Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Thirty Things that Need to Stage a Comeback"

Pompidou

One Too Many
That's what I always thought. Being the big, loud and swaggering, unashamedly proud cowboy immortalized by John Wayne, with lots of freedom, lots of land, and lots of car - it's sort of the American dream. Individualism is as American as apple pie and baseball. The only time I can think of when the good of the many was placed over the good of the individual was WWII and the 50s that followed. Didn't last too long - rebellion ensued in the 60s. Personal liberty will always take precedence in American culture. Just my perspective.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The interesting question is, of course, how much of that image was real and how much of it was created out of the whole cloth by the Boys From Marketing? The idea of America as a land founded by rugged individualists doesn't hold up very well if you go back and look at how the early colonies were run -- every-man-for-himself individualism was neither tolerated nor encouraged because if people went off to do whatever they wanted however they wanted, it put the survival of the entire colony at risk. There was no place in that culture for slackers, loafers, layabouts or drones, or people who were out only for their own advancement.

Or, consider the westward expansion in the 19th century. It took some pretty heavy salesmanship to put across the whole Manifest Destiny idea, and even now, a hundred and fifty years later, those big rugged vistas and wide-open prairies where the buffalo and the Marlboro Man roam remain the most sparsely populated sections of the continent. Most people then and now were perfectly happy to stay where they were. Americans might have liked to *think* of themselves as rugged individuals who wear no man's collar, but it has always been more of a fantasy than a reality.

Which is why swaggering around like Billy-Be-Damned is so obnoxious. Deep down we *know* the world doesn't revolve around us, and taking up three parking spaces at a time, blasting your music into the ears of people who'd rather not hear it, or shouldering people off the sidewalk is exactly the sort of I AM TOO A BIG SHOT SO THERE pose that you'd expect from an undisciplined six year old. Maybe our true National Icon isn't John Wayne at all -- maybe it's actually Dennis The Menace.

Blackjack

One Too Many
I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it , but the lost art of letter writing or should I say penmanship. I love looking at old letters written when folks had pride in their handwriting. I don't but I wish I did, and I agree MANNERS, yes!!!

noonblueapples

Familiar Face
So often thogh it is the loud mouth that gets the raise and promotion. If you ever need to speak to the manager of a retail store nine times out of ten some guy comes out bellowing "How can I help you!!"

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A lot that I agree with, of course, but there are some things that seem debatable...

After I noticed you mentioned road trips that reminded me of my little issue with the entry. I believe Americans still make road trips frequently.

On the other hand, I think the average working stiff doesn't have the same time-off structure or priorities list as folks had in the past. Moreover, I believe it's typical the youth that take road trips now, as opposed to 30+yr folks.

Today, taking time off from work usually requires months of planning, saving one's vacation time as one would save final drops of water, and a person probably swings a few days of "sick" just to make a full two+ weeks out of their vacation. In contrast, folks under 30 don't always have an established career, so it's alot easier for them to run off down Route 66 for a few weeks.

So I don't think it's quite fair to say we should bring roadtrips back when they are here - just not for some of us unlucky corporate slugs.

(*personal note - I take mini-road trips any time I travel to see a band out of state. It usually leads me 4+ hours on the road, a night in a hotel, a day in the city and 4+ hours back. That counts, right? ;) )

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The thing that killed the traditional "road trip" more than anything, I think, was the Interstate Highway System. Where's the fun in driving along an endless, straight four lane asphalt ribbon, sandwiched between a RV with New Mexico plates and a McDonald's supply truck? No towns to go thru, no billboards to read, no character. That might be a good way to get from place to place in a Robert Moses fever dream, but to me, it stinks.

The two-lane primary routes are still around, but when the towns along them got bypassed for the interstates, all the fun and character died out. Now they're all dead downtowns, mind-numbing identical big box stores, and surly kids who'll steal your radio if you forget to lock the door. Phooey.

Steveb1

Familiar Face
The thing that killed the traditional "road trip" more than anything, I think, was the Interstate Highway System. Where's the fun in driving along an endless, straight four lane asphalt ribbon, sandwiched between a RV with New Mexico plates and a McDonald's supply truck? No towns to go thru, no billboards to read, no character. That might be a good way to get from place to place in a Robert Moses fever dream, but to me, it stinks.

The two-lane primary routes are still around, but when the towns along them got bypassed for the interstates, all the fun and character died out. Now they're all dead downtowns, mind-numbing identical big box stores, and surly kids who'll steal your radio if you forget to lock the door. Phooey.

I absolutely agree. Route 1, as an example, was the original route from the Northeast to the Southeast that ultimately was replaced by Interstate 95. Even today, in some places, you can see the remnants of failed Motor Lodges and family restaurants along the corridor. It is a shame because this was the heart and soul of getting in the station wagon and taking a family vacation.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I've never understood the sense of drinking games anyway -- how is being the first to end up throwing up on the floor fun?

Board games in general ought to make a comeback. Chess, checkers, parcheesi, Monopoly, whatever -- cheap, accessible fun for everyone.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I really miss board games. Once in a blue moon, I'm with a group of friends and we decide to play a board game or a card game. Those always seem to turn into very nice evenings. Strangely, a lot of people don't seem to care for board games these days. They must not be "high tech" enough...

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Strangely, a lot of people don't seem to care for board games these days. They must not be "high tech" enough...

Over the years the toy companies have tried to "modernize" board games to make them more "exciting", such as adding electronics to Battleship to make noises--and they require batteries. Bleah.

I am still waiting until the last possible moment to switch to the Navy NWUs (aka "aquaflage"). I think I'm the last man in the fleet still in wash khakis. I work (part time these days) on a ship, doing office work, technical work, and industrial work. Not field tactical manuevers. At least the Navy considers it a working uniform not appropriate for wear in public and requires at least the service uniform.

The Air Force's phase-out date for fatigues was 1 Oct 1990, but BDUs were hard to come by. The first week of September I deployed to the UAE for Operation DESERT SHIELD in fatigues! No, we didn't get the "chocolate chips." I had deployed to support an Air National Guard unit, the members of which were in BDUs. Their wing king saw me in my fatigues and ordered that they issue me BDUs. Free BDUs... worked for me!

With the advent of everyone wearing BDUs as the uniform of the day the AF relaxed the rules for utility uniforms and made them pretty much the same as the service uniform. I wasn't pleased with that, either.

Drinking Songs
The invention of the jukebox seems to have convinced the masses that just because they couldn't sing like a professional, they shouldn't sing at all. Public houses should be social, communal, participatory.

What, Karaoke doesn't count? :D

Cheers,
Tom

HelloJodi

New in Town
I disagree with the thought that highways killed the road trip: that certainly isn't the case for me. I have a tendency to get terribly car sick and nice, long, straight, smooth roads help to prevent that. Also, thanks to the internet, I've met some great people and found out about things occurring in areas where I can make a road trip over a weekend. Just last month I traveled to both Milwaukee and Saint Louis from Columbus, Ohio in 3 day weekends. I could have done neither without highways. And once there, I was able to locate plenty of local color, food and people. It's all still there, it's just not sitting by the side of the road in a greasy diner.

And speaking as someone who grew up in and thankfully escaped from one of those charming little Americana towns, the only thing they have going for them is their quaint external appearance. They are actually just crammed with judgmental people and different variations of Humbert Humbert. You're not missing much by avoiding them.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Over the years the toy companies have tried to "modernize" board games to make them more "exciting", such as adding electronics to Battleship to make noises--and they require batteries. Bleah.

I've seen those "modernized" board games around from time to time. Give me the originals any day. Ironically, I don't think those electronic versions really get the attention of the "high tech" seekers either. They don't think those games are high tech enough!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Another problem with board games today is that they're being mucked up by "brand marketing." There used to be just one Monopoly (unless you also played "Finance",) but now when you go to the store there's fifteen different brand-extensions alongside the original. These aren't on the shelves because they're great games, they're on the shelves because it's a marketing plan that takes up space on the shelves that might otherwise go to Competing Products. So you end up with fifteen versions of Monopoly, fifteen versions of Clue, and fifteen versions of whatever other gimmicky licensed-character thing they've come up with. And the originals -- which have lasted as long as they have because they're great games, not just knockoffs or marketing gimmicks -- get lost in the shuffle. Bah.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I've seen those "modernized" board games around from time to time. Give me the originals any day. Ironically, I don't think those electronic versions really get the attention of the "high tech" seekers either. They don't think those games are high tech enough!

I think the problem is that they insist on trying to put tech in things that are essentially straightforward in nature. I love high tech stuff, but throwing flashing lights on a board game is silly. It is good without them, and it will never compete with computer/video games. They are a different market.

Edward

Bartender
There is that.... though on the flipside, if it's a choice between kids not going near some classics and giving them a shot (who knows, maybe they'll enjoy the 'classic' version later), then I'm all for disco board chess with Osbournes themed pieces (well, maybe not, but you get my drift....). I suspect in large part it comes down to more general social change. Whereas a lot of kids now play video games on their own, I remember board games being a family thing for the most part - especially on wet nights on holiday in the caravan! Dad always encouraged us to play Monopoly as he believes it helps to teach you about managing money and all sorts. I think he had a point there...... mind you, I'm not sure that he intended me to draw the conclusion that capitalism is bad, but that's a whole other can o'worms and not germane to this discussion. lol

Pompidou

One Too Many
The spinoffs aren't replacing the originals, just providing more options, and that's not bad at all. My dad, for example, was given a US Navy themed Monopoly game for his birthday this year. I imagine it'll get as much use as the original Monopoly I got my parents what must be 10 years ago now (one unfinished game then off to the closet). And backing up what Edward said, if it takes themed chessboards to keep people playing chess, at least people are playing chess. My personal chess set is themed around ancient China. Doesn't get any use, so I play most of my chess matches against the computer.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Some of the most mentioned board games, at least in my experience, are monopoly, life, and scrabble. Another game, though, that always brings smiles when mentioned is Trouble, or Frustration, as it was originally called.

'Pop-a-matic, pop the dice, pop a six and you move twice. Race your men around the track and try to send the others back.'

Last edited:

MikeBravo

One Too Many
OT How's this for a minimalist style chess set? All the pieces fit together in the box

minimalist_chess-300x220.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner