Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thurston Bros + Aero + TFL = Trouble

Witchtrip

One of the Regulars
Hey guys,
I swore to myself I was going hold off on this until next year, but I’m so damned pleased with my premier HWM, that I pulled the trigger on a Board Racer. The CXL FQHH HWM is heavy enough that it will probably be November/December before I can wear it. Soooo, I definitely needed a Vicenza Buco BR to get me through the fall. Aero seems to be having a renaissance right now (after an outrageous little dark age) and I want to be part of it! Ken and Holly and everyone there seem like utterly wonderful people and I want to give them as much business as possible (and Carrie & Wade, too!).

That said, I thought I’d post my fit jacket pics for your entertainment. I’ve got a t-shirt and the heaviest cardigan I would wear on as a test of layering/potential weight gain and it seems fine.

I’m adding 3/4” to the sleeve length and keeping the body length the same. At first I thought it was too snug and wanted to size up, but Carrie and Wade literally forbad me to. They said I couldn’t order it if I went larger because this is how this jacket is supposed to fit and this is the rare opportunity in which being scrawny works well! o_O:D

Actually we all agreed that unlike CXL (which molds to your shape), Vicenza will stretch and mold a bit more and this actually did relax in the hour or so I was wearing it and snapping pics. So I’m confident that it will break in perfectly.

I’m going with the Buco style in dark seal Vicenza with brass zips and ring pulls, 4 pockets, Buco collar, light tartan liner, sateen in sleeves. I’ll post celebration pics when it arrives. Now the awful wait...

Thanks for all of the excellent posts you guys have made, they’ve been a thoroughly horrible influence… WooHoo!

Cheers!

Aero_Board_Racer_1.jpg
Aero_Board_Racer_2.jpg

Last edited:

Witchtrip

One of the Regulars
Yes, the Vicenza is spectacular! Having a CXL FQHH and this will be a perfect duo. And I'm joking about Carrie and Wade forbidding me. We all knew it was a great fit, but I was thinking about it being future proof and gaining weight. I guess I'll just keep starving myself... ;)

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Beautiful jacket and perfect fit. One factor that I don't think is taken into consideration often enough is the effect of body heat on leather, particularly HH. I always find that a jacket loosens up nicely after about 10 minutes. This is why I don't think any determination about a particular kind of leather can be made from just a swatch.

Witchtrip

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I think 3/4" will be good. The sleeves are actually pretty tight and I don't want too much wrinkling making them seem tighter.

Witchtrip

One of the Regulars
3/4" added to the sleeves is not enough; You need to add 1" - that additional 1/4" will make all the difference in the world. :D
I didn't want to go too long, as they might interfere with my cat-burgling gloves. It's delicate work...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Joking aside, I concur that sizing up would give a "sack of potatoes" look. Maybe could add a smidgen to the body length but might just be the way you are wearing your jeans. In any case you appear to have everything pretty much nailed down.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Surely your cat burglar cloves are latex. If you put them on before the jacket you have solved that problem. :D
A cat burglar needs a cat suit to wear during business operations. That BR would ID the OP, and he would be caught before the sun set (or arose).

Agree about the sleeves I suppose but man I'd box that sucker up right away. If I had that jacket and it lingered, even a little, I'd be keeping it. It's a great fit overall. I think any longer in the body may spoil the proportions a bit. You're batting 1000 right now. Might want to consider a third while your at bat;)

Witchtrip

One of the Regulars
Thanks! All great comments and as you know, figuring out the "best" increment on sizing is a bit of a gamble and maddening. But yes, the cardigan is binding them up a touch - I'll post a pic without and you can see the normal length. FWIW, my HWM has 26.25" and they are perfect for that jacket. I ordered 26.75" on this one and am hoping they fit just so. Seriously, I don't want them too long as the sleeves are really tight when zipped and create a "bell" at the cuff where the zipper can't zip any more. I also don't want crazy bunching as that will make the sleeves tighter. I really am a cat burglar and very concerned with getting my work outfit correct! :D

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Agree about the sleeves I suppose but man I'd box that sucker up right away. If I had that jacket and it lingered, even a little, I'd be keeping it. It's a great fit overall. I think any longer in the body may spoil the proportions a bit. You're batting 1000 right now. Might want to consider a third while your at bat;)

Thats how I came to have my BR....it was a fit jacket for a sheene but it looked so good it stayed.

I'm living proof that TB+Aero+TFL=$$$=trouble

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ