Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toppers Unite

Lokar

A-List Customer
Just an update regarding the topper I posted in this thread: I recently noticed that the town it was made in was "Eslöf", rather than "Eslöv" - The name was changed from Eslöf to Eslöv during the Swedish spelling reform of 1906! It's obviously possible the company didn't change the decoration on their linings for quite some time, but it's very clearly a true vintage.

Topper

Vendor
I thought you were hanging out for 6&1/2 inch minimum! :D

Must have been good price for you to drop your normal requirements :rolleyes:

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Excellent guide. Though I have no toppers it was interesting to read.

:eek:fftopic: Can I add you as a friend on facebook? I don't intend to add all loungers, but you are one of the UK ones.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
avedwards said:
Excellent guide. Though I have no toppers it was interesting to read.

:eek:fftopic: Can I add you as a friend on facebook? I don't intend to add all loungers, but you are one of the UK ones.

Most certainly!

I seem to be getting word that farcebook has disallowed some people reading my blog. I will be putting it on my wordpress sometime soon so that there will be no problems accessing it.

Barrelhouse

One of the Regulars
I agree. The articles on polishing and re-lining a top hat are excellent CH. BRAVO! I haven't had a chance to read any of your other musings yet but I look forward to it. And, you look even more splendiferous than usual in the photograph of you polishing the silk topper. Well done.

Lokar

A-List Customer
There's a second hand store selling an opera hat with box (Pictures at end of post). My wife found it, had a look and took some photos to show me.

The owner is willing to sell it to me for 500 Swedish Kronor (£40 / $65 US). It's not my size, I'd be buying it purely to resell. The box was intact, and the hat was fully functional and appeared to be in _very_ good condition. My wife has looked at some pictures and swears it is grosgrain.

At £40 is it a bit much? I'm afraid I don't know what size, only that it's smaller than a 7 3/8 US (my size).

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Yep, it is grosgrain.

£40 seems to be on the higher end of what you can get it for on eBay. Personally, if you are buying to re-sell I wouldn't touch it. If it was around £20 then you could make a profit on it.

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
I adore top hats, so the small inconvenience of my being a woman has not stopped me ;)

I own two, I think one is fur and the other is silk. The silk one is in quite bad condition. Looks like it has been worn a lot on a daily basis, which makes me think it is quite old. The silk has completely peeled off the front of the brim from touching it, the body has cracks and is rubbed off on most edges, but I love it none-the-less. The inside of the hat is in excellent condition, though. It fits me just right... and I have worn it a few times, I guess I belong in the circus too ;)

The other hat is in excelent condition externally, but the inside has salty stains and is in not such a great condition. I have no idea how old it might be. I can still put it on but it is too small. And my head is on the small side I think... the previous owners of these hats were tiny Spaniards.

And here some pictures, excuse me but they are a bit blurry, it is quite dark here right now:

IMG_3881.jpg

IMG_3882.jpg

IMG_3883.jpg

Bow, initials on band, stitching, silk?

IMG_3888.jpg

IMG_3890.jpg

IMG_3893.jpg

Front view, band, bow and size.

Two pictures of them worn (disclaimer! by a woman! in her nightgown!! :p :p ) 1 & 2.

Topper

Vendor
Lokar said:
There's a second hand store selling an opera hat with box (Pictures at end of post). My wife found it, had a look and took some photos to show me.

"Ribbed silk" was the term frequently used to describe these Opera hats, Gibus hats are often found in the same texture as they had a tendance to last longer than a plain or satin weave silk.

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
Prolly wuudn't'a fit anways

I hope to some day own a silk top hat; I've wanted one since I was a child. I can remember longing for an old silk top hat that hung in one of the booths at an antiques market, since become a gymnasium, that my family sometimes visited when I was young.

I'll have to wait a good long while, however, until I can buy one as I want a rather tall one of not less than 6" high, which would be both quite rare and quite expensive in size US 7 1/2. Ah, but some day, some day...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21