Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top Hat

Taggert

Familiar Face
Just found this in a drawer me and my grandpa was looking through, he is curious if anyone knows anything about the company. Its a pop up type (not sure if they all are?):
(click for larger)

Thanks all =)

Abyss

Familiar Face
Wow! Good find! The type of hat I wanted before I got a fedora, and the type of hat I still want, is a good top hat. Those pop-up top hats were called Opera Hats, and were sometimes used to make a dramatic entrance to the opera, as far as I remember. Surely someone else knows much more about them than I do...

Edward

Bartender
Top hats are, of course, fragile, easily damaged, and can take up a lot of space. Opera hats were designed as an easier to stow alternative for wearing to the theatre. They're also great if you are travelling.

I have both an opera hat and a regular top hat, and for my money the former looks just as well as the latter. Another big bonus is that vintage opera hats seem to fetch much less than their fixed counterparts on OFAS...

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Very nice piece of history,I`m sure..anyone has an idea of that inner flap, and how it is used? It`s an adjuster?

Taggert

Familiar Face
Thanks for the replies gents!

It would be nice to know the history of these, I'm going to see what i can dig up.

Edward on a side note what is OFAS?

carldelo

One Too Many
Nice word: Gibus = opera hat

Alex Oviatt said:
It is also known as a gibus. Strange word. Also an ancient Roman orator. Not sure if there is a link there.

Alex - that's a great word - I looked it up on my favorite online dictionary "www.onelook.com", which looks up your word in dozens of online dictionaries.

Here's the result, from http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=gibus&r=66

gi·bus /ˈdʒaɪbəs/ –noun, plural -bus·es. opera hat.

Also called gibus hat.

[Origin: 1840–50; named after Gibus, 19th-century Frenchman, its inventor]
Now that's a cool word origin...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass