Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tootal - The Company History and its products (ties, scarves etc)

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Hi all! Incase anyone is interested, I have five 1950s Tootal ties up for sale on eBay, starting at £9.99 each.
The link is here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/candy_says?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Happy to combine postage! (and admin, do please delete if this message is breaking any rules!).
I've also got some 1950s Dunn & Co Fedoras, lots more vintage ties and some other vintage menswear so feel free to get in touch.
Very nice items there Candy. Just quite a lot more than I usually pay for Tootals!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
A new scarf. I assume judging by the label that it is very old. Also, the fabric is not the usual softness like my others - it feels like modern silk really, and is very thin. TT, Esteban, do you have ones like this? It doesn't seem to be an ideal weight for cold weather at all. Also, it's a little bit soiled around the neck. Not much, but a bit. Is it OK to hand wash it? I'm just concerned with it being thinner than the normal rayon.

This I got for free from a friend. It has some unfortunate stains on the front, one of which I think is paint, so I don't think it's gonna come out. It's really annoying because I love the colours in the tie. Any advice on removing paint from a tie?

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I have a scarf with that label and it handwashed fine Eddie, nice scarf that one though ...I think perhaps the earliest label...TT ?
As to the tie if it's emulsion it will more than likely come out....if it's gloss well you may be able to carefully pick the biggest part off then soak and wash the rest, hard to tell without seeing the mark.....

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Thanks Esteban! As far as I can tell it is the earliest, and actually is on the opposite side to normal too. I don't know if that was just an accident or a variation in the old ones? A bit of an unusual pattern compared to the parade of Paisley that is the norm.

I'll give that tie a wash and see how it goes. It's not a massive mark, but is noticeable.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The scarf is great - i just bought that style (or an incredibly similar one) a few weeks back. Yep, it is an early label and, as far as I can work out, those patterns were a favourite of Tootal through the 1930s. I've certainly seen them in newspaper adverts. Right up there with my favourites these days.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Latest haul:
My first ever 'Grey Quality' ties. The red one has been knocking about on Ebay for a while and TT showed it to me. I messaged the buyer and managed to get the price down from the listing. Then about two days later the silver one came up at a drastically cheaper price, so I snapped that up too. They have an odd texture, quite unlike any of the other ties. Very nice though, and the silver one is absolutely pristine, hardly worn.

Some nice cravats. All rayon oldies.
These are my two favourites, alongside that blue one.

A couple of fairly late-looking patterns, but the label is the old-style.

And a couple of medallion pattern ones.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Been really lucky recently for picking up Tootals. Ties first:

I'm a massive fan of this spotty 'Black' - it looks great on! The other is pretty regular though.

Two very old 'Standard's. The blue one is really knackered - fraying at the knot etc, but has that really old printed label. The black one has the older 'Tootal Tie' label on it that doesn't have 'rd' after 'Tootal'. It has reinforcing stitching around the neck band too, which I haven't come across in Tootals before (?)

Two of my newest favourites. The left a 'Sports' in that much sought-after racing pattern, and on the right a 'Blue' with a superb pattern.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
A load of cravats - various ages but all Rayon.

(The one of the left has an open neckband)

And...this one. I've never come across a nasty Tootal before, but this has got to be it. Reminds me of when you leave a banana in the fruit bowl too long. Despite it all, I find its' ugliness endearing.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Al good Eddie but I'm In love with the last two! First dibs on both....I may have some interesting stuff for you if you can make either the 26th or 27th of September.....you've obviously been at the Tootal mine again!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points