Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tips for tying a tie when paired with detachable collar?

Freescholar

New in Town
I've recently taken to wearing fold down detachable collars with my day suits. I love the look of them as they always look much
crisper than the stitched in variety. However, I have also found it much more difficult to tie my ties with these collars because they
do not slide easily (if at all) underneath the fold, which leads to my tie knot finishing off center. Does anybody out there have tips as to
how to avoid this happening?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
There's a reason clip on ties were so popular up until the 1920s. They attached to the front of the collar stud.
Ties from that period generally had thinner fabric, and minimal (or no) lining.

164956_441391762604739_1258060303_n.jpg

Last edited:

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Personally, I 've found no easy answer to this. My only technique is to choose a thinner tie and to thread it around the collar, being careful to ensure that the wide end is pulled through to the correct extent, to minimise the amount of adjusting needed. Then I tie the tie as arranged, pulling the knot from side to side until I am satisfied with the result.

Hap Hapablap

One of the Regulars
I have found that the only real solution is to wear ties of the period: unlined or minimally-lined. Of course all of my suits have super high-waisted pants, which coincide well with the length of the aforementioned tie style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats