Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Time Marches On: Except in the Field of Cosmetic Surgery

Sharpsburg

One of the Regulars
It's more than just plastic surgery. The airbrushing on mag covers has gotten totally outrageous! I saw a cover with Gabrielle Union, a truly beautiful young woman, and she had been brushed so much i could barely recognize her. We seem to be seeking perfection so much that we have reached inhuman proportions. While women have become even more powerful in Hollywood, it just reinforces our unrealistic expectations for everyone. We can't get fat, we can't get old, and we must be eternally young and beautiful. We really haven't come a long way, baby!

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
This is something I've never been able to wrap my mind around. There are obviously some very good cosmetic surgeons, especially in Hollywood. So why do these well-known (and presumably rich) actors and actresses not go to the best? I remember Melanie Griffith getting "work" done years ago, and everyone cringed when they saw the results. Same with Meg Ryan and Burt Reynolds. I keep thinking that the "good" surgeons tell them what's possible, and what the recovery time will be- and they don't like the answer. Then they go to the hack who tells them what they want to hear.

I can't criticize too much; I'm losing some weight and might want a "bit" done when I hit my goal, but it certainly isn't something I'll do without many a consultation.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
... but for every Demi Moore, there are too many Bogdanoff brothers (age 62):

bogdanoff-brothers.jpg

Last edited:

Flicka

One Too Many
It's just what "they" do. Honestly, I don't know anyone in L.A. that hasn't had work done and in fact all the women in my family have. My aunt has had 8 face lifts and she's 75. I'm seriously the last hold out.

We clearly don't know the same people in LA... But then I mostly know guys in obscure bands who look like they're homeless. :)

I honestly only know one person who did anything and that was Botox (and she's in Arizona). Personally (and that's me, coming from a family consisting of doctors) I don't see how anyone would put themselves through the risks of surgery unless they had to. Surgery isn't risk-free. But if you do then I do wonder why you want to look like a goldfish.

Last edited:

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
We clearly don't know the same people in LA... But then I mostly know guys in obscure bands who look like they're homeless. :)

I honestly only know one person who did anything and that was Botox (and she's in Arizona). Personally (and that's me, coming from a family consisting of doctors) I don't see how anyone would put themselves through the risks of surgery unless they had to. Surgery isn't risk-free. But if you do then I do wonder why you want to look like a goldfish.

I think good plastic surgery depends on a lot of things - first and foremost has to be a good Dr., then the amount you have done but I also think the kind of face you have will either work well with surgery or not.

Fillers and botox are seen as good short term solutions for some but I think if one area of your face is treated it has a knock-on effect to another part of your face - your face won't "fall" properly after a time. I know one lady who is just 60 and she gets Botox just in her forehead and I would never have known unless she told me - she's lucky it works for her (as she's not doing her whole face) but I think you can spot overuse of fillers and Botox a mile off (yes, you Simon Cowell)......

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I don't understand much of elective cosmetic surgery- at least not to the extent these stars do it. I do see a bright side in all the stars getting themselves plastified. All the money pumped into the industry has developed techniques that have helped those who are getting reconstructive surgery.

I think that aging is beautiful and sexy. I'm sad to see that "youth" is valued over talent.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I have only seen a few women close up who have had this kind of surgery, but I have to say in the flesh it is mesmerising. I spent the whole time staring at their surgery, it just looks so very obvious and wrong in real life.

It works quite well with Demi Moore because she just looks like a slightly plasiticised version of herself and not a weird Barbie doll version of a woman. It's the difference between recapturing your youth and reinventing yourself as a completely different person altogether.

Last edited:

JohnnyLoco

Familiar Face
There seems to be some race of "plastic people," an evolutionary offshoot of the human species, that has developed in LA. They are slowly migrating to major cities in the United States.

But seriously, I live in the Texas Hill Country, where the grisly old cowboy face, like nicely aged horsehide, is the desired norm. Drinking, smoking, and hard living and loving expedites this process.

JohnnyLoco

Familiar Face
Famous faces that hopefully will never go under the knife.

Nick Nolte
Jeff Bridges
Tommy Lee Jones
Willie Nelson
Clint Eastwood

Please feel free to add some famous women who have certainly never had PS. I just can't think of anybody off the top of my head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy