Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Three G-1's, a mini review.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
OK, my Cockpit USA G-1 just arrived. Also, I have a USWings G-1 (Schott), and one from Alpha. My jackets (A-2 included) range in size from a 38R to a 44R, with some 42's and a size M in the mix.

This Cockpit G-1, size 42R, is the smallest of the bunch! But, it is a good, slim style "military" fit, i.e., better not gain any weight!

It is light weight compared to the others, but not as light as the Alpha. The USWings is by far the heaviest, with the Leather Coats Etc. close behind. Quality of construction is first class, with the stitching and seams all being straight and spot on.

Very nice, very DARK brown (almost black, depending on lighting) goatskin, with a super soft mouton collar. The knits are a very rich wool / nylon blend that gives them a silky smooth feel to the touch.

The paperclip style YKK zipper is effortless and smooth in operation.

The mouton collar on this jacket is about the correct size, where the USWings collar is just a little large, and the Alpha collar is pointed on the end.

The grain pattern is quite pronounced, more so than on my other A-2's, G-1's.

This G-1 has a most pleasant, subtle aroma of new leather. It along with my other jackets really makes my closet quite nice!

The Cockpit will be a great jacket when just wearing a T-Shirt, or a Polo Shirt. When really cold, the USWings will be better as it is heavier and will allow a light sweater underneath.

After owning a number of leather jackets, the G-1 from Schott (US Wings) is as good as any of them...maybe even the best of my collection.

Extremely pleased with this latest arrival. Just be warned, these really do run smallish in cut! If looking for a true form fitted jacket, this is the answer.

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Some photos...
IMG_0142.jpg IMG_0141.jpg IMG_0143.jpg IMG_0144.jpg IMG_0145.jpg IMG_0146.jpg IMG_0147.jpg IMG_0148.jpg

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Excellent photos. How does the Alpha compare with the other two? And what is the price $$ comparison between the three?

Hi Doc - The Alpha is very close to the Cockpit, very close. The US Wings is the best of the three. Thicker leather, just seems more sturdy. But they are all great jackets! Price? USWings Signature G-1 is $540, the Alpha can be bought for as low as $249 (list is $375) www.armynavyusa.com, and the Cockpit G-1 lists for $510, but shop around and you can find it for well under $400 ($330). Sunrise Aviation Pilot Store is a good source. www.sunrisepilotshop.com

Quality:
1. USWings (grade = 10.0)
2. Cockpit (grade = 9.5)
3. Alpha (grade = 8.25)

Anything less than a "7" would be considered "Beater Class".

Sizing? The Cockpit is the best fit, most accurate size (but smallish), and is the more "flattering" of the bunch. In fact, it is the only one that actually looks good on my frame.

But again, let me stress that these are all very nice G-1's. You would be pleased to wear any of them.

[video]https://youtu.be/2B_HrsTjPog[/video]

Also, the Leather Coats Etc. G-1 was under serious consideration. I have their A-2 which is very nice. The G-1 can be shipped to your front door for $223. But is has synthetic fur, and is cowhide. I think their jackets run a little on the large side from a size standpoint.

Last edited:

Deacon211

One Too Many
Nice jackets all there Tex!

I'd have to say that the Cockpit is kind of on an upswing in my mind. Also, I'd have to agree when I tried one on that the leather was a bit light. But so far, everyone I've seen wearing one (including myself) looks great in it.

As an aside, I spent most of my flying career in 42L flight suits, but my original G-1 was a 44. So the guy in the video upsizing one size I'd say was perfectly in keeping with what is coming out of aviation supply.

How do you feel the roominess compares between the USW and the Cockpit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
How do you feel the roominess compares between the USW and the Cockpit?

Well, hard to compare as they are different sizes. The USW is a 44R, the Cockpit is 42R. But it is the smallest jacket by far in my collection. Smaller than my 38R!

There is zero extra room here. A T-Shirt is about all I'll wear under this...perhaps a golf / polo type shirt. But that's it. The USW G-1 has some extra room, mainly through the sleeves, which my arms can "swim" in. Enough room for a heavy shirt or sweater.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great review TX my appetite is potentially whetted for a Cockpit G1.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Great review TX my appetite is potentially whetted for a Cockpit G1.

It is the best fitting jacket of the whole bunch. But my advice would be this: If you want a slim fit, order one size larger. If you want a loose, more casual fit, order two sizes larger.

I normally wear a 40, or 41R. This G-1 size 42R fits me like a 38R.

G-1 jackets are challenging to wear and have the jacket "flatter" your frame. This Cockpit does it in spades. It actually makes me look pretty good, something that is not easy to do! My wife even says it looks good, so there ya go.

Have not worn this jacket yet, only tried on for fitting issues. But the more I try it on, feel the leather in my hands, intake the aroma of the tanned goatskin, I am sold on this Cockpit G-1.

Like I said, A-2's are easy to wear for most of us, G-1's more of a challenge. This one works. Period.

Last edited:

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks TX, I like a slim fit so will probably go with a 48 (normally a 46 Reg) if I go for a Cockpit G1. I would prefer an older used service issue jacket, but in a 48 I still have problems with the cut of the shoulders & finding a light weight Goat Skin jacket (not impressed with that pressed Cowhide stuff).

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
The tale of the tape, Cockpit G-1 42R. Note the extra long knit cuffs...

Shoulder to shoulder = 19"
Shoulder seam to end of knit cuff end (sleeve length) = 28"
Bottom of collar seam to bottom of waist band = 25"
P to P (Pit to Pit) = 23"
Inner sleeve from pit to cuff end = 20 1/2"
Waist Band width = 15"
Knitted cuffs = 4"

Scan.jpg

All measurements taken with jacket fully zipped, face down, spread flat on a table. Jacket was not stretched other than to make it totally flat.

Last edited:

firefight7382

New in Town
I was smiling as I read the information on sizing here. I'm considering the purchase of a new G-1 to replace an issued G-1 that just doesn't seem to have the quality I want. I too, wore 42L flightsuits and was issued a size 44 G-1. The year was 1993, and the supplier to the Marine Corps was "cooper sportswear". Seems as if the military cut in these jackets often warrants a size up. Thanks for all the info.

Marv

A-List Customer
I recently purchased a PHAAR brand DSCP issue G1 to which I was advised by the seller to go up a size to a 48" reg (I usually wear a 46" reg) to which I did and found the fit of the jacket perfect on the shoulder and body, however the problem is that by doing this you end up with the extra inch or two on the sleeve length as you are in fact wearing a size up from your usual size which in turn will give the tunnling effect at the cuffs which sometimes doesn't look great.

So it seems that this will always be a problem with the fit of new G1s if you are always advised to go up a size for a regular fit, I suppose if you order a size up in a short length you may be ok with the sleeves but the body will probably end up too short for your height.

There is the dilema, sacrifice the body fit for the sleeves or visa versa or jacket manufactures could just make to the jacket sizes correctly I guess.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
And therein lies the problem with sizing up. You get an inch more in length, both torso and sleeve. Plus you might get more room in the "gut".

If my US WIngs G-1 could have been ordered in a short size, it would have been perfect. That was not an option.

The Cockpit G-1 does not feel long in the sleeves or torso. Seems about right almost everywhere.

Really the only difference between the USW and Cockpit is the weight of the leather.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Well, truly I don't think that it's a matter of not being cut correctly or not being flattering. It just that it was cut for someone who is twenty or thirty and in reasonable shape.

My old G-1 fit great. When I started getting older and my shape changed, even while maintaining my Marine Corps weight standard, the G-1s started fitting a little snug in the shoulders and I had to size up when I traded jackets.

Unfortunately, the size large enough to fit my shoulders made it a little baggy in the waist and long in the arms. I had thought at first that it was the way the Pharr was cut. But even a size 46 '70s era G-1 that I picked up on the Bay fit the same.

Much as I dislike the fit, I can understand why places like G+B cut their jackets roomier nowadays. They aren't selling to Naval Aviators...they are selling to people who don't fit in a true mil spec G-1 any more than I still fit in my old dress blues. :)

Deacon

Marv

A-List Customer
Well, truly I don't think that it's a matter of not being cut correctly or not being flattering. It just that it was cut for someone who is twenty or thirty and in reasonable shape.

My old G-1 fit great. When I started getting older and my shape changed, even while maintaining my Marine Corps weight standard, the G-1s started fitting a little snug in the shoulders and I had to size up when I traded jackets.

Unfortunately, the size large enough to fit my shoulders made it a little baggy in the waist and long in the arms. I had thought at first that it was the way the Pharr was cut. But even a size 46 '70s era G-1 that I picked up on the Bay fit the same.

Much as I dislike the fit, I can understand why places like G+B cut their jackets roomier nowadays. They aren't selling to Naval Aviators...they are selling to people who don't fit in a true mil spec G-1 any more than I still fit in my old dress blues. :)

Deacon

I hear what you are saying Deac, however all my other G1s are a size 46" reg and they fit great in both the body and sleeves albeit they are repros - ELC G1, BK M422a which are both I'm guessing classed as a Mil-Spec fit.

Where as my original 1950's LW Foster Sportswear G1 is a 46" reg and it just fits great all over and I tend to use this jacket's measurements as a guide when looking to buy others whether it be repro or original issue.

So my question is, if Jacket manufactures can get the issued Mil-Spec sizing correct during the mid 1950s, why not now.

Deacon211

One Too Many
I have to admit that I always take phrases like "mil-spec" with a truckload of salt. I'm not sure I've ever seen a repro company NOT mention mil-spec...and we know that there is a pretty wide variance in how that's applied.

That's interesting about the LW Foster, though. I'd love to know the measurements compared to some of the other models out there.

I don't have an extremely wide range of experience with originals, but what I did have tended to support what I had said earlier.

-Original issue (Cooper maybe?) that had a nice military fit at size 44...when I had a nice military fit! ;)

-Second issue Pharr that was a bit snug in the shoulders when I had put on some O-5 pounds (actually only a few, but I think the weight distribution had changed) so I sized up to a 48 with the usual longish sleeves.

-'73 Imperial. Size 46. Again too tight in the shoulders so I had to sell it.

-Restored '41 W+G. Size 48 and actually roomier than the Pharr.

Of course my ELC G-1 has the best fit of all. But whose to say what jacket that was patterned off of and how closely.

Your LW seems to buck that trend. I read over on Moore's site, however, that G-1s and m-422s were actually cut differently than later model G-1s...422s more generously, 5514s more closely.

Perhaps you are exactly right that the 50's G-1s were actually proportioned differently than more modern jackets?

@the loco...that seems to be the consensus. My only 422 is the W+G and it is incredibly thick and nice leather. However the last owner said that it was the thickest leather he had ever seen on a 422 so maybe my opinion is skewed a bit.

Marv

A-List Customer
Eastman modelled their 55J14 G1 from and original LW Foster Sportswear 55J14 so maybe LW Foster just got the perfect pattern shape throughout their contracts for the Navy.

I think Roger Moore mentions on his site that the LW Foster G1s have a great fit with good size shoulders and a trimmer waist giving a comfortable athletic so maybe I got lucky with my jacket.

Having said that, I also have an original 1968 Martin Lane Co G1 which is labeled as a size 46" reg but fits like a size 44" reg to which it fits great on the shoulders, a little short on the sleeve and body length also a bit snug around the waist but still wearable but not where near the quality and condition of my LW Foster.

With sizing all over the place with issue jackets I don't pay too much attention to the label size just go off my measurement set and then I do have a good chance of getting a jacket that fits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy