Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To Dye or Not?

SpatzKat

New in Town
Good evening everyone,

I was curious to see if anyone has had any experience with dying a trench coat? A few years ago I purchased a black, 40 Poly/ 60 Cotton trench coat that has since lost a good bit of luster. The edges of the pockets are beginning to gray a bit as well as the collar. I was wondering if applying black dye to the coat would help improve its looks any? My thanks for any help that may be available.

Spatzkat

Mike K.

One Too Many
Given the polyester content of the coat, you are going to have trouble with the dye actually taking. It will work fine with the cotton fibers. I have dyed mixed cotton/poly clothing before and I think you'll be okay for the touch-up work you indicated. For the best results try this (wear old clothes when working):
- use a bathtub (can clean it later), fill with very hot water preferably near-boiling (you might have to add a few boiled pots from the stove)
- thoroughly soak your coat, leave no dry areas, otherwise you'll end up with a tie-dye effect
- remove coat temporarily
- add 4 packets/bottles of RIT Black dye to the hot water and mix well (use old rubber gloves or a sturdy stick), careful with the powder stuff because it tends to drift everywhere
- add your coat to the dye mix and "agitate" by stirring, hand mixing, etc. in order to evenly saturate the coat with dye
- soak for 1-2 hours, periodically mixing/stirring everything to maintain even saturation
- drain and rinse until the run-off from coat is nearly clear
- toss the coat into the dryer on high heat to help set the dye
- run through complete laundry cycle (no soap) and dry again
- done, maybe add a little spray-on Scotchguard for waterproofing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner