Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thurston barathea braces and moths

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A quick jump to Google came up with a plethora of links...

And IMHO - "bumping" without waiting a few days to a week to give people a chance to respond - annoying - moreso after waiting less than two hours. Not everyone's sitting on their computer 24/7/365 waiting to answer questions or look at an item for sale. I realize waiting for the answer to a question or for an item to sell is a huge priority for the poster...but for almost anyone else...not so much. Just IMHO. :)

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I have braces in this material that are more than 50 years old that show no signs of 'mothing'. Is that sufficiently moth-proof for you?

Barathea is a type of weave, not a material, and is often woven from combined fabrics. The clothes moth tends to favour pure wool. I think you needn't worry.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Both, but I was refering to box cloth.

Marc Chevalier said:
Which material? The box cloth or the rayon barathea? Luckily, moths don't chew on rayon or nylon. Box cloth can be another matter ...

BruceTracy

One of the Regulars
Mike in Seattle said:
I searched barathea on Google and on wikipedia it mentioned that barathea may contain wool. That's why I posted this thread.

And IMHO - "bumping" without waiting a few days to a week to give people a chance to respond - annoying - moreso after waiting less than two hours. Not everyone's sitting on their computer 24/7/365 waiting to answer questions or look at an item for sale. I realize waiting for the answer to a question or for an item to sell is a huge priority for the poster...but for almost anyone else...not so much. Just IMHO. :)
Sorry. :eek: I'm just a little impatient. :eek: I'll try not to do that again.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
BruceTracy said:
I searched barathea on Google and on wikipedia it mentioned that barathea may contain wool. That's why I posted this thread.

Rest assured that those braces you like do not contain wool.

In contrast, wool barathea has a dull finish and a very, very slightly 'fuzzy' hand. It was commonly used in British tuxedos and evening tails before the 1980s.

BruceTracy

One of the Regulars
Thank you, everyone for your responses. On a more subjective note, what do think of the braces aesthetically? Do you like how they look? I like them because they seem very versatile. I think the dark grey color would coordinate easily with almost any color suit, tie, and shirt. I also think the white leather ends add a lot to their versatility in they allow the brace to be work with any color shoe. I have never worn braces before and so I was looking for a pair that I could wear with almost any suit/shirt/tie/shoes.

However, having never worn braces before, I don't want to buy an expensive pair in that it would be impractical for me presonally as well the fact that if I end up not liking wearing braces, I don't want to be out a lot of money. Therefore, I'm also looking to choose from one these for my first pair:
http://www.menswearhouse.com/webapp...wearCategory_-1_10601_10051_11655_10051_10673
Which of the pairs at this link would be the best for me to choose, considering both versatility and comfort?

BruceTracy

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
Choose the burgundy suspenders from that site. Burgundy matches with every color you can think of.

But what about the basket weave and polyester fabric? Would the white silk ones be a good or bad choice for my purposes? What about the black silk ones?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
The white silk ones are perfect for evening tails, but would look a bit jarring against a colored shirt. the black silk ones are just right for black tie, but somewhat severe with anything less formal than that.

Best bet for quality and versatility? Shop around the Internet and find the best price for a silk or rayon pair in burgundy. Don't worry about the color of the tabs, be they leather or braided rayon/nyon: either black, oxblood or brown will be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats