Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toppers Unite

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Topper experts:
Do you polish a beaver/fur top hat similar to how you polish a silk plush one or is it different?

Thanks!

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
Topper said:
Both appear silk plush, the smaller being a Punti size 3&1/2 size = 54cm

Oh, really? I have no idea I have to admit. I just thought it must be a different material since the second hat has a lot shorter nap, not so lustrous even though it is in much better condition, and rougher to the touch.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Medvssa said:
Oh, really? I have no idea I have to admit. I just thought it must be a different material since the second hat has a lot shorter nap, not so lustrous even though it is in much better condition, and rougher to the touch.

I concur.

The first one looks beyond repair IMHO.

Topper

Vendor
Medvssa said:

Nap length varied depending on quality, silk plush is traditionally silk pile on cotton back. So where the nap it is worn away underneath it will show cotton/calico weft underneath. ) as shown in you damaged hat.

The better condition one still appears silk. Though could be rayon ( though not many of those around) , without actually seeing it and sampling it can be very hard to tell.

A flet hat is made from felt hood, as such wearing it down merely wears away at the material exposing more felt...

When it completly wears through the 1st layer exposing the underbody. Which can show usually:

silk plush over calico shell
silk plush over felt shell
silk plush over cork shell

or

felt over a calico shell; or
felt all the way through

The first silk hats had a felt or wicker / latice like framework underneath.

Topper

Vendor
Chasseur said:
Topper experts:
Do you polish a beaver/fur top hat similar to how you polish a silk plush one or is it different?

Thanks!

Often different on polish - depends on the finish of the felt. 1st make sure you are talking beaver, Modern Melusine are mostly polished ( and whilst fur not often beaver) but not always.

Not all beaver felts toppers were intended to be are polished, some were long hair which you didn't polish or directional brush at all. The "ruffled" look.

Warbaby

One Too Many
I have a collapsable opera topper that's in near mint condition and is possibly the most comfortable hat I've ever worn. Just wish I had more occasions to wear it.

I've been wondering about the finer points of top hat design and proportion. Watching them on eBay, I see quite a wide range of heights, straightness vs curved sides, brim width and amount of curl. Are these stylistic differences indicative of a particular period or is it just that there's a lot of lattitude in topper styling?

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Well, I finally own a topper.

'Twas a local thrift store score for only $10-. Gotta' love that. I've wanted one of these since I was about seven years old but this one will probably only temporarily be in my collection.

A decent Dobbs, not incredibly old, I'd think. In good shape as far as the fur and the brim, but lacking a ribbon and an inside bow. Also showing some weird distorted portion on the wide leather sweatband which I hope to tame with Lexol, moisture and a hat jack.

The bad news/good news is that it is too big for me. No size information to be found but I estimate it at about 7-1/2 which may make this a good resale item once I've fixed up its deficiencies and brushed the fur to a high shine.

I'd really appreciate any ideas about the date of manufacture as well as any tips on getting a ribbon for/on it.

As it is now:

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
HeckifIknow, jwalls. Sorry. But hopefully one of the experts will have some info.

---------

I too, could use help. I need to obtain and install a proper ribbon on the topper I posted above. Advice on getting the material and how to style it would be appreciated.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
HarpPlayerGene said:
HeckifIknow, jwalls. Sorry. But hopefully one of the experts will have some info.

---------

I too, could use help. I need to obtain and install a proper ribbon on the topper I posted above. Advice on getting the material and how to style it would be appreciated.

The ribbon should be silk grosgrain but these are as rare as hen's teeth. Personally, it requires the services of Patey or Lock for a full restoration (sweatband needs replacing, new hatband needs to be installed, silk plush needs to be reconditioned, etc; looks like the full works). You're better off selling it and getting a better one which there are plenty on eBay (if this had fitted you, I'd have advised you to stick with it and send it for renovation). It would appeal to those with a large hat size indeed as silks in large sizes are rare and it would be cheaper for them to have this renovated than buying an already renovated one for a few hundred/thousand GBP more.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Charlie Huang: I recently picked up a very old topper from a fellow Lounger. It seems to be pre 1910, from the height (just a guess). Anyway, it clearly needs full restoration. But the greatest need is for a new sweat band. And second greatest need is the ribbon around the brim. It's threadbare and torn. The silk definitely needs refurbishing, but it's not as obvious as the other problems. Do you think having the sweat and edge ribbon replaced would make sense, and be cost effective, as opposed to a full rehab at Patey?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana