Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Today I crossed the line......

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
I couldn't help myself really.

It was bound to happen sooner or later.

I tried to stop myself....but before I knew it,......

......I found the phone in my hand and I was dialing the number.

I think I will just have to get my head wrapped around the fact that I did it.

All right....I admit it.

I SPENT FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS ON A HAT!!!!!!!!!!

OK. I said it.

I ordered an Optimo.

I wanted the la salle grey....but they were all out....so I went for the dove grey. Then I drove over to Western Costume and spent about an hour in their fedora room. We are talking hundreds of lids.

You can't trust those little swatches, so I found hats that matched and tried them on. That way I could get a sense of how the color would look on me.

In the end I called back and switched to pewter.

I will have it in a few weeks.

OK. I am going back to rehab now.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Congratulations, I feel sure you'll like it.
It's an addiction...albeit a non-life-threatening one.
Come January, I'm going to go for my first Montecristi.

mmarosy

One of the Regulars
MK, why do you torture me so?!!

My Optimo, Indy Brown is in transit, and I was expecting it yesterday. With our being "15 minutes from any civilization" as my wife likes to say, things usually arrive a little slower. So I'm hoping for today... and that it doesn't get drenched in the thunderstorms they're calling for.

Between this and the eventual arrival of the second gen idol, I'm in "Ralphie overload".... you better not inscribe "don't forget to drink your Ovaltine" on the bottom of the golden beauty!;)

Mike

Sergei

Gone Home
Well it's about time, MK! You deserve one. Like Chamorro was alluding to, it doesn't stop at just one. It's a slippery slope much like jackets and whips for me. The quality speaks for itself. Enjoy the journey. :)

-S

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
By the way MK, what style did you get?

Mike,
Don't worry about the rain getting to your Indy Brown. I have worn mine in a total of 3 thunderstorms now, and it's no worse for wear. Not even the slightest hint of taper to it yet. I haven't gotten it totally soaked, but I think the nutria content helps with the water resistance. I hope it gets to you soon!

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
I am deciding between an Indy style or a teardrop....maybe with a bound edge.

I am sending my Indy Borsalino to them to see if they can duplicate that crown and brim. I have yet to see a crown from Optimo that looks as Raiders as my Borsalino. Also they cut the brims different than PB does. Joe jr. is the man when it comes to brims. Lets see if they can duplicate it.

While it is there, I am having the lining sewn in and their Indy ribbon added. Optimo has THE perfect ribbon.

Of course this is all my opinion. I could be wrong. ;)

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
I'm surprised that you just ordered one! With ALL of that MK Idol money pouring in you should be commended. Congrats. I'll be in Chicago in just about one month ordering one for myself!
PBG

mmarosy

One of the Regulars
Originally posted by Zohar
Don't worry about the rain getting to your Indy Brown. I have worn mine in a total of 3 thunderstorms now, and it's no worse for wear.

I wasn't so much concerned about the actual hat getting wet as I was the hat box if its sitting on my porch. The rain is really coming down now and they've got tornado watches out... so now I'm hoping it doesn't blow away if its there waiting!:eek:

Oh, and the praises of the Indy Brown in the rain doesn't help the anxiousness... at all!;)

Mike

Rundquist

A-List Customer
I'll be really interested to see the final hat, although it makes me jealous when I see somebody else's Optimo if I don't have the same model. :D

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
I'm new here, but I happened to run into MK yesterday looking over his swatches. Enjoy the hat! But I'm going to trek to the opposite pole for a moment and talk about cheap hats. We're all connoisseurs here, of course, but part of me relates to the fedora man of yesteryear, the post-war joe who earned $25 a day and expenses, when he could get it, who had one suit, two shirts and the toughest hat he could find for a fin or less. Because of that, one of my favorite places to peruse hats is the Supply Sergeant on Hollywood Boulevard, one of the great army surplus shops. They have a wide variety of low-to-medium quality hats (and, frankly, some outright trash that I wouldn't jam on the head of my worst enemy). This is the place Mike Hammer would have shopped (though not just for hats). Mind you, I've never BOUGHT any hats there, but if I'm ever in down in Hollywood, just a few blocks from what used to be Raymond Chandler Square, I always stop in just to spend a few moments imagining.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Optimo Color?

I have the Pewter, Mouse, Dolphon, Phantom Blue, Willow Brown, Almond, London Gray, Sage Green, and the Graphite Gray. I like the Phantom Blue best, and the London Gray next. The Dolphin is also spectacualr. You MUST have one of each...can't wear the green with a blue suit, and the blue won't go with the brown jacket!! You will be overjoyed.
Wear it in the rain..who cares..that's what it's for!

Pen Collector

One of the Regulars
Today I crossed the line......l

AndyKev,

Which hat is the one your wearing in your picture? It looks gray but which gray? What is the style? It is a good looking hat.

Gabe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit