Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tinman

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
I read The Wizard of Oz a couple of years ago. The book was decidedly anti-religion. Thankfully, film versions have tended to ignore that element.

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Open Road

No, I was wearing an Open Road :D :D :D
pict0002jk9.jpg

TINMANZZZ

carter

I'll Lock Up
I was really looking forward to the Tinman miniseries. Unfortunately, it doesn't live up to it's promise so far.
The writing is a bit too obvious, even for kids. How many times will someone ask Caine to, "Have a heart"?
Character development is shallow and back stories are too thinly developed.
The entire first episode seemed, well ...episodic. It bounced from place to place without smooth transitions.
Hopefully, future episodes will improve. We'll find out this evening.
I'd rate the 1st episode a C.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
I have to say...I'm really enjoying it so far. Sure, it's cheesy and dramatic, but it's so much fun to watch for set design alone. I may get bored with the next episode, though, a little less entranced with the workings of the OZ and more focused on the acting, which was less than desirable (especially Richard Dreyfuss--who's idea was that?).

pretty faythe

One Too Many
It's a sci-fi channel movie mini series, of course its cheesy and dramatic... lol that's what I love about sci-fi movies. I'm lovin' it. I'm a sci-fi geek freak! And am loving Alan Cumming in it!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Thing's are looking up.

The second episode was much better. I also like the fact that they are showing the preceding episode immediately before each new episode. Looks like I'm in for the duration.

Dr Trinidad

One of the Regulars
The acting is not exactly stellar but it is entertaining. I like the part were tin man stole the guards uniform but continued to were his own hat! My kind of guy!
Still would like any additional info on the Akubra he is wearing.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I only saw the first night (I taped the second - the Heroes finale took precedence!), but found it to be the usual Halmi-produced schlock. Just marginally interesting enough to hold my attention... The thing I actually find most interesting about it is that it takes The Wizard of Oz story in a Star Wars direction... and of course, Star Wars itself is essentially a structural transformation of the The Wizard of Oz!

Anyway, the hat looks to me like an Akubra Snowy River that's had its brim flattened. Even the band appears to be a familiar Akubra style.

Re anti-religious messages in Wizard, read or see Wicked for a far more full-blown and vehement anti-authority/dogma approach. (Personally, I prefer the more balanced story in the musical, which adds some lighter material. The novel is much more disturbing and depressing.)

Havana

One of the Regulars
That hat is definitely an Akubra Snowy River. There is a brief shot where you get to see the Akubra liner. The hat even uses the standard Akubra band with the Akubra name plate taken off. There's a couple of close ups that show this clearly. As for the quality of the program, you have to remember that the total budget for all six hours was probably less than what was spent for costumes on the last Spiderman movie. This is such great subject matter. I wish they could have done so much more but I have to give them credit considering what they had to work with. As a side note, I'm constantly amazed at the brilliance of the 1939 film everytime I see it. I never get tired of it and never get tired of hearing my mother insist that they ruined it when they colorized it! I can not convince her that the Oz sequences were originally filmed in color.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm really enjoying the series so far. Only thing that's weird is that it's at a late hour, but seems sort of "for both kids and adults". But I like it.

Also really like Azcadlia's (sp?) corsetry! I want.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Akubra Snowy River. Tight pinch at the front with the brim relaxed so the sides are not as high. The band is pretty much standard. Buy one, wear it for a year, and it will look like this.
Johnny

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Snowy River was my first thought too ... a low, wide, preshaped crown with a good sized brim ... only my Snowy River was a different band. Definitely Akubra, though.

As for the series ... typical sci-fi, but still sort of fun.
Anyone think they will bring in the original movie's storyline? I keep expecting the obvious ... DG's mom is the original movie's Dorothy Gale in a silly tie in.

Dr Trinidad

One of the Regulars
Watched the last of it tonight not terrible but could be inproved upon. all in all pretty entertaining. Guess I will have to look at getting a snowy river looked like a great lid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt