Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This or That

No worries. I like it either way you name it.

As for beer and root beer mixed.......ummmm, no thanks. Honestly I feel the same about black & tans or half & halfs. Beer is NOT a mixer.

I also prefer beaches. The snow white sandy kind like we have down here on the gulf coast.

And since we're on the beach/ beer path....
Shrimp - steamed or fried?

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Steamed, I think shrimp is too delicate to stand up well most of the time to frying - it looses its essence. Same with lobster - the less done to it the better (assuming it's good lobster or good shrimp).

A day that starts cloudy and the sun breaks through in mid afternoon or a day that start sunny and becomes overcast in the mid-afternoon?

N.B. on an earlier discussion - I love a dark and stormy - wonderful combination.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Sunny in the morning. The only sun my house really gets is the morning sun in the kitchen, and if I don't get that I'm depressed for the rest of the day, especially at this time of the year.

Pull the shades at night or don't bother and leave them open?

Sunny in the morning. The only sun my house really gets is the morning sun in the kitchen, and if I don't get that I'm depressed for the rest of the day, especially at this time of the year.

Pull the shades at night or don't bother and leave them open?

Okay, in NYC, here's the calculation, if you don't pull the shades, many will be able to see in (hundreds as we, like most New Yorkers, face several large apartment buildings), but since it is so many who can see, and so many you can see, that there is an anonymity to the sheer numbers of it all. We pull them down, but that's more my girlfriend than me, I really don't care, but she does.

When contacting a company for information: speak to a rep / use live chat / email?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Okay, in NYC, here's the calculation, if you don't pull the shades, many will be able to see in (hundreds as we, like most New Yorkers, face several large apartment buildings), but since it is so many who can see, and so many you can see, that there is an anonymity to the sheer numbers of it all. We pull them down, but that's more my girlfriend than me, I really don't care, but she does.

When contacting a company for information: speak to a rep / use live chat / email?

Prefer speaking in person.
I mostly use texting with images to help someone with a project they are working on.

If you were to have a day off tomorrow,,,,

Do the chores that you have been putting off ?

Relax all day & treat yourself to what ever you enjoy?

Steamed, I think shrimp is too delicate to stand up well most of the time to frying - it looses its essence. Same with lobster - the less done to it the better (assuming it's good lobster or good shrimp).

Oooh, gotta disagree with you there. Shrimp is best done at rocket hot temperature, as quickly as possible. That means frying or grilling over as close to a jet engine as you can get. If you cook it more than 2-minutes, at most, it turns to rubber. Steaming, IMHO, turns it to mush. And it's got to be fresh. From the ocean.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Oooh, gotta disagree with you there. Shrimp is best done at rocket hot temperature, as quickly as possible. That means frying or grilling over as close to a jet engine as you can get. If you cook it more than 2-minutes, at most, it turns to rubber. Steaming, IMHO, turns it to mush. And it's got to be fresh. From the ocean.

I disagree.
If done correctly, or actually to your satisfaction, both ways are very enjoyable.

It’s a matter of what you prefer as your first choice.

But what do I know...
I have the habit of drinking the wrong wines with certain meals &
have been told that I shouldn’t wear summer colors in the winter.
I really don’t give a rat’s arsenal what they think ! :cool:

Last edited:

I'm with you on grilling - shrimp keeps its "shrimpness" and the grilling adds another flavor. I just feel that breaded and fried, the shrimp is overwhelmed and just tastes like everything else that has been breaded and fried.

Now don't get me wrong - I enjoy fried food (now and then, I'm trying to overcome my grandfather who died at 49 and father at 64 gene drag), but think there are better things to fry than shrimp. IMHO, the potato fries particularly well.

LizzieMaine

Bartender

If it isn't bought from a guy at the side of the road with a rusty truck with SHRIMP CLAMS LOBSTERS crudely painted on the side, it's not even worth talking about.

img_4158_0.jpg

There are no fresh shrimp available in Maine due to the current shrimping ban, so no shrimp will be eaten until further notice.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Steamed, I think shrimp is too delicate to stand up well most of the time to frying - it looses its essence.
Heresy, sacrilege, what you are thinking of, is pan fried on a high heat. What you are not thinking of, is a mix of multiple seafood, chicken, peppers, onions garlic and risotto rice. That, my friend is the basis of a good Paella.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I have the habit of drinking the wrong wines with certain meals & have been told that I shouldn’t wear summer colours in the winter. I really don’t give a rat’s arsenal what they think ! :cool:
You don't drink the wrong wines, if the wines that you do drink, are to your enjoyment. Some say that only white wine goes with fish. If that's to their pallet fine, their pallet is not your pallet, so if anyone wants to assert their taste or opinion on you, quite rightly, tell them to go to a dark place where the sun never shines. As for wearing summer colours in the depths of winter, I cannot think of a better way of brightening up both your day, and those whom you come into contact with. What is it with arseholes who want to assert their lifestyle and opinions onto everyone else?

Better get back on topic:
Langoustines or Dublin Bay Prawns?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Langoustines & Dublin Bay Prawns are shrimp like crustaceans, I doubt if you could tell the difference. It killed this thread though.
Frank Sinatra or Dean Martin?

Langoustines & Dublin Bay Prawns are shrimp like crustaceans, I doubt if you could tell the difference. It killed this thread though.
Frank Sinatra or Dean Martin?

While I think Dean had more talent than he is given credit for and some of the recent 100th Birthday hagiography of Frank was a little much, Frank was still the greater talent.

Dean Martin or Jerry Lewis?

N.B. Thank you for reviving the thread.

Dean Martin, Lewis was always "too" over the next top for me.

Dean Martin's singing or acting?

(agree on your Martin choice over Lewis)

Singing (but by a nose, when serious, the guy could act, but too many mailing-it-in roles and he really could sing well)

Dean in "Some Came Running" or "The Young Lions" or "Airport?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24