Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Time for another "what book are you reading?" thread...

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
For me, right now, Walter Mosley, Walter Mosley and Walter Mosley. I am hooked on Easy Rawlins mysteries ever since seeing the (spectacular) neonoir, Devil in a Blue Dress.

Feraud

Bartender
I am reading Red Right Hand by J.T. Rogers. Has anyone read it?

Please tell me it gets better!! Every page is pure misery as it becomes apparently clearer who the killer is. The only reason I have not thrown this book out a window is because of the great reviews it has received. Should I continue this worthless read or not?

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I am reading Red Right Hand by J.T. Rogers. Has anyone read it?

Please tell me it gets better!! Every page is pure misery as it becomes apparently clearer who the killer is. The only reason I have not thrown this book out a window is because of the great reviews it has received. Should I continue this worthless read or not?

For ten cents you can listen to the song by Nick Cave and let that book fly. It's cheaper than a jukebox!

http://nick-cave-the-bad-seeds.timescenter.org/

Nora Charles

New in Town
mysterygal said:
I just started a new book last night called, 'Blow Fly' by Patricia Cornwell.

mysterygal she is my favorite author! Blow Fly is not one of her best, but good. Her best was one of her first - "Body Farm". The only problem with going backwards is most of the characters are the same so reading through the introduction to them in the beginning can be tiresome. :)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Nora Charles said:
mysterygal she is my favorite author! Blow Fly is not one of her best, but good. Her best was one of her first - "Body Farm". The only problem with going backwards is most of the characters are the same so reading through the introduction to them in the beginning can be tiresome. :)
This is the first book that I've read of hers and it's pretty good..does she write her books on one character, Scarpetta? After this one I'll probably just start with the first book since already a lot has gone on that seems important to the whole story line

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
Just finished Once Upon a Town: The Miracle of the North Platte Canteen, by Bob Greene. Very uplifting.

Getting ready to start Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln, by Doris Kearns Goodwin.

I have been going back through my old collection (originally my mother's) of Trixie Belden books from my childhood and re-reading some of those.

Etienne

A-List Customer
Feraud, I read Band of Brothers, bought the whole set of DVD's and then went to Normandy with my husband. What a remarkable thing to stand on those shores, to see the actual bunkers, to look at the rows and rows and rows of grave markers, to visit the humble war museum, to walk through the hedgerows. I will never forget it as long as I live.

Rosie

One Too Many
I just finished reading Fledgling by Octavia Butler and The End of Blackness by Debra Dickerson. Today, I started Cell by Stephen King a little break after reading such a political book.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Real Nick and Nora

I'm currently reading The Real Nick and Nora: Frances Goodrich and Albert Hackett, Writers of Stage and Screen Classics by David Lee Goodrich, plus The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett. I thought I'd read the latter to see how it compares to the film (so far, pretty well) but the former is a great read, so I'm taking it a little slowly and savoring it. Married for over 50 years, Goodrich & Hackett started off in theatre (acting & writing) in NY and came to Hollywood and lucked into jobs as screenwriters. Besides the first three of the Thin Man series (which most agree are the best), they also wrote or worked on such other classics as Naughty Marrietta, Ah Wilderness, Rose Marie, Father of the Bride, Father's Little Dividend, Lady in the Dark, In the Good Old Summertime, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Easter Parade, Long Long Trailer, It's a Wonderful Life among others, and as their final major project, something completely different from their other works, the play and screenplay for Diary of Anne Frank. They knew and were well-loved by practically everyone in Hollywood, theatre plus most of the great writers of the age - Spencer Tracy, James Cagney, Faulkner, Hemmingway, Dorothy Parker, Lauren Bacall, Bogart, Lillian Hellman, Dashiell Hammett, Perelman - a veritable who's-who of stage, screen & writing. Hardly a page goes by without some great story or anecdote and for me, at least, one heretofore unheard Dorothy Parker story involving a lesbian love triangle, a notoriously grizzly murder and a suitcase that I can't repeat her nor in polite company that had me roaring with laughter until I cried. Truly a great story of the Golden Age - the real characters of the time (Hemingway, Hammett, Hellman, Faulkner, Bogart, Judy Garland & so forth, not to mention Frances & Albert) as well as some of the great fictional characters (Nick and Nora, George Banks, George Bailey) moving from Manhattan to Hollywood to the Riviera - and I'm only about 1/4-1/3 of the way through the book. It's written by their nephew, who had access to lots of their papers as well knew many of the living celebrities. I highly recommend it. :eusa_clap lol :eusa_clap

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Hammett's The Thin Man is one of my favorite books. I actually laugh out loud more often reading the book than watching the movie. (Don't get me wrong, I love the movies. That's how great the book is.)

Barry

Practically Family
I am reading and re-reading some short stories in Thom Jones' "Sonny Liston Was a Friend of Mine."

Barry

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Jack Scorpion said:
Hammett's The Thin Man is one of my favorite books. I actually laugh out loud more often reading the book than watching the movie. (Don't get me wrong, I love the movies. That's how great the book is.)

Just received my first edition of The Thin Man. (First book edition, not the condensed version published in the December 1933 edition of Redbook magazine.)

I read it some years ago with my wife (library copy - the book, that is, not the wife), but I had forgotten that Asta is a bitch, not a male dog.

I first saw the movie, and though I liked it very much, I was sure the book must be completely different - not such a comedy. I mean, it's the author of The Maltese Falcon after all. Then I read the Thin Man book and was disabused.

CWetherby

One of the Regulars
VintageJess said:
Just finished Once Upon a Town: The Miracle of the North Platte Canteen, by Bob Greene. Very uplifting.

Getting ready to start Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln, by Doris Kearns Goodwin.

I have been going back through my old collection (originally my mother's) of Trixie Belden books from my childhood and re-reading some of those.

I read "Once Upon a Town" twice, it was THAT good!!

It made me wonder what other stories are out there that have not been told...

CW

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I am reading and re-reading some short stories in Thom Jones' "Sonny Liston Was a Friend of Mine."

Jones is/was a fantastic writer. His first collection and the title story, The Pugilist at Rest, are truly magnificent works. But he's all but disappeared since Sonny Liston... came out. What's going on?

On a side note, the next avatar I have in my queue IS Sonny Liston. Wow, huh?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21