Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

thoughts new langlitz site ?

Colin G

One Too Many
Scott at Langlitz suggested there is actually no difference between snug and tight fit. He explained that when people choose the "tight" fit it is a red flag for them to ask more questions about the the clients preferred fit/expectations (my paraphrase).

That was not mentioned to me. I actually found it hard to get detailed info out of them and had to ask many questions. Nothing was volunteered by them in regards to fit help or info.

I figured tight or very snug fit was for motorcycle racing or the for the leather boys.

Colin G

One Too Many
Colin, that is a beautiful jacket indeed, regardless! How do you like/dislike the pleats in the back? That would be one thing I have no experance with. I'd just let Bennie know and send it on it's way. Sure hope the new one is a better fit but will look just as well. I like the hide & yokes on that jacket a lot. Also I'm with you on the sleeve length.

I really like the pin stripes on the back. It is interesting but not a "hey, look at me" kind of thing. Subtle yet noticeable if that makes any sense.

I am sure a new one will be perfect.

Stunning jacket, hope they have more choice of different hide.

They have many choices and they can send you hide samples. Their dark brown is very nice also.

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That was not mentioned to me. I actually found it hard to get detailed info out of them and had to ask many questions. Nothing was volunteered by them in regards to fit help or info.

I figured tight or very snug fit was for motorcycle racing or the for the leather boys.

I did not even know about your awesome cuffs as an option, or there is a decent chance I would have ordered them too.

There are so many options available where do you even begin as a client or provider (Langlitz)?

I would recommend to anyone considering a Langlitz to pour over the Japanese social media to get some ideas of what can be done to personalize any of the Langlitz jackets. It can be really overwhelming but places like The Lounge certainly help big time. Ross Langlitz, I read, stated that for motorcycle use leather should be like a second skin. I translate that to mean snug- very snug. And yes- I agree; very snug would be for motorcycle use or fetish activities (I only participate in one of those activities; with my Yamaha ;)
It is a real learning experience/curve. Rest assured, Langlitz will take care of you. This really gives you the opportunity to get precisely what you want from this jacket. And please consider the colored leathers. They are beautiful, sturdy enough and then some, for motorcycle use, and make for some outstanding style options. The colored leather is more pliable and mine is establishing some fantastic varied graining already.

And my medium cowhide for motorcycle use?- Splendid. I can wear that off the bike too. I have that jacket out in the open and regularly knead it to soften it up (getting ready for next riding season). And it is working. The leather is looking better and better. And is becoming softer.

And those pin stripes are seriously bad ass looking on the your jacket. Thanks for the photos and sharing your experiences.
I have read, that some people make further changes to their jackets when size has been an issue. If they have to remake your jacket do not be afraid to ask for other changes. And why not. Maybe a mouton removable collar?! Just saying.....

sweetfights

And I did ask a lot of questions. And appreciated their patience in answering. That was one of my many questions. The difference between snug and very snug.

sweetfights

I really like the pin stripes on the back. It is interesting but not a "hey, look at me" kind of thing. Subtle yet noticeable if that makes any sense.

I am sure a new one will be perfect.

They have many choices and they can send you hide samples. Their dark brown is very nice also.

The dark brown is excellent. When I do another Langlitz I am very tempted by their Navy Blue.
Ask for as many color samples as interest you. I am thinking of getting the wife a Langlitz.

Colin G

One Too Many
Only other change would be using a thinner leather on the zipped sleeve gussets. That is the only thing I'd change when I get a slightly larger one made. The one they sent me is %100 what I want, just a bit on the small side.

sweetfights

Only other change would be using a thinner leather on the zipped sleeve gussets. That is the only thing I'd change when I get a slightly larger one made. The one they sent me is %100 what I want, just a bit on the small side.

Oh damn. I forgot to mention that. Only because of my experiences with the Aero Cafe Racer's I came to the conclusion that the leather used for the gussets and windflap should be thinner/softer. It was an irritant on my Aero Cafe Racers to have this thick leather digging into my wrists. And zipping up the Aero jackets with the thick windflaps was a pain especially with the smaller than I would like zippers.

For my Langlitz I requested and received goat leather for the gussets and windflap.

For my Langlitz I requested and received goat leather for the gussets and windflap.
Well played sweets. That's a smart bit of functional engineering. Man some day I'll have a sidewinder. It's just such a cool jacket and the pinstriped back is jaw dropping. When the back is as good, if not better, than the front...man where else do you even go from there?

Psant25

One Too Many
holy shite... i emailed scott at langlitz today about adding a pants belt to my columbia order. i have a soft fold snap wallet coming too. he is like "sure sounds great did you get my email yesterday or my call on 12/11 your jacket is done just want to check with you if I can charge and ship." they have been having problems with email he said. i am assuming a wrong number my phone is always attached to my hand.

ummm. yes ship that thang. put in deposit 11/26 damnit that is fast.

lol or maybe im getting someones returned jacket similar specs...oh well who cares i guess if the glove fits

Colin G

One Too Many
It's just such a cool jacket and the pinstriped back is jaw dropping. When the back is as good, if not better, than the front...man where else do you even go from there?

DSC_0137.JPG

Edward

Bartender
View attachment 149037

Must be my work computer. I can read the article once I was at home.

It is a nice jacket but too small so unfortunately it has to go back. Fat guy in a little coat......

Too much taper in the body and things get tight. I don't have a gut or love handles and I had to suck my stomach in to zip it. It needs an inch more of length in sleeves also and maybe even the body. I think the zipper is crooked also. All my nitpicking aside, it is quite a lovely piece and I want the exact same thing just a tad larger.

The wait begins again.

It looks fantastic - almost like a ruggedised Lewis Dominator or Aero Original 59er Highwayman. Totally understand what you mean about fit, though. It's not obvious in the photo at all, but as a wise man once said, being able to fit into something doesn't always mean it 'fits'. Hopefully the replacement will work out better. Looks like a nice hide.

Ha, backpatches, now that takes me back.... 'battle jacket', anyone?

JamesAveryAustin

New in Town
I lost some weight also but definitely do not need to lose more. I am as thin as I have ever been except for maybe right out of high school.

I wanted to be able to wear a long sleeve shirt underneath like a collared denim shirt, which is the most I would wear. No chance of that.

A tight t-shirt is all that can fit and need a shoe horn to get into that jacket. If it was ordered as a tight fit I don't think I'd be able to zip it up.

Do not feel the least bit of reluctance in returning. Langlitz wants you fully satisfied!! Looks amazing,and before you know it you will have a jacket that fits perfectly. Did you go with medium or light cowhide? I forget.

I had a similar experience with my first Langlitz and a very different experience, in terms of commitment to customer satisfaction. I ordered a Timberline with a snug fit and, when it arrived, I could just barely get it zipped up. At that time, I didn't have any gut whatsoever, but I had to tighten my core intensely just to attempt zipping up. When I did so, it pushed the jacket higher up on my torso which made it press against the bottom of my helmet. It was neither comfortable on or off the bike.

When I emailed about this concern, I was told something like, "Oh, gosh. We'll take care of that." But then I got a phone call that began with, "I hear you have some issues with the fit." I explained the above in great detail and was told, "The jacket is going to break in." When I said, "It's almost impossible to get it zipped," I was told, "I think you should wear it for a couple of months and let it break in." And, when I said, "But it isn't comfortable to wear," I was told, again, that it would loosen up enough if I just wore it.

I never could wear it, though, sadly. I ended up taking it to the thrift store. Funnily enough, I saw it listed on eBay four or five years later. The seller's brother had bought it from the thrift store, I found out, after inquiring.

I've since bought another Langlitz—a Cascade—that fit perfectly at every point right out of the gate. When the main zipper in that jacket failed after eight months of wear, I was told I could pay to have it replaced.

I don't mean to bash LL here. I find them intensely devoted to their craft, and they've been nothing but nice to me, both in person and via email. To take advantage of their fit guarantee, though, maybe I'd have to be a much pushier person. Which seems an odd requirement.

Psant25

One Too Many
Yeah that is different than what I have experienced with them. Nothing wrong with being assertive. I think if you said up front “this jacket does not fit and i cannot wear it and if we cannot come to some agreement on a remake I would like to simply return and get a full refund.”

I can see how this happens though. I got my first columbia and sleeves were very long. I was going to send in and they said wear it for a few months as sometimes they shorten quite a bit. Which is true...but I then was not 100 percent happy with the infinite creases as it all bunched up. Finally I was a little more matter of fact and I said look these sleeves are too long and im sending them in. They chopped off an inch and return shipped all free.

They have been very good to me so far. Too bad you did not have a great experience from the start.

JamesAveryAustin

New in Town
I'm glad they helped you out with that sleeve length. It's ultimately my fault that I didn't push harder. I just think it's sort of strange to present an ethos that's so devoted to customer satisfaction and then require the customer to be really assertive and draw a hard line. Maybe I'm just not old school enough. :)

Like I said, I still bought from them again, and the result of that was very positive.

El Marro

But then I got a phone call that began with, "I hear you have some issues with the fit." I explained the above in great detail and was told, "The jacket is going to break in." When I said, "It's almost impossible to get it zipped," I was told, "I think you should wear it for a couple of months and let it break in." And, when I said, "But it isn't comfortable to wear," I was told, again, that it would loosen up enough if I just wore it.
This was the same reaction I got when I called about my first Columbia. It wasn’t nearly as tight as yours but it was tighter than requested and left no room to tighten the waist cinches. Since the jacket was wearable I did keep it for another month to see if anything changed, even tried wearing it with a couple bulky vests underneath to stretch things out. In the end I sent it back as I had wanted to from the beginning and the remake fit perfectly.
I had the same exact experience with my straight zipper Cascade, which surprised me because they had already made two jackets for me. Also, I had requested a looser fit for this jacket. This time I was not interested in wearing the jacket for a month or two to see if it loosened up, I sent it back immediately.
In January I went to Langlitz with a custom order for a straight zip CHP in heavy brown cowhide. They took my deposit but then a week later informed me they were going to decline my custom order because of our “track record” with remakes. I was a bit pissed off and insulted by this to be honest. If they had been able to make me jackets that fit the first time I would’ve been happy to wear them.
The recent experience soured me a bit on Langlitz. I love the two jackets I have from them but I don’t think I will look to them for anything in the future, at least until Stuart at LW starts turning me down...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21