1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

thoughts new langlitz site ?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Psant25, Dec 6, 2018 at 3:43 PM.

1. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab

From memory, I believe they were in the neighborhood of $700-800. Whereas, you can usually do a little better on eBay with an auction listing, around $550-1000 depending on the specifics (condition, age, rarity, features).

rolf s likes this.
  2. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

That's interesting...I had a vintage Columbia...I couldn't sell it fast enough. The newer stuff actually looks far more impressive.

3. sweetfights

sweetfights One Too Many

LOL- I would work for jacket upgrades!!

red devil, Guppy and ton312 like this.
  4. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab

Most of the Langlitz jackets I've seen for sale on ebay and whatnot look superb. I was pretty surprised to see that wasn't the case with the pre-owned rack at their store. It's possible that what stays on the rack is what doesn't sell, and that they move the really desirable examples too quickly for me to have chanced into one on the particular day of my visit.

sweetfights and ton312 like this.
  5. red devil

red devil One Too Many

They sure should, he sold me Langlitz! :D
    I ordered a catalogue after seeing your sidewinder @sweetfights
    Also pretty sure I wasn't the only one who did so either :)

I am planning to order something from them, but still not sure what. The Japanese website is a really good source of inspiration

sweetfights likes this.
  6. sweetfights

sweetfights One Too Many

The Japanese examples are what sold me 100% on trying Langlitz. And I know guys, myself included, debate the whole new vs resale but I am really telling anyone who will listen, having a custom jacket and feeling the fit made for your own frame just feels so incredible. Nothing like it. Honestly, most of us sucked into the FL vortex eventually spend a lot of money on jackets. Why not custom? Not just the fit but every conceivable option is available.

7. sweetfights

sweetfights One Too Many

I suspect the same Guppy....

Guppy likes this.
  8. red devil

red devil One Too Many

I have been pushing custom quite far recently, results to be seen next year :)

So it's a pretty good time for me to order a Langlitz... only for this I will probably create a thread, as I would like take advantage of the experience present here :)

It will be a riding jacket first

roadking04 and sweetfights like this.
  9. sweetfights

sweetfights One Too Many

I hear you. That thread would be great.
    I started with the custom Langlitz for my bike, then casual wear. But the casual wear easily doubles as a bike jacket too. Win/Win ....

dannyk and red devil like this.
  10. red devil

red devil One Too Many

I talked with one of them there, and they mentioned that the cascade or columbia would be the best riding jacket.

The sidewinder is more of the fashion one... but considering their pedigree, what they call a fashion jacket should be a much better riding jacket than most of the makers we favour here.

sweetfights and ton312 like this.
  11. sweetfights

sweetfights One Too Many

Exactly. My sidewinder with cossack collar is without a doubt the best riding jacket I have ever had.

red devil likes this.
  12. El Marro

El Marro Practically Family

Carlos,
    You can definitely order the Japanese models from Langlitz. It was only through looking at the Langlitz Japan site that I found the 1949 Columbia. This was the original Langlitz jacket, it has a narrower waist band with no dip in the back and wider lapels than the current model. I found the guys at Langlitz to be very nice, but not terribly helpful in suggesting options and ideas when I was designing my jackets. The Langlitz Japan website and blog are where I found what I was looking for
    As far as I know the only exception to this rule is the Death’s Head Cascade. Scott at Langlitz told me that they want to measure you in person before they will make this jacket for you. Apparently it is a very tricky pattern to get right and they have had too many bad experiences going off measurements taken by the customer and sent into them.

Carlos840 and sweetfights like this.
  13. sweetfights

sweetfights One Too Many

So true. With Langlitz you should do in depth research because the variables and options are seemingly countless.
    So many options that a guy can get a little stuck deciding between evenly weighed options.

El Marro likes this.
  14. Colin G

Colin G One of the Regulars

Red, I ordered the Sidewinder/Timberline but added a bi-swing back so if I ever ride my motorcycle with it, the cuffs won't be half way up my wrist. Modded the cuffs, changed the collar ect so don't necessarily rule that jacket out.

I like a slimmer fitting jacket. Always have and always will so that is the pattern I chose. It has the highest armhole out of the jackets that they make.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 1:02 PM
    red devil and sweetfights like this.
  15. sweetfights

sweetfights One Too Many

Yes, yes and yes.

red devil likes this.
  16. red devil

red devil One Too Many

Very good points, thanks!

17. sweetfights

sweetfights One Too Many

Especially on the higher armholes and slimmer fit. Both what I like too.

red devil likes this.
  18. Corky Corcovado

Corky Corcovado One of the Regulars

1107181153a-01.jpeg 1107181153-02.jpeg
    I got this beauty off the sale rack in Portland. 1970s Columbia with insulation and a grey removable mouton collar. I negotiated the price with Benny and walked away satisfied. Some jackets are consigned and others are trade-ins and have more "flexible" price tags. Plus I got an impromptu tour of the whole operation. They have a stockpile of interesting leathers to draw from...if you should inquire.

ton312, JMax, Guppy and 3 others like this.
  19. dannyk

dannyk A-List Customer

Interesting. I really like the gray collar.

sweetfights likes this.
  20. sweetfights

sweetfights One Too Many

That is a fantastic Langlitz!! How long ago did you pick this up?? You scored!