Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tootal - The Company History and its products (ties, scarves etc)

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
TT in your price list you mentioned 'Super Quality'. I've never seen nor heard of this other than on a newspaper advert that refers to 'Standard' and 'Super'. Do you have one to show? Or was this just a colloquialism in the advert?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
No. I've never seen one. However, since adverts refer to 'standard' and 'super' and we know standard existed - and there were certainly price differentials - I am sure they must have existed. But why have we never seen one? I can't help you there. They are the elusive Holy Grail of British tie collecting!

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
True. I have a theory, however. I reckon that they used 'Super' and 'Special' interchangeably, especially if it was a shop advertising their range of Tootals, rather than an official Tootal ad. I guess one way to check is to see if 'Super' was mentioned in the same ad as 'Special'. I'll try and get around to it while I'm sifting through the newspapers today, cooped up in my attic office in the glorious sunshine :( ;)

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
I've done a bit of digging, although not loads, but can't seem to find references to both 'Super' and 'Special' in the same advert - but that doesn't mean there isn't somewhere, but I haven't had time to dig further. However, I have found the 'Super' was used by Tootal themselves. I'll post some interesting ads I've found in a bit.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Here we go folks.

Here is the advert that states 'Super' quality, from 1935. Is this the same one you've seen TT?

This one from 1938:

This from 1940. Similar variants crop up all over with the Pyramid hankies doing all sorts of jolly activities.

THIS one I found interesting. From 1941, it states that the 'Popular' and 'Standard' can be obtained in 'Khaki' and 'Black', presumably for the armed forces (Army, Navy, and I assume RAF would wear black also?). Now those would be a find! I propose those as being elevated also to 'Holy Grail' status. I've seen black ones knocking about, but they are usually 'Black Quality'. I don't know if that black 'Popular' I have could be one of them?

In fact, I remember not-so-long-ago there was someone on Ebay selling a black Tootal tie, claiming it was an old RAF tie. I assume they got their provenance from a relative that wore it in the war or something. Anyway, the clincher was that it was £100, then got reduced to £80. Not sure if it ever sold in the end...I can't imagine it did at that price.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Wasn't that black tie a post war 'black quality' tie?

Interesting adverts, not ones I've seen before. I assume that 'Super' was replaced by 'Special' circa 1940.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
The Ebay one or the one I've got? I can't quite remember the Ebay listing - only that crazy price!

I'll do some more digging tomorrow. I'll narrow it to the 1930s though. I'm really intrigued now! I hadn't heard of 'Super' until you mentioned it. It must be Loch-Ness-Monster-crossed-with-four-leafed-clover-rare!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
A couple of Tootal ties:

1940s 'Special Quality':
zzbg12A.jpg

1950s 'Blue Quality':
B0dKD2j.jpg

I can safely say these are bolder than most British ties of the period!

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
So YOU got that 'Special'! I had my eye on it. It is lovely though. Reminds me of peanuts...

The 'Blue' is great too. Similar to that 'Standard' I've got. Very distinctive!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Here's a couple of 1960's? Tootal cravats, still in rayon type fabric with the nice soft feel to it, labels are slightly different which is the earlier one?
2n7qbv9.jpg
2csf81g.jpg

6yi1km.jpg

Photos appear slightly 'washed out' because of the bright sun(for a change) yesterday!

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Nice! I saw those ones too. That green one is lovely, and has a very modern print on it. !hey look immaculate!

I'll try to get around to posting some more adverts I've found in the newspapers. I don't know whether it's just the search terms I'm using, but I haven't come across Tootal Cravats advertised yet. If it get time I'll do a quick search later.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Just given a couple of recent acquisitions a wash and they've come out okay. AND I took your advice esteban68 and soaked that 'Red' for a while and it's improved it an awful lot. I think the stain has left some permanent damage though but it's hardly detectable now. So thanks for that! :)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Hello folks. Here are my most recent acquisitions.

A really nice 'Green Quality'. I don't know if it's a 'real' Tartan, but either way it's very nice. Will be great for Xmas. Also, an unusual Paisley 'Special Quality' (similar to the one you have TT?).

I managed to find another All Rayon 'Red Quality'. It's lovely and soft, and is a lovely tie. The other, a 'Black Quality', in a pale mint green. Sadly a little bit mucky, with a glob of glue or something that won't shift. Wearable though!

Cravats! I really like these, especially the yellow and the purple/indigo one. I haven't seen many that colour! I've been wearing them a lot more with the hot weather. Although always with a tie in my pocket, just in case ;)

Is the white label a later one or an earlier one? I was assuming later.

Thanks for looking!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot