Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To throat latch, or not to throat latch?

Sockeye

One of the Regulars
Any thoughts on throat latches? Behind collar or at top of zip? Buttons or poppers? Style or true function (do you actually use it?).

The throat latch was a feature I definitely was attracted to (and ordered) when I had my jacket made. A year later, while I feel it makes my jacket unique, I could easily live without one.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
If you live in a cold or windy place, the under the collar throat latch is a useful feature. There's a reason it was a staple on jackets and coats for decades.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
IMHO, unnecessary material unless you reside in a particularly harsh climate AND are inclined to wear the jacket in particularly harsh weather -- I personally do not reside in such a locale and, when I travel to harsh climates, I prefer other jackets to leather (e.g., a N-1).

stratcat

One of the Regulars
Today it was blowing a gale and with sideways rain, I used the button throat-latch on my trench.
I definitely needed it!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I agree they can be extremely useful, but unfortunately many are poorly shaped or placed. I think with leather jackets one has to be careful that the latch isn't too thick when stowed or it won't allow the collar to rest properly.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
I have always been so tempted to order a leather jacket with one, but always opt out in the end. My thought always comes back to me getting sick of it.

AdeeC

Practically Family
I like the look of throat latches on jackets and have few with them. But with my thick neck it can be uncomfortable and it doesn't get cold enough where I live to make regular use of them.

I've only used them while in really cold places. When in Europe (UK, Scotland, Normandy) in 2011, I used them with scarves. Glad I had them at the time. Otherwise, no...

Edward

Bartender
I have always been so tempted to order a leather jacket with one, but always opt out in the end. My thought always comes back to me getting sick of it.

I ordered one on my Aero Bootlegger back when. I've never used it, but I like it as a detail. For the most part, I'd consider them cosmetic as my leathers are typically worn at times of year when it's not that big a deal. That said, I've used the ones on my B3 and Irvin in Beijing in December, when the cold would take your head off out there, and my ears thanked me, even beneath a scarf.

I think they make more practical sense on a leather jacket which has a mouton collar like a G1... as much as anything to keep the mouton up against the neck and away from the wet if it rains.

I would consider one again as a feature on a jacket, but reall not something I'd use enough for it to be all that important if it's not an option.

GraceNote13

One of the Regulars
My latest 1930's HB was ordered without the latch, on my previous HB it prevented me from forming the collar well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21