Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Three piece suits

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Huh! Don't you start complaining. My school never had the luxury of air-conditioning! Even in the new buildings. In the classrooms of the original campus buildings (built in the 1910s/1920s), we put up with those enormous double-hung windows that came with the buildings. And those old double-hung windows are a challenge to open and shut. They're as old as the school buildings (nearly 100 years) and they jerk and rattle and bang and wobble around. Sometimes they stay open, sometimes they can slam shut without any warning at all. Sometimes you have to wrestle with them and shake them to get them open. Some of them won't open at all because the maintenance men were idiots and painted the windows incorrectly (you have to paint double-hung windows in a very specific way, otherwise the paint dries and jams the window-mechanism).

Those are the very windows thatve been in every school building Ive been in before this one. They open up nice and wide, even it if took some effort.

The windows here barely open, and the ones in the gym are three foot casements that are almost thirty feet in the air. Picture an 80+ degree day, a gymnasium full of active kids and teenagers all day, no AC, and no way to open those windows. I'll take the enormous double hung windows. And that cool pole we needed to open and close them. And the occasional 2x4 needed to keep them open when they wanted to slam shut. :)

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Like 3 piece suits - have 2 of them along with 2 DB suits.
I mean 3 piece suit is the most versatile - one can make it 2 piece or 3 piece depending on the weather.
I think dark 3-piece are very serious however my cream 3-piece is quite a piece of cake.
I target a bespoke 3 piece suit.

Am I the only one who loves the look of a three piece suit?
gerald_r-_ford_-_portrait.jpg

Personally, three piece suits, along with wide lapeled double drested suits, are my favorite kind of formal wear.

Also, does anyone see three piece suits returning to popularity anytime soon?

Three-piece (or as I say, vested) suits rule! :) You are far from the only person who love three-piece suits, Fedora Fan! :)

Bernie Zack

One of the Regulars
I don't know if they were ever "out" of style, but I am glad to see that many on-line men's retailers now offer an abundance of 3 piece vested suits. That wasn't the case 2 or 3 years ago.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Three piece suits will never go out of style. Fashion maybe, style, never. I look forward to when they return to fashion. And if that time isn't soon, then we need to do something.

It seems to me as to fashion and mens suits-
a style comes out
and then they play with it
then they put it away for a while like 20 years
then they pull it back out
and fiddle with it some more.

Recycling.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Bernie, there is a real difference between being stylish and fashionable. The terms are NOT interchangeable.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Sorry Bernie, but Tomasso is right. There is a vast (or at least, significant) difference between STYLE and FASHION.

Style is your own personal take on things and what you think you look good in.

Fashion is what other people think you look good in and it's their take on what people think.

Bernie Zack

One of the Regulars
There is also a vast difference between being serious and having some fun. My advice to you is, try to relax and not take yourselves too seriously.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Bernie, if in the future you plan to interject fun/nonsesnce into a serious thread please use the various emoticons at your disposal. ;):D:p etc......It makes a world of difference.

Three piece suits are cool. I've always wanted one. Maybe someone here can answer a question I've always had. Do they tend to make a man with a bit of a gut on him look thinner or thicker?

Bernie Zack

One of the Regulars
Bernie, if in the future you plan to interject fun/nonsesnce into a serious thread please use the various emoticons at your disposal. ;):D:p etc......It makes a world of difference.

I did. Have a look at my previous post where I began to interject some levity. Perhaps you missed it? ALL in good fun my friend.:fish:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner