Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Today I am a "Ma'am"

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
mary-and-rhoda12.jpg

"...And this kid - well, he wasn't even a kid, he was 21 or 22 years old - calls me Ma'am. Ma'am!"

Ladies, when did you get your first "Ma'am"? I've been getting it left, right, and centre lately, from service people, teenagers, and men of all ages.

I'm not old enough to be called Ma'am! I don't think I look old enough to be called Ma'am :( I know people are probably just trying to be polite, but I'd honestly prefer "lady" to Ma'am. (By "old enough," I mean sweet old lady with white hair.)

My non vintage girlfriends cannot sympathize. They think my look commands such "respect." But it makes me feel old!

Thoughts?

~Psycho Sue~

One of the Regulars
My husband got called Ma'am by a guy at work who was looking at his head from behind (hubby has sitting down at his desk in his cube).............................................he is cutting his hair off on Friday! It is past his shoulders....LOLOL

I don't feel old if it happens. it kinda makes me feel like a lux, rich Hollywood actress who commands attention and respect. It does happen no matter what. It's ok honey!

"Yes and AVERT YOUR EYES TOO!"

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
I totally know what you mean, however, I know a lot of people refer to any female adult as ma'am and any male adult as sir. I think Miss sounds nice, but I don't have a preference for that distinction.

I had a job where I talked to a lot of military people and a lot of people from the South. Speaking to them for so long got me in the habit of using sir and ma'am consistently as well. I agree with your friends, they're just being respectful. I would never think to refer to a woman as "lady."

Lenore

Practically Family
Being in the south, I take it with a grain of salt. I've been called ma'am since I was 18. More often now than I had been called before, it's usually with a tone of respect as opposed to the underlying tone of "my god, you're old."

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Lenore said:
Being in the south, I take it with a grain of salt. I've been called ma'am since I was 18. More often now than I had been called before, it's usually with a tone of respect as opposed to the underlying tone of "my god, you're old."

You're right. I visited Savannah, Georgia for a few days last summer. I found the place beautiful and the people extremely polite. They called just about everyone Sir and Ma'am lol A charming part of the culture.
Northern culture usually yields Ma'am to old people, so it's tough to hear the first few times!

Audrey Horne said:
I would never think to refer to a woman as "lady."

I save that for my FMIL ;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
What's wrong with being old?

I guess I was about 12 when someone called me ma'am. At 14 I was mistaken for a teacher. I was born old. To me, ma'am is just a term of respect.

Isn't "Excuse me, ma'am" is better than "Hey, lady" or "Hey, you"?

Bettie Booh

Familiar Face
I haven't got ma'am yet, but no doubt it'll come, later. I do get to hear Mrs a lot, which to me feels older than I am, I still feel like a Miss. ;)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I'm gotten Ma'am a few times. I was called "Miss" by the lady who sold me tickets at Disneyland last month and was taken aback for a second. Ha. I don't know why, but I always think of it as a title for younger girls and young women, even though it's not. Too many historic dramas for me, I guess. heh.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
The first time I got called ma'am was when I was 18 and moved from a more Northern town to a Southern town. I was also told, during sales job training at that time, to call every customer "ma'am" or "sir" unless it's a kid with his/her mom in attendance. Even unaccompanied teens were called "ma'am" or "sir". I was told this specifically because "your people aren't from here".

Brooksie

One Too Many
I don't exactly remember the first time somebody called me Ma'am but I know it kind of threw me off a bit. Fairly recently I knew of a guy who would call me young lady even though I was probably about 10 years older than him, I did not ever know if he was just being nice or if he thought I was younger then what I really was.[huh]

Brooksie

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Paisley said:
Isn't "Excuse me, ma'am" is better than "Hey, lady" or "Hey, you"?

I suppose! I'm used to those, though. lol

"Miss" is my preferred nomenclature. "Young lady" is okay with me. People who know me usually start calling me C-dot, my last name shortened.

Maybe I should change it to Ma'am and get it over with.

Brooksie

One Too Many
For me to be called young lady is kind of amusing especially by somebody younger than me because I am 41...usually the only people that call me young lady are 70 and 80 year olds.

zendy

A-List Customer
The first time I was called ma'am was when I was 21. I was working in a steel fabrication shop and my boss who was about 30 yrs older than me decided that he would only call me ma'am. It was hard to get used to but it was way nicer that what some of the other men called me, seeing was the only girl in the shop.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I get it fairly often at work. I call everyone Ma'am, Miss, or Sir. and occasionally it gets returned.

However I do *look* older. I've been mistaken for a teacher 2 times, college student multiple times, and asked which child was mine...I turned 17 in the end of Oct.:rolleyes:

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
Caity Lynn said:
I get it fairly often at work. I call everyone Ma'am, Miss, or Sir. and occasionally it gets returned.

However I do *look* older. I've been mistaken for a teacher 2 times, college student multiple times, and asked which child was mine...I turned 17 in the end of Oct.:rolleyes:

:eek:fftopic: When i was 17 the lady at a wal mart thought my 5 year old cousin was my kid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner