff.

Local businesses that used to thrive in our town like the shoe repair place, the dry cleaner, the deli, the local movie theatre, the barber, even the TruValue store where you could buy anything from an anniversary card and a Josef Original figurine to a Putz house to penny nails or a ball cock replacement for the toilet...sigh...I can still hear the "ching" of the register and the feel of the wood floors under my feet.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Folks here might be inclined to vote for bringing back manners from the 50s, since that's what this site is about...

Where on earth do you get that idea?

We cover WWI-1960, with a great deal of Edwardian/Disco/Ex-Punker spillover.
We aren't all about the 1950's.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I'm not in favor of bringing back Hat checkers. I understand that giving someone $0.50 or a $1 every time you ate out to watch a $10.00 hat was another reason that hat wearing went away.

When hats cost ten dollars, most folks weren't leaving anything close to a dollar. More like a dime.

Many establishments in NYC have check rooms, at no charge. I don't mind throwing a bit someone a buck for that service.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The more I think about this topic the more I think what really needs to make a comeback can be boiled down into one thing: a culture that is not dominated by the tastes, beliefs, interests, and mindsets of hypergonadal fifteen-year-old boys.

rue

The more I think about this topic the more I think what really needs to make a comeback can be boiled down into one thing: a culture that is not dominated by the tastes, beliefs, interests, and mindsets of hypergonadal fifteen-year-old boys.

AMEN!

Oh and....
the use of military fatigues only when in the field

Amen to that too! I would love it if I could see my husband in his proper military clothing more then once (maybe twice) a year.

On her list..... Manners are so important! I especially wish saying 'please', 'thank you', 'you're welcome' and 'excuse me' would come back. I think my kids are the only ones in their groups that still say it. Every parent I meet tells me they wish that their kids were as polite as mine and I just look at them dumbfounded.

Had to add this too...

Let's bring back 3 channels, cartoons on Saturdays and the 'special'. Remember when something like the peanuts special would come on and it was a huge deal? We could barely take it as the word 'special' circled around before it started http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiUcVp6i1tM :)

Last edited:

CharlieB

A-List Customer
Most of them listed, particularly hats, fountain pens, double features, discreet voices (especially in libraries), supper clubs (very much so), and train restaurants. To those I would add radio drama, real hood ornaments, patriotism in the public schools, the use of military fatigues only when in the field, and telephone exchanges (CItrus 6-3536, etc.).

Why Stop at hood ornaments? How about cars with real chrome, not spray-painted plastic, but actual, metal bumpers and grills!

Steveb1

Familiar Face
When hats cost ten dollars, most folks weren't leaving anything close to a dollar. More like a dime.

Many establishments in NYC have check rooms, at no charge. I don't mind throwing a bit someone a buck for that service.

I would gladly pay for the privilege. I find it really annoying (I'm sure other hat wearers feel the same way) to go into an establishment and have nowhere to put my hat.

Foofoogal

Banned
More time. Seems everyone is having to work more for less with no down time.
Too much to do always it seems unless I flat go awol for a bit.

HelloJodi

New in Town
The "Coffee Break." No chugging coffee out of travel mugs or paper cups while hunched over your desk, working like a slave. Just 10 minutes to go be social and have a little cup of coffee in a real cup.
Though since I quit smoking cigarettes over 5 years ago, I think I'm continually looking for something to replace that ritual.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I will never own a car with an automatic transmission. I *hate* them. I've only ever owned standards, and when the day comes when I can't find one I'll walk.

Speaking of cars, I'll add "Keys That Don't Cost $250 To Replace" to the list. I have no use for any of that microchipped security stuff, and I don't intend to ever pay for it.

What they really ought to bring back is the Original Beetle. A stripped down car for people who prefer a stripped down life.

I would definitely buy a stripper (a car, not a performer <ahem>). The only thing cars 'need' computers for today is fuel management to meet CAFE standards for both fuel economy and emissions. Otherwise, why does my MINI need 27 computers and modules (for the windows and sunroof? WHAT?) that can go bad at a moments notice and cost a $zillion for the part, never mind the labor to get to it and replace it? There is no good answer to that question.

Two cars ago I had a '95 Saturn SL. Base model. Manny tranny, roll down windows, no power steering. And still, computers began to fail shortly after the loan was paid and the warranty was up. I'll take an original Beetle, please, and hold the dressing.

Last edited:

Undertow

Actual coffee cups. There should be coffee shops that actually serve coffee in ceramic mugs (or tazzine for espresso).

I don't know what kinds of places you have in your neck of the woods, but all three coffee shops I frequent have ceramic mugs.

Perhaps it's the difference between Chain vs. Locally Owned? [huh]

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I don't know what kinds of places you have in your neck of the woods, but all three coffee shops I frequent have ceramic mugs.

Perhaps it's the difference between Chain vs. Locally Owned? [huh]

Around here, even the local places are basically Starbucks, not that there are many of them.

Undertow

Around here, even the local places are basically Starbucks, not that there are many of them.

No kidding? That's really poor management in my opinion. Ceramic mugs require minimal upkeep and provide a lifetime of use. Plastic/foam cups fill up landfills. Quite unfortunate for you, sir.

Should you ever come to Des Moines, your first joe is on me (and it will be in ceramic)!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up

Once being a fifteen year old boy, I apologise.
Now that I'm not a fifteen year old boy...I agree.

There needs to be a serious culture-shift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner