Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This or That

Roof, usually the problem can be identified and fixed - for a cost. Cellar leaks can require much more sleuthing which is not what you want to do with water coming in. And if the cellar leak is structural - it can get silly expensive.

The way football players celebrate, to some degree, after ever good play today or the old days of just tossing the ball to the umpire and going back to the huddle like nothing special happened? (I know that sometimes there isn't a celebration today and sometimes they celebrated back in the '60s, but overall, I think the style has changed significantly.)

Second.

Unpleasant sweaty Jersey-bedding or lovely airier, "unsweaty" Seersucker-bedding? :D

Nobert

Practically Family
Because at least three have fallen in the ditch:

-Have them celebrate every play. If Fortuna has seen fit to put me in the position of having to watch football, at least I can get the mild entertainment of watching them make clowns of themselves.
-I haven't been able to suss out the difference between Jersey and Seersucker sheets, but "unsweaty" is kind of a clincher.
-Paper towels, unless I've splashed water on the front of my pants while washing my hands and don't wan't to come out of the bathroom looking as though I wet myself.

Winter boots or overshoes/galoshes?

The way football players celebrate, to some degree, after ever good play today or the old days of just tossing the ball to the umpire and going back to the huddle like nothing special happened? (I know that sometimes there isn't a celebration today and sometimes they celebrated back in the '60s, but overall, I think the style has changed significantly.)

The days of old. Moderate celebration or celebration with teammates is one thing but this protracted 'look at me' $&!? drives me nuts.

The days of when games could end in a tie or overtime, and whether or not you like the OT system, either college or pro.

Rubbers, unless I have a lot of snow to shovel. Then boots.

Build a conventional snow man, or build a rude mockery of a snow man?

Conventional - classics are classics for a reason and the mockery snow man is just another example of the enervating cynicism that is overtaking society.

Gloves or Mitten for a long walk in the snow where manual dexterity is not needed?

Definitely the days of old, when both games could end in a tie (What kind of lesson does it teach kids that somebody HAS to be the loser?) AND moonwalking in the end zone was unheard of.

As to boots or rubbers....THANK GOD ALMIGHTY that I don't ever have to shovel snow.
Same answer to the snowman choice, but on the rare occasion it does snow down here, it's ALWAYS a rude mockery, because we never get more than an inch or two.

And since we're on the topic of cold weather.....wool or space age polymer synthetic performance apparel?

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Gloves, always. And a wool coat, with a wool sweater under it. Best winter coat I've ever owned is made of Harris Tweed.

Earflapped hat or earmuffs?

As for snowmen, I got sick of the other kids wrecking mine, so I built one around a fire hydrant. When they tried to kick it over, they got a surprise.

I do like the new space age stuff for layering especially the base layer, less bulk. I prefer wool outer layers, at least if they get wet they still insulate.

Earflapped cap. Earmuffs don't do much for my shaved head.

Wood stove or fireplace?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Fireplace, (as long as the house also has central heating.) As a boy, the fireplace was the only heat in the house.

Finger dial or push button.

JimWagner

Practically Family
Dial. I despise push-button phones, especially the ones that cut off the connection if you don't punch in the numbers fast enough.

Answer on the first ring, or let it ring for a while first.

Let it ring. I want to have time to check the caller id and decide if it's someone I know or a probable telemarketer.

Telemarketers - eighth circle of Hell or jail?

Let it ring. I want to have time to check the caller id and decide if it's someone I know or a probable telemarketer.

Telemarketers - eighth circle of Hell or jail?

If they violate the "do not call" list - then I'm fine with the 8th circle. Since signing up for that list - one of the best laws Congress ever passed - that problem all but went away for me. Just recently, I noticed a small increase in those calls - I keep winning a free trip to the Bahamas - but it is still a very, very small percentage of what it once was.

Up-and-down-opening windows or side-to-side or casement windows?

If they violate the "do not call" list - then I'm fine with the 8th circle. Since signing up for that list - one of the best laws Congress ever passed - that problem all but went away for me. Just recently, I noticed a small increase in those calls - I keep winning a free trip to the Bahamas - but it is still a very, very small percentage of what it once was.

Up-and-down-opening windows or side-to-side or casement windows?

I prefer the side-to-side ones, as they're easier to clean.

Donuts: cake or yeast?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I don't have caller ID, so if it's a telemarketer I just politely tell them that I'm sorry, I don't have a phone.

I feel sorry for the people who have to do telemarketing for a living, so I wouldn't go after them. But their employers, when I am dictator, will be dealt with severely.

I prefer the side-to-side ones, as they're easier to clean.

Donuts: cake or yeast?

Cake. And they must be fried in lard and not covered with any kind of sugar or glaze.

Peanuts in the shell or peanuts in the vacuum-packed can?

I don't have caller ID, so if it's a telemarketer I just politely tell them that I'm sorry, I don't have a phone.

I feel sorry for the people who have to do telemarketing for a living, so I wouldn't go after them. But their employers, when I am dictator, will be dealt with severely.

Cake. And they must be fried in lard and not covered with any kind of sugar or glaze.

Peanuts in the shell or peanuts in the vacuum-packed can?

Oh definitely in the shell. I couldn't imagine opening a can of peanuts at the ballpark. For one, what would I have to pile up at my feet, and two, I'd look like a doofus.

Ford or Chevy?

Chevy, our family had reasonably good luck with Chevys and horrible luck with Fords. That said, I personally, love a lot of the cars Ford made (up to the late '60s).

Wood or metal desks (think pre-WWII)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana