Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Too Busy?

Dagwood

Practically Family
I went to a fundraiser last night. Some people told me that my outfit looked "too busy." What do you think?
b_164558.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I think the shirt and jacket are fighting for subtleness and the tie and hanky are argueing for dominance.

The colors of the tie and hanky should be coordinated in some way or different enough that it doesn't make you worry about the contrast between the two. Maybe not too busy, though it could be better coordinated. I say replace the handkerchief with a white one and it will make it all better.

cgab1

One of the Regulars
I agree with Miss Bella, I think it's just the pocket square ( I'm no expert, though). Everything else is fine. It is a very nice suit.

cgab

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I like the tie and shirt combo, but the pocket square / handkerchief looks out of place. Might just be the flash tho.

Dagwood

Practically Family
Thank you all for your feedback. I agree that the pocket square is the weak link.

Matt Deckard said:
I think the shirt and jacket are fighting for subtleness and the tie and hanky are arguing for dominance.

I find this a very interesting, and insightful, viewpoint M.D. Do you think there should only be 1 item of clothing that dominates?

metropd

One Too Many
I Completley agree 100% from the second I saw it, it is soley the pocket square other wise the ensemble is perfect. just go thith white linen. I would highly suggest don't put dotted ties with dotted pocket squares especially when the pocket square is not picking up the colors and pattters of your suit tie and shirts and equally distributing the presentation.

neyus

New in Town
I think you will notice a huge difference if you were with a plain coloured pocket square. I wear a very similar outfit to you, except with the a plain white linen square. I also wear the opposite with polkadot square and solid tie.

Please post photos of the new outfit

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Four patterns is a hard thing to pull off. Nonetheless, it can be done if you know how. Don't listen to people who tell you never to wear more than one or two patterned pieces.

Manton, a member here, has done two posts on combining patterns over at the Ask Andy About Clothes forum. You can find the posts here and here. They're well worth reading.

Dagwood

Practically Family
Thanks again to all for your great advice.

Neyus: I love the hankie you superimposed on my picture. It's brilliant! Now, if I can only find one just like that...

Orgetorix: Good advice as always. Thanks for pointing out the excellent posts by Manton. I am printing them out and adding them to my library.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
The rules

Here is an extract from The Rules By Which I Live My Life.

Rule 1. Never ask for advice on dress.
Rule 2. Never give advice on dress.

I can heartily recommend both as steps on the way to true happiness...

Alan

Marty M.

Vendor
Not so fast.

Personally Dagwood, I like your original combo. A pocket square is nothing more then a fresh breath of expression. I think that your original pocket square looks like it belongs to a guy who always wears pocket squares. The problem with most pocket square dandies is that it can look very contrived. I like your look because it looks like you didn't spend to much time into thinking about it. Not a contrived look.
Marty Mathis

Feraud

Bartender
While I think the tie and pocket square are too busy I totally agree with Marty M's sentiment below.
Marty M. said:
The problem with most pocket square dandies is that it can look very contrived. I like your look because it looks like you didn't spend to much time into thinking about it. Not a contrived look.
Marty Mathis

I like what neyus suggest here -
neyus said:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i agree with Matt; i think a white or off-white hanky would be better, maybe with a blue stripe in it. that hanky and tie don't look happy together to me. the black ground of the hanky also isn't doing anything against the darkish grey suit. i'm never shy of 'busy' ness. in fact i probably go busier than a lot of people, but it's all about the different elements looking part of a whole.

neyus

New in Town
With pattern matching there are so many aspects to take into consideration. There is scale, as well as shapes and patterns (stripes versus checks, etc) and colors to think about. There is also a consideration of fabric weight and finish.

This is obviously hard to pull off when you have to take all of the above into account, that is why its safer to be a little conservative. If I wear a busy suit then I will almost always pair it with a more subtle tie or shirt or hanky. If I wear a plan suit, then I will try and wear a subetly louder shirt then maybe a plain tie and loud hank. You have to do it, otherwise you have several items of clothing fighting for attention. I think you want to maintain a certain focus for each item. Every piece of your wardrobe will have their day.

On the other hand you never want to looked to contrived. Or maybe you do. Sometimes I like to give the impression that I dont care with my clothing. Sometimes, I like to give the impression that my clothing is well thought out and deliberate. I mean, when we subscribe to various fora and talk about clothes we are deliberately giving thought to what we look like on a daily basis. I mean superficially this is a forum that focus primarily on the wearing hats and anchored in a certain period of history.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80