Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on Shangri-La leather jackets?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
What's your size? Here's one for €280 but I'm sure he'll accept an offer. Or a brown one for less.

10F3EF93-3BBB-453F-B9B4-C906540DF223.jpeg

Laurus

Familiar Face
Fit dude… try to understand what you want. These two jackets look superficially the same but fit very differently. The delta in quality is close to zero. The delta in price is also small.

The delta in quality is small between the Aero/Shangri-la or the Aero/Simmons Bilt?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
On a side note, how on Earth did you find that? I'm in the UK and when I look on Vinted for the same jacket I can't seem to find it.
Because vinted has different branches. You're searching within the GB branch, these are listed on (one of the) European branches.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for that, I'll probably do that but what are your opinions on Simmons Bilt? I'm well aware of their history with Aero, but they appear to have quite a bit of customisability with their jackets.

Aero has just as much customisability. Simmons even apart from its criminal start has had issues like delivering a size 38 jacket with 44 waist and claiming that’s normal when the customer complained. They’re using the same pattern as Aero (stolen from them which means the pattern corrections Aero made are not reflected) but that’s a customer service black hole.

Last edited:

Laurus

Familiar Face
Because vinted has different branches. You're searching within the GB branch, these are listed on (one of the) European branches.
I take it I wouldn't be able to buy it then? There doesn't appear to be a buy option on the page :p

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In addition to import costs, be aware that Schott Japan jackets (while legitimate unlike Euroschott) usually have reverse vanity sizing. The Japanese market Perfecto in size 42 has measurements closer to a size 34, for instance.

Laurus

Familiar Face
In addition to import costs, be aware that Schott Japan jackets (while legitimate unlike Euroschott) usually have reverse vanity sizing. The Japanese market Perfecto in size 42 has measurements closer to a size 34, for instance.
Ah you might be right actually. Damn, foiled again!

Laurus

Familiar Face
Nope, unless you want me to buy it for you.

Right, I'll ask you both because you seem to be quite the connoisseurs when it comes to vintage jackets, do any of these look like good deals?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224623304550?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e12061.m43.l3160&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=d250156102f14162933dd9f5f092212e&bu=44068183956&osub=-1~1&crd=20220127081237&segname=12061&sojTags=ch=ch,bu=bu,osub=osub,crd=crd,segname=segname,chnl=mkcid

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20379353...n:1&_trksid=p2380424.m570.l5997&ul_noapp=true

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203707876474

Thanks for your input!

Last edited:

Squirrel_hero

Familiar Face
If people are interested I did an unboxing a while ago not sure why I never shared it here.

Shangrila Heritage - “Varenne” Olmo Badalassi Leather jacket unboxing

Overall I’m happy with the jacket! It’s no Thedi lol like Marc would say but it’s nice quality. I only found one or two minor issues with the stitching but nothing major. It’s aging really beautifully! It’s comfortable to wear and people always ask me where I got it.

I plan on doing an update video as well as a comparison video of my badalassi jackets by Aero, Thedi, and shangrila just haven’t had the time but I will soon!

bigmanbigtruck

Familiar Face
The jacket looks beautiful (I'm sure the Badalassi helps) and even though it isn't custom, fits you well.
Their Badalassi leather jackets are quite pricey though, nearly ~1850 USD for stock sizing and ~2400 USD for MTM sizing.

I'm not sure why Italian manufacturers aren't discussed here more often. Before joining here, always had the idea that it was the holy grail for leather jackets - could be very wrong on that though. Is it because there are no quality options vs rest of the world? or some other reason I'm not aware of?

Squirrel_hero

Familiar Face
The jacket looks beautiful (I'm sure the Badalassi helps) and even though it isn't custom, fits you well.
Their Badalassi leather jackets are quite pricey though, nearly ~1850 USD for stock sizing and ~2400 USD for MTM sizing.

I'm not sure why Italian manufacturers aren't discussed here more often. Before joining here, always had the idea that it was the holy grail for leather jackets - could be very wrong on that though. Is it because there are no quality options vs rest of the world? or some other reason I'm not aware of?
Agreed I don’t think I would have placed the order not for the discount applied. I don’t think the price jump from horse to badalassi is justified. Not at their current price point

MickeyPunch

Familiar Face
I plan on doing an update video as well as a comparison video of my badalassi jackets by Aero, Thedi, and shangrila just haven’t had the time but I will soon!
Please do post that video. I like your videos as they come across as genuine and non-pretentious, just some guy enjoying his jackets like I do.

I’m waiting for a Badalassi Aero and I’m priced out of Shangri-la and Thedi but I’d like to see how they compare.
Italians are reaaaally good at marketing. They’ve made the “Made in Italy” brand a really powerful one.

The reality is that they don’t have minimum wage, unlike most European countries, and “chinese sweatshops in Italy” are a sad reality.

Hell they even buy olive oil from Spain and bottle it in Italy because they can charge more than a spanish brand could.

RayBans, at least the ones I see here in Europe, are “made in Italy” and they’re total crap for the price, for example. Many of their tortoiseshell ones are just printed plastic and not acetate.

That’s not to mean there isn’t really good stuff made there of course.

bigmanbigtruck

Familiar Face
Italians are reaaaally good at marketing. They’ve made the “Made in Italy” brand a really powerful one.

The reality is that they don’t have minimum wage, unlike most European countries, and “chinese sweatshops in Italy” are a sad reality.

Hell they even buy olive oil from Spain and bottle it in Italy because they can charge more than a spanish brand could.

RayBans, at least the ones I see here in Europe, are “made in Italy” and they’re total crap for the price, for example. Many of their tortoiseshell ones are just printed plastic and not acetate.

Oh for sure, a lot of the brands there rely on the “Made in Italy” tag there to carry them. I figured there still must be some hidden gems out there that are able to compete with the likes of Aero, Thedi, etc…

It seems like Italy only has great tanneries with the likes of Badalassi and others in Vicenza and Tuscany.

Last edited:
Please do post that video. I like your videos as they come across as genuine and non-pretentious, just some guy enjoying his jackets like I do.

I’m waiting for a Badalassi Aero and I’m priced out of Shangri-la and Thedi but I’d like to see how they compare.

IMO Aero makes a nicer jacket. These look ok. Certainly not bad but I don’t see anything that I would pop the asking price for, not even close frankly. The patterns look really basic and frankly the varenne is essentially just a Walter Dyer. Not trying to piss on the brand but I do think, looking at the catalog, Aero is a far better buy. Particularly if you ever need to sell it. There is no brand cache here.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points