Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To MK

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I support MK's position. One of the main reasons is that I have yet to see anyone's political stance shifted by exchange of postings on a forum. Instead, the threads tend to become endless attempts to explain ones' position and to shift the position of others, but in most cases this results in simply talking past each other.

I have taken part in such debates and tried to present factual, reasoned positions - but as I noted above, to no effect.

Better to allow us to enjoy each others' virtual company without engaging in debates that serve only to emphasize our differences rather than our common interests. After all, common interests - not differences - are why we are here.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Fletch said:
This is a group of strong individualists with strong feelings and beliefs. Some of it, somewhere, is going to surface.

Well I certainly hope so. I wouldn't want to think we were a bunch of wishy-washy, milk-toast air-heads.;)

I wouldn't worry if I were you. Can you name a board this size that is more civil? Considering how many members we have, I think we do quite well.

melankomas

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
...and there's still some acrimony here and there. Is it possible that politics has just gone undercover? Been channeled into views on religion, culture, society?

And what do we think of that? This is a group of strong individualists with strong feelings and beliefs. Some of it, somewhere, is going to surface.

i imagine that part of examining the lifestyle of another era is comparing elements of that era to our own. that would include religion, culture, and society, would not it? or should that be would it not? either way, i think comparing and contrasting trends and conventions in these areas must be as valid and entertaining as the same in the areas of the length of men's ties, the migration of women's hemlines, and the air-speed velocities of swallows.

i was not present before politics were banned outright, but i can see the motivation. well done.

Mindraker

Familiar Face
I have to commend the members of this board for the quality of their posts. Nowhere else have I seen the proper use of adverbs, complete sentences, proper spelling, the lack of 1337, etc. The civility here is also admirable. -If- political discussions were to be allowed, then perhaps a separate section should be created for it -- a "political subforum" so to speak -- to isolate it. Otherwise, I support the ban.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It is quite amazing, as MK stated, that a board of this size can remain so civil. I think the ban on politics was good. The discussions, as they were, weren't discussions that were actually changing anyone's mind. They were just very long rants or arguments. If it were possible to have civilized political discussions, I'm sure they would have been welcome here. But, they just ended up getting out of control, and for a while, the tone of some area's of the lounge was turning negative. We are a group of civilized and respectful individuals. The political banter was infringing on that civility.
I'm glad to see that overall the ban was taken so well, just another example of the civility of the members of the board.

Daisy Buchanan

Senator Jack said:
Yes, but it's a bit like finding out that the new neighbors you've been hanging around with for the past week are swingers. Ummm...no thank you very much please. Now you can stay on your side of the fence.

Regards,

Senator Jack
Your neighbors name wouldn't happen to be Tammy, would it???? I knew you knew her from somewhere!

Dixon Cannon

I agree with this diagreement...

Katt in Hat said:
We, who are regulars here, know each other in so very many ways far removed from our social and political outlooks and views.

I garner nothing of real value posting on a site where I'm unknown and have no inkling of what the other posters are about.

An important election is a month away. Issues abound.

I am in total disagreement with the decision to ban political discussion on this site.

People are, by nature, multi-dimensional. Some people are passionate about hats - some like collecting thimbles. Some others collect thimbles, hats and political wisdom. I for one love a good political debate and thrive on the differences of opinion and wisdom that surfaces. I miss having a forum for discussions of political philosophy and economy and the passion that ensues.

But, gosh darn it, the tan of my Borsalino is tanner than the tan of your Stratoliner and I dare anybody to say different or you'll get a good piece of my mind! So put that in your pipe and smoke it, you, you - you!

-dixon cannon

lavendar lady

New in Town
Thank You

Thank you for your wisdom and insight.We need it in todays ways of thinking.Thanks for your hard work to keep this place clean,fresh,enjoyable.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

L.L.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Jack, I think you misspoke...

Senator Jack said:
Yes, but it's a bit like finding out that the new neighbors you've been hanging around with for the past week are swingers. Ummm...no thank you very much please. Now you can stay on your side of the [fence] bed?

Regards,

Senator Jack

Your friend, Col. Z. :p

DocBob345

Familiar Face

I realize that I'm posting late in the thread here, but I also support whole-heartedly the ban on political debate in the Lounge. Well done, MK, I'm very glad that there is no bending on this issue.

Politics invades our lives day in and day out, through radio spots, TV news, the newspapers, bumper stickers and most any website one were to visit. Don't we all enjoy coming here for respite, to learn, share, discuss and laugh with each other as we enjoy our COMMON interests?

After all, it is our one common interest that brings us all here. Outside this wonderful virtual lounge we can be divided by many different fronts. But here we can be together, comfortable and enjoy something we all cherish - the grandeur of the Golden Era.

Best,
Robert

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner