Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoroughbred Hats?

Mickey Q

Familiar Face

Attachments

• 0AA8A76B-5543-4256-90A8-E8B213756A8C.jpeg
    0AA8A76B-5543-4256-90A8-E8B213756A8C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 73
  • EC169D49-CBA5-4EDD-958B-DE2E16A16302.jpeg
    EC169D49-CBA5-4EDD-958B-DE2E16A16302.jpeg
    918.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 7FBC6E12-DAC3-4294-BE40-FF0233EDD1D6.jpeg
    7FBC6E12-DAC3-4294-BE40-FF0233EDD1D6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 61
  • A62D8FDD-CF08-424F-A8F1-FE340E99E981.jpeg
    A62D8FDD-CF08-424F-A8F1-FE340E99E981.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 74

WineGuy

A-List Customer
I've been trying for years to find the provenance of the Pedigreed Thoroughbred Hat Co and have been astounded to how little history I could find. But today I found the following screen shots and they seem to reveal some history. Hopefully one of our fellow FL members might run with this and find more information.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 11.52.37 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 11.52.37 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
  • Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 11.46.44 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 11.46.44 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 66
I've been trying for years to find the provenance of the Pedigreed Thoroughbred Hat Co and have been astounded to how little history I could find. But today I found the following screen shots and they seem to reveal some history. Hopefully one of our fellow FL members might run with this and find more information.

I don’t think it was its own hat company. It was just one of the many “brands” made by the Langengerg Hat Co. which later became Beaver Brand Hats. There were many of these “sub-brands” made by Langengerg.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/langenberg-beaver-brands.101868/

WineGuy

A-List Customer
I don’t think it was its own hat company. It was just one of the many “brands” made by the Langengerg Hat Co. which later became Beaver Brand Hats. There were many of these “sub-brands” made by Langengerg.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/langenberg-beaver-brands.101868/
The Advertising clip on the right Cleary shows Thoroughbred being a line from the Boogher, Force & Goodbar Hat Co. And it's represented as a premium hat line. I've been able to find personal bios on each of the partner names but nothing on the company itself.

There are many a "hat company" that do not make but just wholesale/resale hats....even back in the day. There are private label hats made for such companies as well, "their hat" in that is is made for them exclusively and not sold by others.

AND there are/were even hat manufacturers who wholesale hats other than their own.

But you have unearthed that at the least, "Thoroughbred" is their private label.

We need more to guess more than that....

It is a fact that the Langenburg Hat Company did produce that label, we just don't know when they started for sure.

EDIT: Corrected Langenburg......

Last edited:

WineGuy

A-List Customer
There are many a "hat company" that do not make but just wholesale/resale hats....even back in the day. There are private label hats made for such companies as well, "their hat" in that is is made for them exclusively and not sold by others.

AND there are/were even hat manufacturers who wholesale hats other than their own.

But you have unearthed that at the least, "Thoroughbred" is their private label.

We need more to guess more than that....

It is a fact that the Langlely Hat Company did produce that label, we just don't know when they started for sure.
Is that Langlely or Langley?

Last edited:

Cat Cathy Comenas

New in Town
Bought this hat at an Antique store in Kalama Washington for 18 dollars. I have never heard of Thoroughbred Hats. I have been looking for these Grizzly hats or sometimes called a Shag Finish. These hats are genuine fur felt hats with a long hair finish. This one is in good condition. It just has some moth issues but it just makes the hat look better and aged. The late great rodeo star Larry Mahan appears to be wearing one of these during the 70's. I didn't really like the shape of the crown, brim and hat band. Taking off the hat band I found that the original ribbon was still there. I have failed so many times using steam to re-shape my hats via tea kettle or steamer. I found that the best way was to wet them with hot water then shape. But you need to be careful if the sweatband is old. The leather sweatband will crack when its drying. After I reshape it I put in a hat retainer so it won't shrink and the sweatband won shrink. I love open crowns so I reshaped it with an open crown, horse hair hat band, flat brim and a feather.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    192 KB · Views: 50
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 45
  • P1050143.JPG
    P1050143.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
  • P1050141.JPG
    P1050141.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 46
  • P1050139.JPG
    P1050139.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
  • Mahan_Larry_ProRodeoHallOfFame_Inductee.jpg
    Mahan_Larry_ProRodeoHallOfFame_Inductee.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 42
Bought this hat at an Antique store in Kalama Washington for 18 dollars. I have never heard of Thoroughbred Hats. I have been looking for these Grizzly hats or sometimes called a Shag Finish. These hats are genuine fur felt hats with a long hair finish. This one is in good condition. It just has some moth issues but it just makes the hat look better and aged. The late great rodeo star Larry Mahan appears to be wearing one of these during the 70's. I didn't really like the shape of the crown, brim and hat band. Taking off the hat band I found that the original ribbon was still there. I have failed so many times using steam to re-shape my hats via tea kettle or steamer. I found that the best way was to wet them with hot water then shape. But you need to be careful if the sweatband is old. The leather sweatband will crack when its drying. After I reshape it I put in a hat retainer so it won't shrink and the sweatband won shrink. I love open crowns so I reshaped it with an open crown, horse hair hat band, flat brim and a feather.

Nice hat. I too like the longhair finishes.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/thoroughbred-hats.48764/page-4

These are a part of the Langengerg/Beaver Brand Hat Co.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/langenberg-beaver-brands.101868/page-7

Last edited:

Wednesdayschild

New in Town
I absolutely LOVE this furry open crown hat! I think we share that love of imperfection in our hats. Great job, and kudos on getting such a good deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21