Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
TrenchGuy said:
I found my grandfather's old long leather coat(I'm not referring to it as a trench coat as it's single-breasted etc.). It doesn't look too bad, but it's stiff and creaks a lot.

What products I could use on it to make it less stiff and so on?

the first thing I would do is treat the leather with something like Lexol or a pecards like substance. You might need to put two or three coats on to get enough to penetrate it. That right there might be enough to loosen it up.

Thanx!!!
Charlie

Harp

I'll Lock Up
BeauxArtStudent said:
Haven't read through all 45 pages of this thread but there was always one feature on the trench coat that confused me: the gun flap. What is it for?

To cushion the right shoulder from rifle recoil.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Harp said:
To cushion the right shoulder from rifle recoil.

What if it has double gun flaps?

I always figured the term "gun flap" was a misnomer. It (or they) act like the cape in the back do to provide an extra layer of protection from rain. The reason they do not go all the way to the bottom of the coat is because most rain falls on the chest, shoulders & upper back.

Futhermore, depending on the design, it can button over the very top of the coat to prevent rain from creeping in at the top.

Thanx!!!
Charlie

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Bruce Wayne said:
What if it has double gun flaps?

I always figured the term "gun flap" was a misnomer. It (or they) act like the cape in the back do to provide an extra layer of protection from rain.

Thanx!!!
Charlie

Perhaps the phrase gunstock pad is a misnomer. World War I trenchcoats did feature
double flaps which certainly added an extra layer to the garment front.
Some trenchcoats from the era only had a single pad flap.
Like the "pistol pocket"-whether one stores a revolver or a flask inside it-
the moniker stuck; though its purpose is open to martial/sartorial interpretation.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Some vintage reference pics.

004-9.jpg

003-10.jpg

002-10.jpg

mga1500

New in Town
Scotchguard a trenchcoat?

I found the trenchcoat of my dreams in a thrift shop for twenty dollars. I'm anxiously awaiting the cold wet rainstorms of winter. I've thought about applying Scotchguard waterproofing to it. Part of me says it's a great idea, it will increase both water and stain resistance. The other part of me says it's crazy, leave it alone, I'll just make a mess. Does anyone have thoughts or experiences to share. Thanks

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Test the water repellency of the fabric before you start spraying stuff on the coat. Some of those products can be deleterious to the color and handle of fabric.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Bruce, a fine article indeed, I love that website.

I have been meanging to ask something about the trench coat for a while now, I notice the fit on many photos seems a little bit roomier than most other coats, am I imagining things? Maybe it was that poppy seed and spinch florentine bagel I had this morning.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I see the article Bruce posted touches on this topic, but I'd like others opinions as well.

Last edited:

Daze

New in Town
Dannimac

I'm the happy owner of a danni mac Trenchcoat

only thing i can say is that it's a 'copy' of the armani trenchcoats used in the film the untouchables

i bought it for 250 quid on sale down from 400 ,

it's excellent , a round shouldered gray trench with a gray trilby.

i've been asked in the past by children 'Are you a detective?' when wearing this

I've also been asked by people i work with whether i'm the sort of person a detective would be looking for :p

( Flasher, or somebody with a shotgun under the coat just before entering a bank :p )

the Long Trench with the correct hat is a definate statement of ' Here I am , I look Good '

I've had an independant tailor ( currently making me some mtm trous,) say ' You look good , and that's good enough for me :D

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
I personally like my trench coat pretty slim fitting.

Could you post a pisture of a person wearing a trench coat "little roomier than other coats" so I can give my opinion on it?

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Of course, these photos are from the Art of Manliness article Bruce posted earlier.

The original trench:
Trench-Coat-WWI-Soldier.jpg

Bogie:
humphrey-bogart-trench-coat.jpg

The two coats in these photos really strike me as a bit roomy for the person's frame, and I too own a size 38 trench while my chest size is a 36, it looks a little roomy, sorry I do not yet have photos for that.

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
Bogie's coat does look a bit roomy, especially if he is wearing a suit under it and I think he is.

I can't really say anything about the first picture as the coat is unbuttoned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner