Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Thirty Things that Need to Stage a Comeback"

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would definitely buy a stripper (a car, not a performer <ahem>). The only thing cars 'need' computers for today is fuel management to meet CAFE standards for both fuel economy and emissions. Otherwise, why does my MINI need 27 computers and modules (for the windows and sunroof? WHAT?) that can go bad at a moments notice and cost a $zillion for the part, never mind the labor to get to it and replace it? There is no good answer to that question.

To be perfectly honest, as I used to be a mechanic, just because it is called a "computer" does not make it such. Do you have power mirrors? They are nothing more than a switch or two & some motors. But it is still called a computer. It is just the terminoligy. Even the most stripped down AM/FM raido is considered a computer.

Bruce Wayne

Why Stop at hood ornaments? How about cars with real chrome, not spray-painted plastic, but actual, metal bumpers and grills!

Actually, it it real chrome on the plastic. It is jsut the way it is applied. If auto manufacturers went so far as to go back to putting chrome on potmetal parts, your fuel economy would go down the tubes. Plus, chromed plastic is easier & more economical for you & the shop to replace if it gets ruined in an accident.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
No kidding? That's really poor management in my opinion. Ceramic mugs require minimal upkeep and provide a lifetime of use. Plastic/foam cups fill up landfills. Quite unfortunate for you, sir.

OT: I've never understood why paper plates are supposed to be sooo much easier than real plates. How is it easier to go to the store, buy paper plates (or paper cups or napkins or plastic utensils), use them once, throw them away, and haul the trash to the alley, than it is to get out the real stuff and put it in the dishwasher when you're done?

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Heh--Number 15, manual cameras she mentions a Pentax K-1000. I still have mine, and it still takes great photos! Not so great for the instant gratification of today and little children don't understand why, after you take their photograph, it's not displayed on the back for them to see immediately. True black and white film with true black and white processing isn't something that's available must places, though.

How about a separation of work and leisure time? When working long hours, being available to your boss 24/7, taking your work with you on weekend trips and vacations wasn't expected, much less demanded.

Widebrim, Amen to only wearing fatigues (or BDUs, or whatever the current acronym is) when in the field or working in a job where it's an appropriate uniform. Sometime during Desert Shield the USAF seems to have decided that Hey! We're warfighters! We should wear go-to-war uniforms as the uniform of the day no matter where we are stationed or what our actual job is! So it didn't matter if you were sitting in a computer room or finance office in a base stateside, the uniform of the day was BDUs. Most places it was assumed you were either meeting a board or in trouble if you were seen in blues. I really disliked that.

Cheers,
Tom

Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
It would be nice to see many of these things make a widespread return, especially manners and hats, of course latter being not the most important thing, but I am too pessimistic to believe so. I don't have much hope for my own generation; which is, and will continue to degenerate itself, for the most part... I'm sure there will always be holdouts that contrast the masses.

Mike in Seattle

Friends always think it's odd to hear that I "still" have stationery, note cards & thank you notes, and that I will sit down and write a thank you with my fountain pen. They think the computer's so much easier and faster (true enough) until they actually get a thank you note or some other type of note. Party invitations ("You can just use Evite!") or birthday cards ("It's so much easier to just send a free one electronically!") and the like fall into the same categorgy. Email birthday cards - yeah, when I get one of those I think, "Wow, they cared enough to sit down at their computer and just send me the first free piece of crap they came across before getting back to Facebook or watching Housewives of Atlanta on the Internet. I feel so honored..."

JWS34

New in Town
At work I use one of my Grandfather's WW2 USN watch mugs for my coffee and it has puzzled my coworkers greatly. it seems silly to have a cup without a handle I guess. It is heavy, solidly built, and I like the connections it brings to me. Very good suggestion.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I don't know what kinds of places you have in your neck of the woods, but all three coffee shops I frequent have ceramic mugs.

Perhaps it's the difference between Chain vs. Locally Owned? [huh]

I think you're right. Dunkin Donuts, Baker's Dozen (a very regional DD-like chain) and Starbucks use paper cups only. The only traditional cafe I know of uses ceramic mugs. I'm starting a cafe, myself, and we'll be using brass, because of our steampunk/saloon motif, but definitely - reusable cups are so much cheaper - especially brass I think, because they don't break when they drop.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I think you're right. Dunkin Donuts, Baker's Dozen (a very regional DD-like chain) and Starbucks use paper cups only. The only traditional cafe I know of uses ceramic mugs. I'm starting a cafe, myself, and we'll be using brass, because of our steampunk/saloon motif, but definitely - reusable cups are so much cheaper - especially brass I think, because they don't break when they drop.
I think brass will impart a very unpleasant taste to the coffee, as well as be very likely to burn your hand. Maybe there can be a compromise? Ceramic lined, or possibly brass motifs?

If I were a betting man, I would have to say the reason places like Starbucks & such do not use ceramic mugs is becasue they would more than likely get stolen. Futhermore, a paper cup with a plastic top is less likely to spill when going over bumps in your car.

I have no problem with offering paper cups to go, but not having regular cups for people who are going to sit and drink their coffee is a little annoying.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab

I'm sorry to say that you're wrong. ALL of the SBX stores here in the DC area have ceramic mugs and plates for in-store dining. AND, I suspect that you will have health violation issues with brass and even if you don't, the chances of me EVER drinking coffee from a METAL (brass) cup are slim/none.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
To be perfectly honest, as I used to be a mechanic, just because it is called a "computer" does not make it such. Do you have power mirrors? They are nothing more than a switch or two & some motors. But it is still called a computer. It is just the terminoligy. Even the most stripped down AM/FM raido is considered a computer.

My certified MINI mechanic refers to certain things as 'modules,' which I took to mean a computer-like object that is not necessary to do a relatively simple job such as open a window or sunroof. What do you need - a switch, wiring, a motor, and something to open, right? Why is a 'module' necessary?

Actually, this is getting a bit off-track from the thread, so if you feel like setting me straight, so to speak, a PM might be the way to go. Thanks!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Widebrim, Amen to only wearing fatigues (or BDUs, or whatever the current acronym is) when in the field or working in a job where it's an appropriate uniform. Sometime during Desert Shield the USAF seems to have decided that Hey! We're warfighters! We should wear go-to-war uniforms as the uniform of the day no matter where we are stationed or what our actual job is! So it didn't matter if you were sitting in a computer room or finance office in a base stateside, the uniform of the day was BDUs. Most places it was assumed you were either meeting a board or in trouble if you were seen in blues. I really disliked that.

Cheers,
Tom

Yes, why would you wear cammies in an office stateside? Are you trying to blend in with the furniture? What really irks me is how the Army has decided that since we're at war (against terrorism), and therefore to promote unity with those in war zones, even recruiters should now wear ACUs. I'm not sure if the other branches are doing that, too, but it is ridiculous. If I were a young guy looking to go into the service, I would be impressed by an Army NCO in his Class B or A Dress Blue Uniform, with ribbons, polished low-quarter dress shoes, and service cap, not a field uniform.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I'm sorry to say that you're wrong. ALL of the SBX stores here in the DC area have ceramic mugs and plates for in-store dining. AND, I suspect that you will have health violation issues with brass and even if you don't, the chances of me EVER drinking coffee from a METAL (brass) cup are slim/none.

I probably am wrong. I wasn't speaking from expertise - just from personal experience. It's cool your Starbucks offers real cups. I wish mine did. We don't have any full fledged Starbucks in my town - a small rural area - we only have Starbucks appendage cafes, part of larger entities... For example, in an air port, or in a Target retail. I don't pretend to be right, just that I can't get a real coffee mug at most of the area's most popular chains. So, hopefully they expand beyond paper cups in the future. In regards to the rest, well, the brass cups are lined, are sold as coffee cups, we'll have to be inspected/approved before opening, and I've got multiple backup plans, at the very least offering the same paper cups I'd prefer not to rely on, so, I'm not worried. I do appreciate all the honesty I get around TFL. Always a good debate to be had.

EDIT: Honestly, my favorite coffee mug I hope comes back is the 1/4 inch thick diner mug - ceramic, no less. The mugs I picked are the same shape and size, are brass exterior, thinner, but lined with what looks like silver but might be stainless steel. Worst case, we get some nice ceramic ones. Either way, I would love to bring back real coffee cups. I've made every mistake once in the 3 years I've been trying to open my own coffee shop, and there are way more mistakes I've yet to make. If it's possible though, brass exterior mugs would be perfect for my theme.

Last edited:

rue

Yes, why would you wear cammies in an office stateside? Are you trying to blend in with the furniture? What really irks me is how the Army has decided that since we're at war (against terrorism), and therefore to promote unity with those in war zones, even recruiters should now wear ACUs. I'm not sure if the other branches are doing that, too, but it is ridiculous. If I were a young guy looking to go into the service, I would be impressed by an Army NCO in his Class B or A Dress Blue Uniform, with ribbons, polished low-quarter dress shoes, and service cap, not a field uniform.

Actually, my husband is a recruiter now and was one once before in the late 90s. The first time out they would wear Class Bs, but not anymore. He was told the reason for the change was that when they went door to door, if there was a soldier already in the family, they would think that they were getting the news of that soldiers death and people would freak out. I don't know what they'll be wearing next day to day, but now they're getting rid of Class As and Bs completely and changing the dress blues so you have options to make them more casual or dressy depending on the occasion.

Sorry for the :eek:fftopic:

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I'm not sure if the other branches are doing that, too, but it is ridiculous. If I were a young guy looking to go into the service, I would be impressed by an Army NCO in his Class B or A Dress Blue Uniform, with ribbons, polished low-quarter dress shoes, and service cap, not a field uniform.

Yes they are WideBrim, I've got a cushy office job and I get to wear the work uniform every day of the week that I work, the idea of wearing any other uniform item is long gone.

As for the 30 things that need to make a comeback, of the 20 something or so that I feel I qualify to commit to, I participate in about 12 of them. Does that make sense? It is 4 am here and I have been up all night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner