Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top Hat Fedex Damage insured hat

D00R

One of the Regulars
Its damaged in 7 places on the top hats brim.
3 cracks in the front.
1 on each side of the brim.
1 crack in the back.
A long crack separating the brim from the crown in the back as well.

Sweat band in the front cracked also. But id rather that not be removed maybe just glued?

Im so heartbroken about this, the hat was in Great condition. I had been sent all photos prior to the purchase.

The ebay seller has contacted fedex and now i need to bring the hat in to be inspected to recieve a partial payment for repairs.
fedex wanted to pickup the hat but i wont let them do anymore damage.

My Question is has anyone had a top hats brim repaired?
The cracks need to be sealed together.

I love this hat and i live in New York I also have a friend in LA that can take it to a hat repair shop there if any you fedora loungers no either a good place in Ny or La

I love hats and i want to save this one its my first top hat in a looong time. I used to wear them when i was kid took me soo long to find this one.

-Jonathan

Last edited:

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
http://imageshack.us/a/img687/2919/imagejxp.jpg

imagehks.jpg

imagehqk.jpg

imagezou.jpg

Wow, I am so sorry that happened to you... what a great looking Topper :eeek:

D00R

One of the Regulars
I know : ( it was a beautiful Top Hat museum quality. Fedex ruined it... I noticed a lifted up tear the size of my palm on the box and I had a premonition that it was opened and resealed.

I wonder if they just do that, mess with peoples packages. this is the second time that they shipped a hat damaged to me, and i hadn't bought a hat in years.

theirs no way to glue the brim so its a solid brim again? I dont want to replace anything, I just want the brim sturdy, its okay if the tears are visible I suppose.

People just don't give a shit in long Island. Im visiting my Mom after her surgery, I moved to california and its a whole other world out there. I come back to long island people make fun of me, dis my clothes my glasses, my hats, talk shit about everyone. car accidents all the time, angry people. I hate being here.
I wish I had never had it shipped to my moms place in long island.

I can't wait to go back to my home in cali.

D00R

One of the Regulars
here it is, it still looks cool i just need it to be stronger around the brim, theirs just those damn 7 tears that make it fragile.
551320_10152737714510158_199378047_n.jpg

the ribbon also is lifted up. maybe replace the ribbon to with a wider one since its tearing in the back.
Im so furious about this. I have to go to Fedex this week after the ebay seller sets up the date in Ny so i can show them the damage.
I want to get enough money to fix it.
I think anything can be fixed. if its been made it can be done again by someone that knows there shit.

heres the packaging. it was well packaged. i dont see how the silk or fur can tear by being shook around in all those peanuts.
someone opened it and ****ed it up.

http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/818/imageycj.jpg

http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/853/img6662cw.jpg

http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/40/img6659.JPG

my grey fedora shipped to long island, they ripped the box up stepped on the hat rolled it up in a ball and the mail people shipped it back to the ebay seller. she was shocked how it looked. she had it repared for me re-steamed and cleaned and sent back to me by USPS Priority not Fedex.
I will never know who did that to my Grey Royal Stetson a hat i wanted soo much. I hate long island its full of scumbags for the most part.

Last edited:

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
That's a damn shame. You may be able to salvage it, but you'd need to send it to an English Hatter like Lock & Co or Patey for a full restoration. They can fix the cracks and etc, but it may be very expensive to do so. I don't know of any American companies that are qualified to fix it, and I wouldn't trust any that claim they can. Get an estimate on the cost of repairing it from them, then use that as a basis for insurance costs from FedEx. If FedEx pays up, get it repaired using the money. Or don't and enjoy a windfall.

Also, move out of long island.

Edit: also, remind FedEx that top hats like this are *irreplaceable* because they are no longer manufactured, and therefore the only option is repair, not just buying another one. And don't give up until you get 100% of the repair cost.

Last edited:

D00R

One of the Regulars
That's a damn shame. You may be able to salvage it, but you'd need to send it to an English Hatter like Lock & Co or Patey for a full restoration. They can fix the cracks and etc, but it may be very expensive to do so. I don't know of any American companies that are qualified to fix it, and I wouldn't trust any that claim they can. Get an estimate on the cost of repairing it from them, then use that as a basis for insurance costs from FedEx. If FedEx pays up, get it repaired using the money. Or don't and enjoy a windfall.

Also, move out of long island.

Edit: also, remind FedEx that top hats like this are *irreplaceable* because they are no longer manufactured, and therefore the only option is repair, not just buying another one. And don't give up until you get 100% of the repair cost.

thank you for the reply neturnofphrase,
I did i moved away a year ago to california, i'm just visiting and I just can't stand it here. No one has any individuality.

I didn't know I can get the entire $250 back from fedex. They told the ebay seller if I wanted a complete refund of the money fedex would have to take the hat and destroy it. fedex said they can only give me a sum margin of the insurance if i chose to keep the hat. But they still need me to bring it down there so they can see it.

I'm so sad about this hat it just looks like someone opened the box and cracked the hat up in all these places, as if someone with a big head forced it on there head. the hat is to big on me to now.

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
Oh dear Oh dear.. mate that's a shocker, how on earth could they do that amount of damage and have the balls to hand it over as ok.
Like you said no one cares anymore, especially the guy who deliver the parcels, I've had the same here with Australia post as most of there work is contracted out to operators who seriously don't give a dam. I've had parcels thrown at my door, parcels left at the bottom of the driveway where anyone can steal it, and it just gets worse. Trouble is you complain and you may as well talk to a brick wall.
Sorry buddy that's one great had destroyed.. hopefully you can work it out..

A great disappointment... sorry for the loss. It is not due to a personal vendetta from the FedEx driver or from the evils of Long Island - just a package that was not prepared adequately for the automated machine processing, which does, on occasion, eat a box or two. There are many ways to ensure a delicate item arrives safely but unfortunately, foam peanut fill is not high on the list.

There are many top hats in fine condition that come up for sale on ebay. If the seller provided insurance on the package, I would take the settlement and apply it to a new purchase. Do not take the approach that the item is priceless as FedEx and other carriers do not insure irreplaceable items or collectables where a value cannot be determined. You have a purchase price to establish the value and, if insured, a path for reimbursement.

Best of luck. I am in Long Island this week too. A very busy place, but there are many good folks living and working underneath the hurry :)

D00R

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys for the support.
This lounge is Awesome im happy i found it years ago.

I just want the brim to be strong so i can wear it without worry.
It was insured for $250
The brim is the only part damaged a lot. The crown is intact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass