Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Well, the Essential Guide to Classic Men's Clothing states that trench coats are mostly for wet weather. If you're wearing a suit, then you should be wearing a top coat or over coat. Those are the pros opinion, but like the others say wear what you want.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Well, the Essential Guide to Classic Men's Clothing states that trench coats are mostly for wet weather. If you're wearing a suit, then you should be wearing a top coat or over coat. Those are the pros opinion, but like the others say wear what you want.

Perhaps this is a naive question, but is there such a thing as a lightweight topcoat or overcoat that could be worn in warmer weather like a trench coat?

Peacoat

Bartender
Perhaps this is a naive question, but is there such a thing as a lightweight topcoat or overcoat that could be worn in warmer weather like a trench coat?

Why would a "lightweight topcoat or overcoat" be needed in warm weather, unless it was raining, or perhaps snowing? Then the choice would be the water repellent trench coat.

anyexcuse

New in Town

Thanks, all! I do have a nice, long black "wool" dress coat that I wear over a suit or blazer in cold weather, but I think it is a little too dressy to wear on more casual occasions. Sounds like I can wear the trench coat even if it is not raining, if I am so inclined, without provoking the fashion gods. Thanks again.

Last edited:

The Lark

One of the Regulars
Tying a trench at the back

I have a couple of trench coats now and like to knot the belt behind me to bring in the waist. It also folds at the back in such a way as to almost create a frock-coat like shape. However, some people have poo-pooed this method and say that tying the belt at the back should never be done on a trench.

What do you think, is it a perfectly legit thing to do?

mflemming

One of the Regulars
I've done it that way for years. There is a way to fold the belt back on itself and buckle it so that it lies flat; my preferred method as it has a neat, finished look.

The Lark

One of the Regulars
Trench Coat grumble

So I have a Silverbelly VS and have been trying to find a trench coat to match it with. Everywhere I go I see women with trenches that would match my hat perfectly. No such luck for men. Apparently the "manly" version of beige is actually khaki. This frustrates me to end.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
ADMIN***There already is a Trenchcoat thread. Please let the 'search function' be your friend :) More enthusiasts will see it and be able to help you. Moving this across - Paddy.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
extra-image-1020.jpg

extra-image-1021.jpg

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you deciede to order one of Magnoli's Casablanca coats I suggest ordering it about 3 inches longer than you would want if you are going to waterproof it. I used Nikwax Cotton proof& the length of the coat shrank slightly because the directions stated to use warm water.

Thanx!!!
Charlie

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
So I have a Silverbelly VS and have been trying to find a trench coat to match it with. Everywhere I go I see women with trenches that would match my hat perfectly. No such luck for men. Apparently the "manly" version of beige is actually khaki. This frustrates me to end.

I have this which is much too large for me as you can see, its a Burberry with a woollen linning you can unzip, for warmer months

3643656050_0ee0866829_z.jpg

Yes! shocking photograph I know, it looks grey but its actualy Fawn, not a yellowy beige

The Lark

One of the Regulars
Just picked up this beauty the other day. English made houndstooth plaid trench. The pockets even have slits to put the belt through, which is new for me.

img0455gm.jpg

img0457ri.jpg

*this is closest to its true colour.

img0458y.jpg

img0468s.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana