Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To suit or not to suit?

Brimster

New in Town
Dear Loungers,

I would appreciate you opinion on a matter that I am still undecided on after several months. I live and work in Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates. In my humble opinion there are only 2 seasons in the country, hot and hotter. Because of the climate everywhere is air conditioning and men generally dress in wool suits for work (including all the British expats) or traditional Arabic attire (free flowing kandoura usually in white with a white gutra to protect their heads from the sun). When I went out there for work at the beginning of the year I took two navy cotton suits with me (I was only meant to be there for 3 months), and three linen jackets and trousers in various light shades of olive, beige and sand; and it is these that I have generally tended to wear rather than the suits as they are in much lighter colours and thus absorb less heat. My Emirati clients have commented on how smart I look in my linen jackets, shirts and trousers and knitted silk ties topped with a Montecristi panama or Akubra hat; and how silly they think it is that despite the hot weather most Westerners decide to wear dark coloured wool suits.

Given that the wool suits seem to be the norm for business attire should I be following suit (excuse the pun) or continue with my personal, functional and practical style of dress? I have just placed an order for two linen suits in different shades of navy, but I am now wondering whether I should return them once they arrive given the dark colours. i purchased them from Pakeman Catto and Carter and they are all sold out of light coloured linen suits in my size, so I also just placed an order for a light brown linen herringbone jacket and sage linen trousers. Cordings are also sold out of light coloured suits in my size. Personally I think the mix and match linen looks nicer, very The Sheltering Sky or Out of Africa, but if my contract were to end I wouldn't get much more wear out of them in the UK, where as I could comfortably wear the navy linen suits in the UK to work during the warmer months of the year and comparatively it never really gets very hot here so I wouldn't worry about the dark colours.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
If your current look seems to be working for you and your clients seem to like it, then why not carry on? I might suggest adding a suit or two for more formal meetings, especially evening functions where the sun is down and things are cooling off a bit. I don't know what your budget is, but some of the custom clothiers who advertise on this forum offer tailored suits at very reasonable prices, in whatever fabric and color you choose.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
You said;

'Because of the climate everywhere is air conditioning and men generally dress in wool suits for work (including all the British expats)'

But I can't help but think you should have said;

'Because they haven't got a clue how to dress in a different climate, since thier knowledge of style is limited to what they saw on a daily basis in thier office back home'.

Wool suits in the UAE? For real, those guys might have money, but no sense or style. Never heard of silk, at least? And I would be wearing linen suits, in pale colors, with blue cotton shirts, no tie but a cravat instead, and a panama.

Metatron

One Too Many
Agreed.
I fully stand behind a requirement for smart clothing, after all it is like a uniform in that you embody the job when you put it on,
but I don't think anyone should have to endure undue discomfort because of this.
By all means if you can get away with being sensible in your choice of clothing, keep doing it.
The choice of color is your call, in my opinion a dark linen suit strikes a happy balance between professionalism and comfort?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
To suit or not to suit,
That is the question,
Whether 'tis nobler,
In the mind to suffer,
The Slings and Arrows,
Of Outrageous Fashion...

I'm very familiar with hot climates. And I couldn't possibly imagine wearing a wool suit in such a situation. I agree with the suggestions for linen, cotton or silk. Something lighter and more breathable. You don't want to show up at the office in a suit that's drenched in sweat. Not classy.

Brimster

New in Town
Thank you all for your comments. I have decided to wear linen navy suits when i am meeting clients and keep the lighter mix and matched linen clothing for casual occasions or when I know I won't be meeting any clients.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
What about a light or mid grey linen suit? Light grey is a lot more "professional" than beige or pastel colours but practical in warm climates. Also more wearable on warm days in the UK.

cpdv

One of the Regulars
IMO, linen, cotton and silk. Just do as men used to and wear the lighter fabrics and colors in warmer climates. I live in Maine and I still break out linen and cotton I. The summer. If I were I. Your position. I'm afraid I would end up looking like a British colonist with more optima panamas than I could count...in different colors of course.

Claudio

Vendor
Silk maybe too formal because fo the shine, and usually isnt all that ligthweight and breathable compared to linen. As already stated continue with linen, maybe linen silk mix. I do not find cotton being too comfortable in hot climes to be honest. Also like the suggestion to maybe keep fresco wool for the more formal occasions. We Italians are masters of lightweight wools and if your suits are very lightly constructed (minimal padding, half lined or no line etc) lightweight wool isnt too bad, considering you spend most of your day in the aircon. Surely more formal than linen when needed.
After all, don't the beduins wear wool to combat the heat, just like drinking hot tea to keep fresh?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran