Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tough as old boots (redwing boots and breaking in)

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have the same model for a few years now. I could do with a few less scruffs and the thick leather forming creases at the bending point. (is there a word for it?)
Yours look fine. I don't understand your problem. Do you buy pre-distressed jeans too?

Edward

Bartender
What are those, the Gentleman Traveller / Beckman with the plain round toe? I'd be getting a few coats of polish on them to cover up the scuffing (one my screen looks like there's some on the top of the toes), but nothing else. Is it a fit issue, or do you want to visually age them? I've never tried to age shoes artificially - I like them to look tidy as long as possible - so I cant much help there. If it's a fit issue, the best option is just to wear them daily until they feel right. That's what I did with my Iron Rangers.

Draznek

New in Town
What are those, the Gentleman Traveller / Beckman with the plain round toe? I'd be getting a few coats of polish on them to cover up the scuffing (one my screen looks like there's some on the top of the toes), but nothing else. Is it a fit issue, or do you want to visually age them? I've never tried to age shoes artificially - I like them to look tidy as long as possible - so I cant much help there. If it's a fit issue, the best option is just to wear them daily until they feel right. That's what I did with my Iron Rangers.

They are Beckmans, if anything they are a bit too loose now ,as have to wear thicker socks to stop heel slip.
I just wanted to tone down the Newness (is that a word?) despite being 2 years old, so they complement my vintage jeans i tend to wear. but not gonna loose sleep over it :)

RegentSt1965

Familiar Face
I find Beckmans and Chuckas are tighter than my moc-toe and Ice cutters, so I have to take a half size up. I solve this by decreasing the shoe volume with a decent insole. Just wear 'em and use a treatment sparingly, its the best way to get a good colour and a broken in boot. Accelerating the wear without regard for the gradual colour change will not be a good look. I use oil rather than cream on my Beckmans to keep a matt, rather than shiny feel. Also it softens the leather helping to conform to the foot and get realistic ageing. (Maybe not such a good idea if they are being used for heavy duty work when stiffness is a virtue)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have never worn boots other than Blundstones, can you tell me what purpose these boots are used for? Hiking? Army trekking? Surely they are too bulky and cumbersome for a day in the city?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
They are Beckmans, if anything they are a bit too loose now ,as have to wear thicker socks to stop heel slip.
I just wanted to tone down the Newness (is that a word?) despite being 2 years old, so they complement my vintage jeans i tend to wear. but not gonna loose sleep over it :)

Try placing a thin insole inside the boot, it will make them be a bit tighter when you then lace them up for a better fit.

Draznek

New in Town
I find Beckmans and Chuckas are tighter than my moc-toe and Ice cutters, so I have to take a half size up. I solve this by decreasing the shoe volume with a decent insole. Just wear 'em and use a treatment sparingly, its the best way to get a good colour and a broken in boot. Accelerating the wear without regard for the gradual colour change will not be a good look. I use oil rather than cream on my Beckmans to keep a matt, rather than shiny feel. Also it softens the leather helping to conform to the foot and get realistic ageing. (Maybe not such a good idea if they are being used for heavy duty work when stiffness is a virtue)

Some fine tips , what oil do you use? I have some Fiebings mink oil paste

I have never worn boots other than Blundstones, can you tell me what purpose these boots are used for? Hiking? Army trekking? Surely they are too bulky and cumbersome for a day in the city?

Blundstone 550 are my daily boot strangely enough ( not so easy to get in the uk, but as a big Les hiddens fan in the 80s I had to have a pair) , from what i remember the Beckman boot were designed as a smart work boot originally . They a surprisingly comfortable.

Try placing a thin insole inside the boot, it will make them be a bit tighter when you then lace them up for a better fit.
A good tip thanks as the thick sock tend to get a bit warm

Last edited:

tonypaj

Practically Family
Mine look pretty much the same, but they are 3 years old, at least. Took a year to have them comfortable. I have no problems with them for a day in the city. Or many days. I work in an office and wear them there, as well. Of course they are different from RM Williamses and stuff, I have a few pairs of them, as well. Beckmans are heavier, it's like comparing heavy horsehide Highwayman to an A-2.

Edward

Bartender
I've worn my Iron Rangers to the office many times. Don't look right with a suit, but with slacks or cords and a tweed blazer they're grand. They were tough for the first week or so, but very comfortable ever since. I'd look into the Beckman/GT for something a little dressier, but I like chunky boots for casual (by the standards round here.... I rarely, if ever, dress casually at all by contemporary fashion norms) wear.

RegentSt1965

Familiar Face
"Some fine tips , what oil do you use? I have some Fiebings mink oil paste"
RW mink oil on moc-toe, Boot oil on Beckmans/Chuckas. Mink can darken something like a briar oil chucka, RW's product listing on their website tells you the leather (and last eg Last #8 etc) Some info here:http://www.redwingheritage.eu/care

Annixter

Practically Family
Some fine tips , what oil do you use? I have some Fiebings mink oil paste

I'd consider giving neatsfoot oil a try before overpaying for manufacturer-labeled oils. At least in the States, you can find it in tack and harness shops or online for considerably less money per volume than anything with a Red Wing or other brand label. Neatsfoot oil does a nice job a drawing out the leather's natural color, softening it, and waterproofing it. If you aren't looking to soften the leather, you'll want to take a different route.

As far a patina goes, if that's what you mean by aging the boots, there isn't anything much better than wear and time. As others have said, artificial distressing will most likely look fake, unless you're a pro at forgeries.:p I'd wear them as much as possible to get the aged look, and in 10 years, you'll get there.;)

jpholla10

New in Town
I've had these same Redwings since 2009. I wore them nearly every day for a year doing yard work, walking the dog, going to the pub. After a year of hard use they still looked practically brand new. I considered this a good thing. I keep 'em oiled and protected with SnoSeal and brush dirt off of them occasionally. The best method for aging a pair of tough-wearing boots is age. Wear them tough and they'll look like they've been worn tough. I'd encourage everyone to avoid neglecting these boots the oil that any leather boot requires. You'll only succeed in drying out the leather and compromising the longevity of the boot. If you really want to "fake the funk" on aging these boots, walk around in crushed limestone gravel and kick it around for a few hours. Or, go running on the beach in deep sand...just stay out of the surf. After engaging in these extreme aging processes, make sure you brush and/or wipe off the dirt and re-oil the leather. Patience is a virtue and the best way to get the worn look is to earn it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24