Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tootal - The Company History and its products (ties, scarves etc)

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Hello folks,

Here's my latest haul.
Three quite late 'Black Quality' ties (pretty thin). One missing a label, but I'd bet money it's a 'Black' like the rest, going on the shape.

I adore that blue one, and its pattern.

A 'Blue Quality' and a 'Red Quality'. The 'Red' is odd though. It states (and is) 'All Rayon', when I thought that all 'Red's were cotton? Anyone else got another Rayon one? Or have an explanation?
I love the pattern, but unfortunately it has a stain that I can't seem to shift. I've used a cold hand-wash and some tea-tree wipes, and it has reduced it.

On to Cravats!
I love these three - all with a plain neckband and in top condition!

I think I've seen that top one somewhere else on here?

Two more of those peculiar 'Ascot' fellows:

And lastly a pleated neckband cravat. Nice and vibrant.

Thanks for looking! And seriously, any advice on shifting those stains would be GREATLY appreciated. I really like that tie!

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Have you tried plain old washing machine powder hand hot in a bowl? it's never failed for me certainly with stains like that food/tea/coffee stain!
Some nice finds there Eddie you've obviously been busy at that Tootal mine!

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Have you tried plain old washing machine powder hand hot in a bowl? it's never failed for me certainly with stains like that food/tea/coffee stain!
Some nice finds there Eddie you've obviously been busy at that Tootal mine!
I've given it a go this morning and it has improved it! But it is still there. Maybe a couple more times will do it. Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
some more good stuff there. the blue is a really interesting pattern. you mentioned that the pattern on the green cravat is familiar - I think it is a common pattern that was done in many colours. Also, the yellow 'ascot' was a fabric used for normal cravats and for scarves. I certainly have that pattern as a cravat and a friend has it as a scarf.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Thanks TT. It's funny really to say how many patterns they had, but obviously they must have had some best-sellers that they continued to reproduce in different colours etc. I've really enjoyed wearing those three plain neckband cravats over the last couple of days. I forgot how much I like wearing cravats!
I'm dead curious about that 'Red Quality' though. A funny little hybrid!

Esteban68 - Only a few I think ;)

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Do we know how many patterns Tootal had?

No idea, but it was probably thousands. If you think they were producing rayon ties cravats and scarves from the twenties through to the late fifties. Polka dots in various sizes, plaids, checks, stripes, plain, animal prints and sports scenes - and that's before you even get into all the variants of paisley.
One day I would like to sift through the company archives (held at a museum in the north-west) to see if I can find out more. But that's a project for the future.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
There can't be many companies with that many patterns? Makes me wonder about the size of their pattern design team.

It'd be good to take a trip up to their archive - I wonder if they hold their original samples etc. It would be a unique experience! We should organise a FL day-trip out.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I'll make one being half way ip there already!
could we make it in the autumn or winter so ties and scarves can be utilised to their full potential please?....TT's writing prowess and the fact that he's a published author means I feel inclined to put him forward to do a picture heavy coffee table information rich book all about Toot all!!!

Last edited:

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
It could be fun! Turn up on the museum doorstep wearing as many Tootal products as possible. Swaddled from head-to-foot in rayon accoutrements, twenty ties around our necks as we make pilgrimage to the promised land.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21