Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To Feather or Not to Feather?

...I'm surprised that most members in this thread seem not to like how feathers look on hats. I'm wondering if those who don't like feathers on hats are possibly thinking of a sub-par variety of feathers? Are we all talking about peacock feathers specifically? Maybe feathers from other birds don't look as good?
I can't speak for the other members, but for me it's purely an aesthetic choice; I just don't like the way they look regardless of quality.

-30-

A-List Customer
They generally fall-out on their own.

"Baby", a Blue & Gold Macaw, and I, birds always being The Boss, lived together for 23 years,
so that a possible supply of feathers remains within my bookcase. No, I didn't keep a collection
of her eggs, if you ever break an old egg that has not totally dried-out, the Aroma is something
to behold.
(And I still don't like a Feather in My Hat.)

Regards,
J T

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
They generally fall-out on their own.

"Baby", a Blue & Gold Macaw, and I, birds always being The Boss, lived together for 23 years,
so that a possible supply of feathers remains within my bookcase. No, I didn't keep a collection
of her eggs, if you ever break an old egg that has not totally dried-out, the Aroma is something
to behold.
(And I still don't like a Feather in My Hat.)

Regards,
J T
Generally...

-30-

A-List Customer
Allow me to add - Unless they pull them out by themselves.
A move that was rare, unless it was a "Time To Go" action.
(She never was a "picker".)

Regards,
J T

Last edited:

skydog757

A-List Customer
I don't care for feathers in any of my hats, but I could understand if someone wanted to add some color to an all black hat, preferably something that complemented their tie/shirt color. SOMEBODY must like them as many new hats come with a feather already in place.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I don't care for them either but it's easier to have one from the factory and remove it than it is to not have one and then have to try and find a replacement.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I took the feather that came on my Stetson Temple and put it on my Latte Milan weave. I wear that hat a lot.
Feather in my Latte Milan. One of the few.
20150911_125811-1.jpg

foamy

A-List Customer

The feathers sure look well on the hats above and on Bob's. I guess it has something to do with the feather itself. Some hats and some feathers, work together. I haven't had that experience yet. I do believe that the straw and feather thing has some merit. Hmm. We'll see.

Edit: the wood chip look'in feather in the above post is an interesting alternative. What hat is that? I kinda like it.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Embelishing on my post #39 in this thread:

Repeat pic below -

IMG_7855-M.jpg

We all have choice. IMO, no absolutes. For me, I see this conversation as defining a point on the feather/no feather continuum. A feather attracts the eye. (Birds colorful feathers do exactly that.) A hat can be better featured with a feather. I propose that possibility does exist. The feather (s) can dominate (pirate hat with big plume), contribute ( like the pic above) or be understated (same color feather as the felt). We have choice. I enjoy choice as a way for me to try out my style.

In my original post I hinted that feathers above the ribbon work best with mid- sized ribbon for me. I like the look of the gray-blue hat above. The same hat in silver belly - (same feather) NO. I would be curious to try different colored small feathers, but have not pursued it. Yet.

I hope I have contributed to the feather-no feather conversation. It is fun to read and look at the choices we all make.

Best, Eric -

Paul Trumbull

Familiar Face
Embelishing on my post #39 in this thread:

Repeat pic below -

IMG_7855-M.jpg

We all have choice. IMO, no absolutes. For me, I see this conversation as defining a point on the feather/no feather continuum. A feather attracts the eye. (Birds colorful feathers do exactly that.) A hat can be better featured with a feather. I propose that possibility does exist. The feather (s) can dominate (pirate hat with big plume), contribute ( like the pic above) or be understated (same color feather as the felt). We have choice. I enjoy choice as a way for me to try out my style.

In my original post I hinted that feathers above the ribbon work best with mid- sized ribbon for me. I like the look of the gray-blue hat above. The same hat in silver belly - (same feather) NO. I would be curious to try different colored small feathers, but have not pursued it. Yet.

I hope I have contributed to the feather-no feather conversation. It is fun to read and look at the choices we all make.

Best, Eric -

Can you please tell me what kind of hat those are? They're both gorgeous....and I would love to find that in the silverbelly. Thank you!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
The feathers sure look well on the hats above and on Bob's. I guess it has something to do with the feather itself. Some hats and some feathers, work together. I haven't had that experience yet. I do believe that the straw and feather thing has some merit. Hmm. We'll see.

Edit: the wood chip look'in feather in the above post is an interesting alternative. What hat is that? I kinda like it.
Thx Foamy. Sorta a tropical/summer effect is maybe why the feather works with a summer straw?

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Can you please tell me what kind of hat those are? They're both gorgeous....and I would love to find that in the silverbelly. Thank you!

Paul; They are both vintage Lee fedoras from the 50's. The silver belly is a Lee Adventurer.

I don't believe in hard rules for anything, there are always exceptions where a feather adds or distracts from a hat. Here are just a few of my feathered friends

Mike you have good taste and I admire your eye. Nice post sir.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner