Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tootal - The Company History and its products (ties, scarves etc)

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
1950s Green Quality:
IMG_3595_zps27af2d2e.jpg

IMG_3596_zps446c6ca2.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
My latest purchases:

'Black Quality' tie - 1950s:
IMG_3650_zpse47e4718.jpg

IMG_3649_zps07eed226.jpg

Fairly rare striped scarf (probably thirties or forties):
IMG_3647_zps3c80825d.jpg

Detail of scarf patterns:
IMG_3646_zpse12ef7b3.jpg

IMG_3644_zps4ba26d28.jpg

Dan B

New in Town
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could help.
I am looking for information about Tootal Ties...

Does anyone know if they produced ties for clubs and schools?
Did they produce ties to order from their extensive range of fabric patterns?

I am trying to track down a particular tie, apparently the label read

TOOTAL TIE
Standard Quality
Crease Resisting
Pat. No. 10835 Dec 14 1927

I have never seen a Tootal Tie with a label anything like this.
Is it patent number? I have tried a search of Tootal, Broardhurst and Lee Patents online and can't find one with the number 10835.
Could it be pattern number instead? If so does anyone have any idea what it would have looked like?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I don't think I've seen a tie (or scarves and cravats) that actually have the patent date on them(?). That said, I haven't seen very many early (pre-1940s) Tootal ties.

The patent will most likely refer to the tebilizing process that was used for crease resistance. As far as I know, they produced ties for clubs etc. in fact last year someone on ebay was selling an entire box of Tootal school ties.

Dan B

New in Town
Thank you, that's great. Australia ties in with what I know too.
It's a bit difficult to explain, I have no photos and no pictures just a description.

Cherry picker

New in Town
You won't believe how happy I am to have fibnally got this scarf. For me, this is the Holy Grail of Tootal scarves.

At first glance, it's a normal paisley pattern:
scarf-2.jpg

But then, you take a closer look and Wow! Horse racing scenes:
scarf-2-detail.jpg

scarf-2-label.jpg

This is now my all time favourite scarf. I can't tell you how happy I am with it!

I first saw it on Ebay six months ago. But it kept being advertised at a way too high price and remained unsold month after month. Then another one came up for sale, at a much lower price. But i just missed out. Then the original one was readvertised at a lower price. i just had to buy it. I paid way more than i woould normally pay - but then my pleasure with the scarf is so-much greater.

I have the same one.Living in the same city,maybe we need to arrange some kind of time-share on wearing it out!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Maybe we were bidding against each other on ebay - and sent the price higher than either of us would have wanted!

It's great isn't it? I hardly ever wear it. I like to save it for special occasions. I know that if I ever see another (one at a reasonable price) I will buy it - just in case.

Cherry picker

New in Town
Maybe we were bidding against each other on ebay - and sent the price higher than either of us would have wanted!

It's great isn't it? I hardly ever wear it. I like to save it for special occasions. I know that if I ever see another (one at a reasonable price) I will buy it - just in case.
Didn't spot that one on Ebay....been collecting Tootal for many years.Once I get my post count up i will put up some pictures of my Tootal print Rayon short sleeve shirts.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Interesting, what period are the shirts from?

I will be looking forward to seeing lots of good stuff from your collection (especially any pre-war ties). Since you are a long-time Tootal collector, I'd be interested to know any comments you might have on the dating of Tootal products and how we have generally been assessing them in this thread.

Cherry picker

New in Town
I don't have any ties,I never wear one! I would say that the shirts are from 50's-70's…all have different labels.I am as in the dark as everyone else as far as accurate dating goes.This is definitely a subject that needs further investigation.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran