Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Traditional 50's style Leather Biker Jackets

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Anybody have suggestions for online sources for Leather Biker Jackets. I have always wanted one of these and wanna make sure and find a good quality vintage 50's style jacket.

Peacoat

Bartender
How much do you want to pay? For a midrange biker jacket, try Schott. Vanson, Langlitz and Aero come to mind as the high end. Right now Aero is a better deal than it was 6 months ago.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
If money is no object, langlitz custom. Or true fifties vintage off e-bay. If money is more of an issue, then buy good quality used or vintage off ebay. A good langlitz will still fetch 4-5 hundred, but that is better than buying new. And if you zippers ever go bad, they will replace them for free, whoever is the current owner, except shipping. Great american made company still family owned in Oregon.

breeze

New in Town
While this is my first post, it is something I can finally contribute to. I have a Langlitz in goat and absolutely love it! The quality is outstanding and it will last you a lifetime. I have no regrets with my purchase. In fact, a vest will be my next purchase from them.

Google the name and check out the website or give em a call, they'd be more than happy to talk to you as well. I'd definitely suggest you get leather samples to judge what you want. The cowhide will take awhile to break-in vs the goat. Personal choice I guess....

Not sure what the wait time will be nowadays but when they quote you a date, they deliver. Be ready to spend upwards of $1000.

If you're looking for a better deal, Aero would offer that in terms of dollar amount right now. Quality wise... I can't say, maybe someone else can compare that, as I don't yet own an Aero but will soon. For the price right now, I think it's something one shouldn't pass up.

Good luck!

Peacoat

Bartender
breeze said:
While this is my first post, it is something I can finally contribute to. I have a Langlitz in goat and absolutely love it! The quality is outstanding and it will last you a lifetime. I have no regrets with my purchase. In fact, a vest will be my next purchase from them.

Google the name and check out the website or give em a call, they'd be more than happy to talk to you as well. I'd definitely suggest you get leather samples to judge what you want. The cowhide will take awhile to break-in vs the goat. Personal choice I guess....

Not sure what the wait time will be nowadays but when they quote you a date, they deliver. Be ready to spend upwards of $1000.

If you're looking for a better deal, Aero would offer that in terms of dollar amount right now. Quality wise... I can't say, maybe someone else can compare that, as I don't yet own an Aero but will soon. For the price right now, I think it's something one shouldn't pass up.

Good luck!

Welcome aboard, Breeze, and thank you for your post.

Edward

Bartender
As I understand it, Schott really created the Brando-style biker jacket as we know it, and the Perfecto is a really nice option. Over here in the UK, though, they're notg far off the price of the Aero equivalents, which may be an issue if you would prefer horse or goat (Aero options) over steer (which, from what I can make out, is the only option in a Perfecto). Lewis jackets are beautiful, though as James says they are expensive. I remember looking at them three years or so ago when they were about the same price as an Aero: they're significantly more now. Personally I couldn't justify the price jump over the Aero, but they are a smaller operation (with higher overheads, I imagine), really dedicate and friendly by all accounts, and certainly if price is not a factor they would be very much one I'd consider.

FWIW.... a lot also depends on what you're after.... if you're looking for something you could actually use on a bike, it's worth spending the money, but if it's just for something to wear out occasionally, there are a lot of options in that general style that can be had for much less. I plan to buy an Aero eventually myself, but for now my cheap cowhide jacket that I've worn since 2002 looks the buiness and is actually holding up just fine.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Uh, maybe not free....

I have 1980's vintage Langlitz that has a small tear in the fabric at the bottom of the zipper. After reading these posts, I shot them an e-mail. They quoted me $40 to replace the zipper plus $15 return shipping. So policy has apparently changed. $70 bucks seems steep, but I hate to have the local shoe shop do the zipper.

Twit

One of the Regulars
DBLIII said:
I second celtic. Fox Creek is not often heard of, and that's too bad, because their (definitely heavy) leather is fantastic.

And here too. I live in the UK but got a fox jacket sent across, they are very very good. I wear mine on a bike, so the fact that they are heavy is good, but I'm happy wearing it off the bike too. An added bonus for this time of year is the thermal liner... They are easily as good as any other biker jacket I have seen here.

Since I'm on a MC much of the summer...I've found that very heavy HH leather such as Aero and LW just isn't comfortable for me. After trying them out...I moved them on. Out of the extremely heavier leathers,Langlitz is probably the most comfortable cowhide,IMO.
Searching eBay for true vintage Bucos..Schotts..etc..can be very aggravating for some of us to find a good fit.
A friend that I ride with occasionally has a FoxCreek MC jacket. I must say that they are well made and of good quality leather. For the price..hard to beat!
HD

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
I'm riding all the time and if you are looking for a true riding bike jacket, I like Vanson and Fox Creek. I rode my LW Buco J-24 down to Daytona and it did great but it was heavy. I have a Vanson now and it does just as well, besides I can patch it up with no regrets. I wouldn't think of that with the LW.

Couple of shots from Daytona. I'm wearing the LW and the wife is wearing Fox Creek. The first shot I don't remember.

136-3623_IMG.jpg

100NIKON-DSCN1470_DSCN1470.jpg

DetroitFalcons

Familiar Face
If I was going to go with a new Schott, I would buy the 613 or 618 (steerhide). For the money, I'm not convinced of the naked cowhide concept (you aren't supposed to condition it). Vanson makes a great jacket as well. Langlitz makes a great jacket, but aesthetically a Schott or some Vansons look better to me.

Orvil Newton

One of the Regulars
Vanson is the best, IMO. I have a couple of their jackets and the wife had a full leather road racing suit (She used to race 600 class).

They make a couple of variations of the "Rocker" Style and a very nice A-2 with one piece back. Mine is almost exactly like an original right down to the cotton lining.

You can custom order just about anything from them and the quality is as good as it gets. Pricey but worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran