Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TONS of 1930s Fashion Photos

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd be interested to know how the Hollywood starlets acted in the 1930s-50s (whenever she was involved) when off the screen! We are contstantly subjected to Britney's crotch and Lindsey's drug problems...I wonder if the gals were more innocent back then or if the bad stuff just went on behind the scenes.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Good question. Marsha Hunt answers it partially in her book. She notes that many of these stars had their social lives "booked" by the studios. They worked long hours and were then expected to make themselves "seen" in selected nightclubs, restaurants, parties and openings. The studios arranged everything. Privacy was at a minimum.

Ms. Hunt writes that she never saw all the wild goings-on that Hollywood supposedly indulged in. She concludes that in many ways, the '30s was a more innocent time.

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
Bump! For the newer Lounge ladies who might not have seen this thread the first time.

P.S.: I will be interviewing Ms. Hunt soon for an article I'm writing. Guess which classic, stylish magazine I'll be pitching it to?

Are there any specific questions you'd like me to ask her? Please let me know in this thread.

Hi Marc,

At Noir City, Miss Hunt told the very entertaining story of exactly how she got her motion picture contract & came to work in Hollywood. It involved a sly bit of trickery (nothing underhanded or anything like that)! The story is not in her book. I think others would enjoy hearing it if you could coax it out of her again. :)

ladyk

Familiar Face
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I'd be interested to know how the Hollywood starlets acted in the 1930s-50s (whenever she was involved) when off the screen! We are contstantly subjected to Britney's crotch and Lindsey's drug problems...I wonder if the gals were more innocent back then or if the bad stuff just went on behind the scenes.

I'm a bit useless with the holywood aspect of things, but for the UK side of film making this book is fabulous.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shepperton-...3248458?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176661604&sr=1-2

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
IMG_3047_edited-1.jpg

I OWN ONE OF THESE IN BLACK!!
how exciting, I always wondered what tiem it was from.. my grandma gave it to me! how cool!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Good question. Marsha Hunt answers it partially in her book. She notes that many of these stars had their social lives "booked" by the studios. They worked long hours and were then expected to make themselves "seen" in selected nightclubs, restaurants, parties and openings. The studios arranged everything. Privacy was at a minimum.

Ms. Hunt writes that she never saw all the wild goings-on that Hollywood supposedly indulged in. She concludes that in many ways, the '30s was a more innocent time.

To add to this, stars were given strongly defined personas that they were expected to adhere to for their public. Those who didn't risked losing their jobs, and many incidents were covered up and kept tightly under wraps. For example, in the late 1930s the public began to gossip about the many married actors who were having somewhat public affairs (Clark Gable and Carole Lombard are one couple that comes to mind). The studio forced these actors to quietly divorce their estranged spouses and marry one another more or less to save face and make their relationships legitimate.

Things definitely went on behind the scenes (though not with every actor, of course), but the public was not supposed to see anything that did not fit with the image that the studios wanted to project.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not to mention Marsha was only 16

jitterbugdoll said:
To add to this, stars were given strongly defined personas that they were expected to adhere to for their public. Those who didn't risked losing their jobs, and many incidents were covered up and kept tightly under wraps. For example, in the late 1930s the public began to gossip about the many married actors who were having somewhat public affairs (Clark Gable and Carole Lombard are one couple that comes to mind). The studio forced these actors to quietly divorce their estranged spouses and marry one another more or less to save face and make their relationships legitimate.

Things definitely went on behind the scenes (though not with every actor, of course), but the public was not supposed to see anything that did not fit with the image that the studios wanted to project.

When she arrived in Hollywood, with her mother! I doubt if anyone wanted to corrupt her badly enough to run the legal risks. There was plenty of badness going on, but quietly...

Shirin

A-List Customer
Thanks Marc for bumping this up! What incredible photos. I never would have found this, you know how many pages are in The Powder Room?!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
MissAmelina et al, I'm a friend of the book's writer, Marsha Hunt, who is still going strong at 92. Ms. Hunt sells this book directly from her home. If you decide you like it enough to buy a copy, let me know and I'll put you in contact with her.

Miss Vixen

New in Town
Marc Chevalier said:
MissAmelina et al, I'm a friend of the book's writer, Marsha Hunt, who is still going strong at 92. Ms. Hunt sells this book directly from her home. If you decide you like it enough to buy a copy, let me know and I'll put you in contact with her.

Hi Marc~
I would love to buy a copy from Ms. Hunt, please send me the details :)

Miss Vixen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24