Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Topcoat Conversions?

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
I have a single-breasted charcoal grey overcoat that falls to halfway between my knees and ankles.

I am thinking of having this converted to a top coat to end just above my knees.

Any thoughts, advice, examples that others have done?

Cheers,

Harry.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Sounds like you have a nice coat. Don't mess with it. The pocket placement and waist suppression are likely placed for a longer coat and if you shorten it it may end up looking like a chair which has had it's legs cut short. If you want a shorter coat go buy a shorter coat and sell this one to someone who wants a longer coat.

armscye

One of the Regulars
I have converted exactly one long coat-- but it was a charcoal cashmere single breasted like yours.

I brought it up from mid calf to a length about 3 inches longer than a suit. Came out great, but my recommendation is that you need to really slim it down to get the right "London topcoat" effect-- leave it loosely fitted and it will look exactly like a shortened overcoat. My tailor needed two turns at bat to get it right.

I also contemplated shortening an enormously heavy, warm tweed double-breasted, but my tailor told me it would look too much like a peacoat. Food for thought.

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
Sounds like you have a nice coat. Don't mess with it. The pocket placement and waist suppression are likely placed for a longer coat and if you shorten it it may end up looking like a chair which has had it's legs cut short. If you want a shorter coat go buy a shorter coat and sell this one to someone who wants a longer coat.

I wondered about exactly that. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24