Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tootal - The Company History and its products (ties, scarves etc)

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Eddie: Never seen the white label before. The green, blue and purple one is interesting. That's a colour combination you don't see very often with Tootal. Just seeing those colours would immediately make me think of Duggie or Sammy cravats.
I like the Paisley one, I haven't seen that print before.

Esteban: the green one is from that fifties/sixties period of really intresting prints. I have a number in similar patterns, by various cravat makers. They remind me of home furnishing prints of the period (curtains etc).

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Eddie: Never seen the white label before. The green, blue and purple one is interesting. That's a colour combination you don't see very often with Tootal. Just seeing those colours would immediately make me think of Duggie or Sammy cravats.
I like the Paisley one, I haven't seen that print before.

It is an odd colour really. Very fun. I'd assume from the sixties probably?

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
A white Tootal scarf, in absolutely immaculate condition. The fabric is very light, and feels very much like the cotton and rayon blend you get with the 'Standard'/'Blue' Quality ties, not like the usual scarves (presumably because the normal scarves are for warmth, whereas this was to wear with evening-dress?). It is also my first Tootal scarf that I own, I'm ashamed to say. I've seen and held many, and come close a lot of times, but they're always a bit richly priced for my blood. Anyway, this was £6! Couldn't turn my nose up to that!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Six quid is a good price. Too many people try to charge way too much for Tootal scarves. I can never believe how much some Ebay vendors expect to get for a Tootal - £79 - in your dreams.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Yes, the white scarf was a staple of evening wear but it was also a popular item for regular blokes. Especially when you look back at the early years of the 20th century, you'll always see loads of ordinary men wearing white scarves. The shirtsleeves, waistcoat and white scarf look was popular among working class men.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Yes indeed! It's a look I've done a lot of times with another white silk scarf. Alternative to a collar or an under-the-shirt cravat.

Have you seen that red and blue polka-dot 'Tootal Muffler' on Ebay? Do you have one of those? I assume it's an early one rather than a variation?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I had a dealer badger me at an event I stood recently for Tootal scarves and I do mean badger, they offered £15 for" really good ones, especially polka dot ones"....prices are daft on Ebay for some Tootal stuff and it doesn't sell...I recently 'won' a very rare claret blue West Ham or villa colours??? and white striped Tootal scarf for a ridiculously cheap buy it now price but the seller returned my payment and re listed it a week later which I wasn't too happy about! Obviously he'd listed it wrongly....I wonder what it eventually sold for? I hope TT or Eddie eventually won it as stripes and football colours are not my thing it was just too good an opportunity to pass up even though it didn't pay off this time!

Last edited:

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
That's a dirty trick they played on you then! Are they allowed to do that? I can't remember seeing it - but then again I'm not as into the scarves as I am ties and cravats. I think £15 is about standard price really - it's what I tend to see them for in vintage shops.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I had a dealer badger me at an event I stood recently for Tootal scarves and I do mean badger, they offered £15 for" really good ones, especially polka dot ones"....prices are daft on Ebay for some Tootal stuff and it doesn't sell...I recently 'won' a very rare claret blue West Ham or villa colours??? and white striped Tootal scarf for a ridiculously cheap buy it now price but the seller returned my payment and re listed it a week later which I wasn't too happy about! Obviously he'd listed it wrongly....I wonder what it eventually sold for? I hope TT or Eddie eventually won it as stripes and football colours are not my thing it was just too good an opportunity to pass up even though it didn't pay off this time!

I bet it hasn't sold yet! I see the same scarves time and time again on Ebay. Those prices are just not realistic. I see less and less stuff starting at fair prices. I just missed out on three really nice early ones - including one without tassels which i think is a very early model. They went for £33. Someone did well getting them.
The striped ones never seem to sell for much, which is good because i like them although I have noticed the prices creeping up. Polka dot remains a big thing on the mod scene, i guess that's why dealers are deesperate to get their hands on them.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
I bet it hasn't sold yet! I see the same scarves time and time again on Ebay. Those prices are just not realistic. I see less and less stuff starting at fair prices. I just missed out on three really nice early ones - including one without tassels which i think is a very early model. They went for £33. Someone did well getting them.
The striped ones never seem to sell for much, which is good because i like them although I have noticed the prices creeping up. Polka dot remains a big thing on the mod scene, i guess that's why dealers are deesperate to get their hands on them.
I saw those too - they were a good deal. They didn't just have the tassels snipped off then? I have seen that before.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I paid over the odds for this one, but I couldn't resist. It is an absolutely toptastic design:
PI9WIec.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
That's a smasher TT! I'll check out the price that the stripey one sold for if indeed it did sell...nice ads Eddie ill peruse them later in glorious 'big O vision' for the full effect.

Ok back on the big computer so don't need to squint as much, here's the two Tootal cravat finds from yesterday;
15ey62e.jpg
3450iac.jpg

2howgnm.jpg
2gwb0oj.jpg

The yellow-ish one is only over printed in two colours namely dark red /oxblood and black , it's also unpleated, the polka dot one is more of a deep red/ burgundy though it appears bright red on my monitor, both have the same label....I wonder TT if the unpleated ones were a wartime austerity production as it would not only save on cloth, and stitching thread but also on time and stitching in the pleats?

Both are very bright and fresh despite looking a bit washed out again due to bright sunlight which can be a bit of a rarity up here in gloomy Derbyshire!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy